Jack Harper - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Harper

mrniaboc

I've definitely fallen into the trap of getting too excited about this lad before, but now he has started 4 games in a row and last night scored a lovely goal to help Malaga stay top of La Liga 2 he finally feels like a more tangible prospect. I wonder if he keeps starting and scoring over the next 4 weeks whether he might be selected for the next squad?

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I've definitely fallen into the trap of getting too excited about this lad before, but now he has started 4 games in a row and last night scored a lovely goal to help Malaga stay top of La Liga 2 he finally feels like a more tangible prospect. I wonder if he keeps starting and scoring over the next 4 weeks whether he might be selected for the next squad?

I think he still has a long way to go before he can be considered for the Scotland squad but it is good to see him finally playing first team football.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

It looks to be a good level (no doubt higher than the SPFL), with proper crowds and so on. 

38 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It looks to be a good level (no doubt higher than the SPFL), with proper crowds and so on. 

It seemed like a decent level, not sure if it's higher or lower than English championship, looked slightly lower imo. Hopefully he can perform well there and then move up a level to la Liga. Either way it's good to see him finally make a breakthrough, looks like he was playing deeper so he may not be a striker which is where we are short on.

Far to early to be thinking about a Scotland call up (unless he goes out and scores week in week out for the next 3/4 weeks) but keep up playing and scoring goals like he did last night, and he will certainly make Ecks attention in the not to distant future, certainly going into the Euro Qualifiers in 2019.

Malaga's Middle East owners have kind of grew tired of the club of late and hardly spent a penny in the summer, instead recalling a lot of loan players they shipped out and promoting a number of youth team players (including Harper), and so far has seen them have a good start to the league.

Lets just see if Harper progresses from this, as he has got himself into the team, and now got his first league goal, but still far to early to be talking about a Scotland call up.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It seemed like a decent level, not sure if it's higher or lower than English championship, looked slightly lower imo. Hopefully he can perform well there and then move up a level to la Liga. Either way it's good to see him finally make a breakthrough, looks like he was playing deeper so he may not be a striker which is where we are short on.

Yeah I'm really not sure how the strength of La Liga 2 compares to the Championship, but it can't be that far behind. Assuming it's close then every 90 minutes he plays and every goal he gets should add some good weight to his consideration, especially considering his only competition is coming from Scottish Premiership, English Championship, and MLS players. 

I fancy betting a wee pint he makes it into the squad for the matches this November.

23 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Yeah I'm really not sure how the strength of La Liga 2 compares to the Championship, but it can't be that far behind. Assuming it's close then every 90 minutes he plays and every goal he gets should add some good weight to his consideration, especially considering his only competition is coming from Scottish Premiership, English Championship, and MLS players. 

I fancy betting a wee pint he makes it into the squad for the matches this November.

Its a real mixed bag, but the teams towards the bottom are usually not to a great standard.... while like the championship you do get "feel good"stories of a regional team from a one horse town going up now and and again, what happens mostly in the teams who are relegated from La Liga usually go straight back up, or at worst 2 or 3 seasons in that league before finally getting back up again (exception being Mallorca, who actually suffered a further relegation), so its no great surprise Mallaga have started the league well and considered one of the favorites to go up. 

Very good he's finally getting a run somewhere.

I actually didn't think he was a striker, thought he was number 10/attacking midfielder?

Anyway Malaga started the season well and look good for instant return to La Liga. Segunda is similar level to championship so he should certainly be in with a chance next few months if he keeps starting games.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The promising thing here is Malaga are top of the league on a 100% record and Jack Harper seems to be tying down a regular starting spot in the side and he has a goal under his belt. Looking up for him so fingers crossed. 

He seems to be switched on and have the right mental attitude from the very little i have read and seen of him which will hopefully help him to a decent level 

First team football is essential for him now so its good to see he's getting it and who knows where he will be in a couple of seasons 

16 minutes ago, borojock said:

He seems to be switched on and have the right mental attitude from the very little i have read and seen of him which will hopefully help him to a decent level 

First team football is essential for him now so its good to see he's getting it and who knows where he will be in a couple of seasons 

Yes it is key now he beds into the team and gets matches under his belt giving him a chance to make an impression. Hopefully, he is on our scouts radar and are aware of him so they can keep an eye on his progress.

One thing that is apparent to me is Wales have not had problems throwing in youngsters with potential even though they have precious little first team club experience and it hasn't done them any harm. I reckon we should look to go the same route. Look to bed youngsters in and get them in the side in place of some of the floundering dead wood. Just a thought.