Billy Gilmour - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Boy looks a talent.

More importantly, my mate think he’s on 50k a week at Chelsea. 

Cant find anything that backs this up and seems excessive for someone who’s just signed his first professional contract. Anyone know?

He joined Chelsea when he turned 16.  If they're giving him £50K a week someone down there wants shot.  I'd be surprised if he's on £5K a week.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Boy looks a talent.

More importantly, my mate think he’s on 50k a week at Chelsea. 

Cant find anything that backs this up and seems excessive for someone who’s just signed his first professional contract. Anyone know?

He's on nothing like that kind of money. If he is, then somebody hasn't told him or his parents! I spoke to somebody who knows the family fairly well, not long after he signed and whilst not going into figures, they suggested around the £3-4k mark, as in they said he'd be a top earner t most SPL clubs. He's already got a deal with Adidas too and they seem to be focusing a fair bit on him.

He's from same place as me, his dad Billy Snr was a cracking wee player too. In fact, his wee brother is in Killie's youth system.

Billy seems like a great kid though. Week after Toulon he was down the gym in Stevenston that my mate uses and was getting PT sessions when most other players would be straight on holiday. His interview on the BBC website today is outstanding.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

45 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's on nothing like that kind of money. If he is, then somebody hasn't told him or his parents! I spoke to somebody who knows the family fairly well, not long after he signed and whilst not going into figures, they suggested around the £3-4k mark, as in they said he'd be a top earner t most SPL clubs. He's already got a deal with Adidas too and they seem to be focusing a fair bit on him.

He's from same place as me, his dad Billy Snr was a cracking wee player too. In fact, his wee brother is in Killie's youth system.

Billy seems like a great kid though. Week after Toulon he was down the gym in Stevenston that my mate uses and was getting PT sessions when most other players would be straight on holiday. His interview on the BBC website today is outstanding.

Brilliant cheers 

It probably comes across as petty but my mate is a nightmare and regularly talks nonsense so anything to help prove this ridiculous claim is needed. 

53 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Watched him playing a bounce game for Rangers once. He must have been 15. Best player on the park by a long way. Hope he avoids injury- will be a major player for Scotland in the future.

6 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Watched him playing a bounce game for Rangers once. He must have been 15. Best player on the park by a long way. Hope he avoids injury- will be a major player for Scotland in the future.

I said on here the other month that I think he'll captain us by time he's 20.

He's got 3 years to prove me right! Captained the 21s at 16 so anything is possible.

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's on nothing like that kind of money. If he is, then somebody hasn't told him or his parents! I spoke to somebody who knows the family fairly well, not long after he signed and whilst not going into figures, they suggested around the £3-4k mark, as in they said he'd be a top earner at most SPL clubs. He's already got a deal with Adidas too and they seem to be focusing a fair bit on him.

That sounds a lot more realistic in terms of his wages and some amount of money for a 16 year old regardless.

As a comparison, Solanke who signed for Liverpool last year at 19 was supposedly demanding £50k a week  to sign a new contract at Chelsea and that figure was apparantly some way wide of the mark.

14 hours ago, aaid said:

That sounds a lot more realistic in terms of his wages and some amount of money for a 16 year old regardless.

As a comparison, Solanke who signed for Liverpool last year at 19 was supposedly demanding £50k a week  to sign a new contract at Chelsea and that figure was apparantly some way wide of the mark.

Was Josh Mceachran not meant to be on £40k a week at Chelsea a few years ago?

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

2 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Was Josh Mceachran not meant to be on £40k a week at Chelsea a few years ago?

Possibly, but the difference there was that McEachran had made around 20 appearances for the first team and was put on a long term contract on first team wages.   Obviously it all went Pete Tong for him after that but good to see he seems to be doing well at Brentford now.  

As an interesting aside.  I didn't see the game last night but I see that Ethan Ampadu played for Wales and apparently did well.   He's only a year older than Gilmour and he's already made more appearances for Wales (3) than he has for Chelsea (1).   He's also gone into the first team squad at Chelsea rather than into the development squad or out on loan.  He's a lot more physically developed and stronger than Gilmour is although it looks like he's working hard on that that aspect.   

A good indicator of Gilmour's progession at Chelsea will be if he makes the bench - and even his debut - for any League or FA Cup matches this season.   That's where Chelsea tend to give young players they fancy their debuts.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

As an interesting aside.  I didn't see the game last night but I see that Ethan Ampadu played for Wales and apparently did well.   He's only a year older than Gilmour and he's already made more appearances for Wales (3) than he has for Chelsea (1).   He's also gone into the first team squad at Chelsea rather than into the development squad or out on loan.  He's a lot more physically developed and stronger than Gilmour is although it looks like he's working hard on that that aspect.   

A good indicator of Gilmour's progession at Chelsea will be if he makes the bench - and even his debut - for any League or FA Cup matches this season.   That's where Chelsea tend to give young players they fancy their debuts.

I watched a bit of the game, had no idea who Ampadu was, and thought he looked excellent.  Didn't realise he was as young as that, I'd have thought about 20-21 from looking at him.