Scotland. Would you ever leave? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland. Would you ever leave?

Would you, or have you ever thought about leaving Scotland? I was 8 when I left. It was not my choice. Looking back now, I wish I had never left Scotland. In saying that, I have a wonderful wife and 2 Bhoys I adore with all my heart. I have a great job, loads of Scottish mates, I play football, darts, and I coach both my Bhoys football. There is something missing though. I have been here 42 years, and I miss Scotland everyday. How can someone who has lived here 42 years feel that way. Is it Scotland? I play the Bagpipes, all my mates are Scottish, and that is the truth. They are all like me, they miss home. I love the rain, it makes me think of home. Yes, home! I may have been here nearly my whole life, but Scotland is home. The pride I feel in my heart,  my blood boils when I play my Pipes, to me, being born in Scotland is the greatest feeling on earth. Watching Scotland play at Hampden. A lot of folk that I have met, that left Scotland say the same thing. Your heart and soul never leaves Bonnie Scotland. I know there will be folk that will read this and say awe Ramys drunk again, or what a Helmut, thickness fuck. No drink. Just setting the record straight. Yae know, does not bother me. I am who I am, I will never change. My wife knows how I feel about Scotland. I say be thankful you have A country that makes you feel that way. Be proud man, I am. 

So, anyone thought about leaving? Or have left Scotland and feel the same as I do.....  Alba Gu Brath.. BR 1314

U get one life. I stay in Scotland and will never leave. And if i was taken away by aliens (no offence Scotty). I would still return. I like u big man but all this sentimental pish about loving your own country does not wash with scots who stay here. Playing pipes tae bonnie galloway does not make u a Scotsman i am afraid.

I have never left scotland and although open to a few years away, scotland is my home and i will always return, i am a hame loon born in scotland and will be laid to rest here. This will sound alien to some but i have an attachment to the land, culture and history which is really hard to explain.I am scotland daft and make no excuses, its a brilliant country with even more potential 👍

14 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

"be proud man". My apologies to the ladies on this forum. Just a figure of speech. 

No apology needed Ramy, certainly not from me. I probably fall somewhere betwen a man and a woman right enough. 

I moved to Jersey ( channel islands ) for 4 years when I was 20. I really liked it but every time I came back to Scotland for a holiday I actually felt quite emotional flying into Glasgow airport .

In those days there were  no mobile phones or internet so you could only keep in touch with people using a landline phone or by writing a letter. I could only afford to phone my mum once a week for a very short call, most of my communication was by letter. So when you came back it was so exciting. My mum  kept some of the letters and showed me one recently. At the end  I told her i was running out of paper and I had to keep my last sheet to write to my Granpa as it was a Sunday and no shops were opened to buy more. Things have changed so much since then. 

Well apart from the fact I still write realms and realms of shite. 

Unlike you I hate the rain, and the weather is the one thing that could  persuade me to move from Scotland. But I could never move away permanently , maybe a few months a year. I love Scotland for all its faults  And if we could have a summer like this one every year I would be perfectly happy. 

I like your passion, dont lose it ❤️ 

Used to think I'd never leave but the older I get I can definitely see me and the missus retiring somewhere with a better climate.  In fact it's something I've started squirreling a few quid away for over the last few years.  May come to nothing in which case I'll just buy a sports car but I've definitely got one eye on it.

3 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Like being near my family and friends too much to leave. Wish we had better weather and weren't part of the union but other than that I love living here.

That's kinda how I feel.

I love travelling but I've never been anywhere where I've thought I'd rather live there than Scotland. That includes the usual Australia etc.

9 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Used to think I'd never leave but the older I get I can definitely see me and the missus retiring somewhere with a better climate.  In fact it's something I've started squirreling a few quid away for over the last few years.  May come to nothing in which case I'll just buy a sports car but I've definitely got one eye on it.

My mum and dad retired last year (61 & 62) and I thought they'd maybe do the same but not so sure. They just seem to go on shit loads of holidays haha

18 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Would you, or have you ever thought about leaving Scotland? I was 8 when I left. It was not my choice. Looking back now, I wish I had never left Scotland. In saying that, I have a wonderful wife and 2 Bhoys I adore with all my heart. I have a great job, loads of Scottish mates, I play football, darts, and I coach both my Bhoys football. There is something missing though. I have been here 42 years, and I miss Scotland everyday. How can someone who has lived here 42 years feel that way. Is it Scotland? I play the Bagpipes, all my mates are Scottish, and that is the truth. They are all like me, they miss home. I love the rain, it makes me think of home. Yes, home! I may have been here nearly my whole life, but Scotland is home. The pride I feel in my heart,  my blood boils when I play my Pipes, to me, being born in Scotland is the greatest feeling on earth. Watching Scotland play at Hampden. A lot of folk that I have met, that left Scotland say the same thing. Your heart and soul never leaves Bonnie Scotland. I know there will be folk that will read this and say awe Ramys drunk again, or what a Helmut, thickness fuck. No drink. Just setting the record straight. Yae know, does not bother me. I am who I am, I will never change. My wife knows how I feel about Scotland. I say be thankful you have A country that makes you feel that way. Be proud man, I am. 

So, anyone thought about leaving? Or have left Scotland and feel the same as I do.....  Alba Gu Brath.. BR 1314

Only someone that doesn’t live in Scotland or isn’t Scottish could come away with that drivel. 👍 

Were you an extra in that Disney movie Brave by any chance ? 

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Only someone that doesn’t live in Scotland or isn’t Scottish could come away with that drivel. 👍 

Were you an extra in that Disney movie Brave by any chance ? 

Where you an extra in that film One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by chance?

Had a chance at 26 to relocate to Mississauga through my work, and had it planned and flights booked. 

Three months prior to leaving, my work sold off their North American business that I was going out to Manage.  

Four years later, I'm married, bought a house and had a child!

Without a doubt I would move in a heartbeat if/when the chance presents itself though.  I guess now having the wee one means it would be selfish as my folks and my wife's family wouldn't see my daughter.  

Maybe when I'm older.  

I did a couple of years in Germany but it was for work and was never going to be forever. 

I got paid for flights home once a month so was never away for more than 4 weeks at a time. Enjoyed my time there but I love being home again.

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

No apology needed Ramy, certainly not from me. I probably fall somewhere betwen a man and a woman right enough. 

I moved to Jersey ( channel islands ) for 4 years when I was 20. I really liked it but every time I came back to Scotland for a holiday I actually felt quite emotional flying into Glasgow airport .

In those days there were  no mobile phones or internet so you could only keep in touch with people using a landline phone or by writing a letter. I could only afford to phone my mum once a week for a very short call, most of my communication was by letter. So when you came back it was so exciting. My mum  kept some of the letters and showed me one recently. At the end  I told her i was running out of paper and I had to keep my last sheet to write to my Granpa as it was a Sunday and no shops were opened to buy more. Things have changed so much since then. 

Well apart from the fact I still write realms and realms of shite. 

Unlike you I hate the rain, and the weather is the one thing that could  persuade me to move from Scotland. But I could never move away permanently , maybe a few months a year. I love Scotland for all its faults  And if we could have a summer like this one every year I would be perfectly happy. 

I like your passion, dont lose it ❤️ 

Thank you..😊😊

On 9/5/2018 at 3:46 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I stay in Scotland, have done all my life and nowhere near all my mates are Scottish so fuck knows how you've managed that in Canada.

It's quite simple. My best mates over here are from Scotland. 2 from Glasgow, one from Kilmarnock, one from Dumfries, one from Hamilton, the other from Dundee. We play football , darts, golf.  We drink in the same pubs. I have loads of pals from all over, but my best mates, the lads I trust, are Scottish. We all support different clubs, Celtic, Sevco, Dundee FC, Kilmarnock,, but we all support Scotland, and we always have each other's back. No matter what...  

I have worked abroad for most of the last 25 years - every 3-4 years have moved to work somewhere different but every 8 years or so have had a work opportunity back home (Glasgow) and have taken it. Love living in Glasgow but love working abroad also so happy to do both as the opportunity presents itself. I get a bit pissed off about the weather, the litter and the shite that is Glasgow Council but I probably take it all more personally than similar problems with places I have lived in/worked in abroad. 

I vote Greens/SNP, would give anything to see independence, and go to as many Scotland gams as I can. However I am not patriotic in the slightest - I follow Scotland as a national team as I was born/raised here but don't take any pride in being where I am from. I am happy being Scottish but am sure would be equally happy being Swiss for example. I vote independence solely for the purpose of self determination and how I consider Scotland would be so much better off and a nicer society if we took all our own decisions. 

When I am working abroad I tend to avoid expat circles and particularly look to avoid "professional Scots"......

20 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

When I am working abroad I tend to avoid expat circles and particularly look to avoid "professional Scots"......

Think i have similar experiences.  And i know exactly what you're on about here.

I would move away for periods at a time and would consider it permanently.  It totally depends which part of Scotland you're in.  I think Glasgow is great for 3 years, after that the novelty wears off.  Everyone's experience is different though.

I always fancied going abroad to live and work for a few years but i'm unsure if it'll ever happen now. My-ex was against it and just after i split with her my brother passed away and it would've been very selfish to even consider it then. 

Now my nephews and niece are getting older and my maw and dad coping better i'm yearning a bit for a change of scenario/lifestyle again.

I've started a subtle badgering of my g/f regarding it in the hope she'll eventually fancy the idea. I'm fancying a year or two in NYC while we're still young and able to take full advantage of the fast-paced NYC lifestyle, then see where it takes us. 

I think long-term, i'd absolutely love to live in Barcelona. I absolutely love the place. 

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

It's quite simple. My best mates over here are from Scotland. 2 from Glasgow, one from Kilmarnock, one from Dumfries, one from Hamilton, the other from Dundee. We play football , darts, golf.  We drink in the same pubs. I have loads of pals from all over, but my best mates, the lads I trust, are Scottish. We all support different clubs, Celtic, Sevco, Dundee FC, Kilmarnock,, but we all support Scotland, and we always have each other's back. No matter what...  

That's not what you said though!

PS - What your Killie supporting mate called?

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think long-term, i'd absolutely love to live in Barcelona. I absolutely love the place. 

Aye that's one city I could defo move to.

I had mates who went to uni there so visited a lot. Got mates over there just now and one runs a bar so been over seeing them. It's an amazing city, shites all over Madrid.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye that's one city I could defo move to.

I had mates who went to uni there so visited a lot. Got mates over there just now and one runs a bar so been over seeing them. It's an amazing city, shites all over Madrid.

What's his bar? I'm heading across next Friday. (Then on to Madrid :lol: )