Gazza - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

45 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Fuck me, So because somebody is ill they should go into the hall of fame

There’s no problem with Gazza going into th hall of fame. The fact he played for Rangers is clouding people’s judgement 

It makes no odds who he played for, where he’s from or who is best goal is against. He was one of the nest players on the continent when up here and at one time the world

Theres a separate hall of fame for the international game. Earn your 50 caps and you’ll be in there

The wife beater played for 2.5 seasons. That enough to constitute an inclusion to a hall of fame? Not for me, absolute bollox.

Guest faircity

A woman beater, convictions for drink driving, racially abusing others, assault. A known bigot, drug user, alky.

What is wrong with cunts in this country. Anywhere else he would be treated with, at best, ambivalence yet here he is seen as a legend. Unreal. 

On 10/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Most apprpriate would be Fernando Ricksen especially given what has happened to him since leaving Rangers.

He would still have the required level of 'Oranje peal' (as would Arthur Numan)..

Im sorry, but fuck Fernando Ricksen getting an entry into the Hall of Fame. What has happened to him is a shame, but an overly aggressive, slightly above average right back doesnt deserve a place in it. I could name about 20 players that played at Ibrox with him that deserve it more than him, let alone in the wider Scottish game.

Gazza shouldnt get in it for his off field antics alone.

27 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Im sorry, but fuck Fernando Ricksen getting an entry into the Hall of Fame. What has happened to him is a shame, but an overly aggressive, slightly above average right back doesnt deserve a place in it. I could name about 20 players that played at Ibrox with him that deserve it more than him, let alone in the wider Scottish game.

Fair enough - come forth with your 20 players then - you said it, so let us judge.

28 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Totally agree. Horrible illness that I wouldn’t wish on anyone and wish him all the best but a ridiculous suggestion. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Why is it a ridiculous suggestion?

Ridiculous is strong but I don’t see why ricksen would deserve to be in the hall of fame, he was a divisive figure and not really that good. 

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don't disagree VDA - but if one of that lot has to be inducted to the hall of fame, I'll have Ricksen over Gazza every minute of the day.

Just my opinion though.

No issue with that opinion, I’d rather neither were inducted. I’ve given up trying to understand the SFA and the SPFL.

the decision to add Gazza to the hall of fame is a stupid decision in a long long long long line of stupid decisions by the SFA

If they want to add a former Rangers player from recent years then and Jörg Albertz* and Stefan Klos and have much better claims than Gascoigne.

Sean Fallon, Jimmy Quinn, Charlie Tully, Jimmy McMenemy* or Tommy Burns for Celtic.

Could also add Kilmarnock's long serving league title winning captain Frank Beattie, Motherwell's & Cardiff City ultimately tragic high goalscoring legend Hughie Ferguson* or Midlesbrough, Dunfermline and Chelsea hero inter-war goalscoring hero Andy Wilson.

Aberdeen's Drew Jarvie, Joe Harper, Fred Martin, or Alex Cheyne who's 1929 goal against England allegedly is responsible for the phrase "Hampden Roar".

Put any one of the above in but don't put Gascoigne in FFS.

*My three main choices. Give Jimmy McMenemy and Highie Ferguson a google to read about their great careers "back in the day"..

Gazza was phenomenal in Scotland. One of the best individual performances was his hat trick against the sheep to seal 8 in a row! 

His breakaway goal (header) away to Celtic at Parkhead was also a marvellous team goal on top of his performance for the team that night. 

People's judgements of him are clouded due to his disgusting past, and there may be a right right to that...

If we are to dismiss 'footballing ability' and contributions to Scottish football based on a person out with the game.  Jimmy Johnstone was an alcoholic who beat his wife... it's ridiculous to omit him over this?

Edited by Debian

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fair enough - come forth with your 20 players then - you said it, so let us judge.

Ok, now Im not a hun, but I think these players played with Ricksen during his time there....

Klos, McGregor

Whittaker, Hutton, Amoruso, Moore, Hendry, Numan, De Boer

Albertz, Ferguson, Van Bronckurst, Thomson, McCann, Kanchelskis, De Boer

Arveladze, Lovenkrands, Miller, Wallace

A struggle getting to 20 to be honest.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Why is it a ridiculous suggestion?

It is, lets be nice to him and give him something he doesnt deserve, just because of whats happened to him. Theres no need to rewrite history, he was an aggressive thug of a player, who was more often than not Rangers weak link in defence.

Edited by kumnio

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ok, now Im not a hun, but I think these players played with Ricksen during his time there....

Klos, McGregor

Whittaker, Hutton, Amoruso, Moore, Hendry, Numan, De Boer

Albertz, Ferguson, Van Bronckurst, Thomson, McCann, Kanchelskis, De Boer

Arveladze, Lovenkrands, Miller, Wallace

A struggle getting to 20 to be honest.

Even then you said De Boer twice 😜