Gazza - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Whoever was in charge of this has created a complete fuck up!

We now have petitions for Gazza to get in the hall of Fame and other petitions to have folk removed.

It’s given the huns a cause and a massive stick to try and beat everyone with, unfortunately they appear to have given the stick to a kid to twirl and throw in the air with their attempts to blacken the names of others.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if Gazza never entered the hall of fame, but by announcing it, then changing their minds they’ve created a circus.

You need to stop posting sensible comments or you'll get yourself a ban. 😀 

Totally agree. He should never have been nominated but now they've made it a total PR disaster for themselves. 

Just another fuck up on their ever growing list. 

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Whoever was in charge of this has created a complete fuck up!

We now have petitions for Gazza to get in the hall of Fame and other petitions to have folk removed.

It’s given the huns a cause and a massive stick to try and beat everyone with, unfortunately they appear to have given the stick to a kid to twirl and throw in the air with their attempts to blacken the names of others.

Nobody would have batted an eyelid if Gazza never entered the hall of fame, but by announcing it, then changing their minds they’ve created a circus.

You're correct. However, they've made the correct decision in the end. 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, aaid said:

Gascoigne should never have been nominated in the first place for all sorts of reasons and whoever suggested it needs to take a good look at themselves for thinking it was a good idea in the first place.

Not to decry Tommy Burns at all, as a footballer, manager and a man but I can't see how he would be anywhere near inclusion.   A good solid career as a player with Celtic and Kilmarnock and a mixed one as a manager isn't worthy of inclusion into the HoF in my book.    A legend as far as Celtic and Kilmarnock are concerned, fair enough, and by all accounts one of the good guys but I could think of loads of people more deserving of inclusion.

Exactly the people thinking about this are way too close to the Old Firm it would see, Paul Gascoigne and Tommy Burns HoF??

I only really understand the HoF from a boxing perspective and basketball (somewhat) but it seem very parochial.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

Exactly the people thinking about this are way too close to the Old Firm it would see, Paul Gascoigne and Tommy Burns HoF??

I only really understand the HoF from a boxing perspective and basketball (somewhat) but it seem very parochial.

To expand on this, folk still to do this day bemoan the fact that Bill Walton is allowed in the Basketball Hall of Fame as he was basically injured every year of his career bar 2. Yet he won the championship in both years he was healthy. If it was just the NBA hall of fame he wouldn't get in, but he was also one of the best college players of all time and put up 4 healthy years and unbeaten seasons. So he get's in but folk still complain.

41 minutes ago, phart said:

There are two Halls of Fame.   The first one is that SFA Hall of fame which started off as being for - male - players who got 50 'A' caps.

I doubt that at that point anyone could really complain about any of the inaugural members as they were all genuine legendary players.

Then a couple of things happened.   Firstly there were a lot of deserving cases who didn't have the required 50 caps largely because when they played a lot fewer games and careers didn't last as long in a lot of cases than they do now, guys like Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone.  

Then you started to get some guys getting to - or approaching -the 50 cap level who, frankly could not be considered to the quality of many of those who were excluded.  

The Scottish Football Hall of Fame started off pretty decently and again if you look at the original list of inductees you aren't really going to complain about any of them.

Started getting a bit silly when Larsson and Laudrup were inducted but, tbf, both of them had extended careers in Scotland and were genuine quality players and were at the top of their game when they played here.

I think the whole thing has gotten a bit ridiculous in recent years which I think is for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, you've probably already inducted everyone from the past that really deserves to be in there and secondly, they have this big annual gala dinner which they need to sell tickets for.   Here's a radical idea, if there aren't any worthy candidates, don't have an induction.

Some of the recent entries are laughable, IMHO, George Graham, Terry Butcher, Ally MacLeod, Gary McAllister, Jock Wallace, Scot Symon, Frank McLintock, Queens Park, the Lisbon Lions - when they are all individual members - and the biggest joke of the lot, Archie McPherson.

Edit - Just to clarify, Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967 is one of - if not the - biggest achievements in Scottish Football.    The  members of that team are - rightly - all inductees.   There is no need for "The Lisbon Lions" to be separately inducted other than to sell tables at £1000 a throw or whatever it costs.

Edited by aaid

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

Then a couple of things happened.   Firstly there were a lot of deserving cases who didn't have the required 50 caps largely because when they played a lot fewer games and careers didn't last as long in a lot of cases than they do now, guys like Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone.  

My Gran has bee following football over 80 years now and that's the two players she waxes lyrical about 

Cheers for taking the time to type that out for me. I knew about the 50 cap one, but not anything else.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

My Gran has bee following football over 80 years now and that's the two players she waxes lyrical about 

Cheers for taking the time to type that out for me. I knew about the 50 cap one, but not anything else.

or moan ormond and parklife never seen baxter or jinky. but they are now experts on the game. but hey ho i am on ignore from hese two football experts,

3 hours ago, phart said:

I wasn't saying Tommy Burns had to be in the Hall of Fame. Just pointing out at least one more worthy entrant than Gazza, in my opinion. 

Having said that, Im not a fan of these things either. 

As a one off, maybe, but not as an annual thing. 

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I wasn't saying Tommy Burns had to be in the Hall of Fame. Just pointing out at least one more worthy entrant than Gazza, in my opinion. 

Having said that, Im not a fan of these things either. 

As a one off, maybe, but not as an annual thing. 

I didn't even notice who said it, now Aaid has gave me more complete information i can totally see why they would be possibly included.

8 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

or moan ormond and parklife never seen baxter or jinky. but they are now experts on the game. but hey ho i am on ignore from hese two football experts,

I'm sorry for being too young to see these guys. I also never claimed to be an expert. 

Do you work for the daily record? 

49 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm sorry for being too young to see these guys. I also never claimed to be an expert. 

Do you work for the daily record? 

I can’t see that fat wank’s comments now unless they are quoted. He really needs to give up. 

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Could someone please tell ormond i am not fat. Second bit could be right maybe. But defnately no fat. I dont eat enough. Please pass this on to mr ormond somebody ☺

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Can you pass this on to Ormond.  No I don't work for the Record.  My ramblings are too sofisticated for yon paper surely!

Happy to help oot.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

A massive own goal again by the SFA

McCoist knows nothing about Scottish football outside anything rangers and Alan Brazil knows nothing about Scottish football full stop!!!

the correct decision was made in the end but he should never have been nominated in the first place.

as someone already stated on this thread, they’ve made an absolute shit stain of the hall of fame when you look back at the inductees 

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

McCoist knows nothing about Scottish football outside anything rangers and Alan Brazil knows nothing about Scottish football full stop!!!

the correct decision was made in the end but he should never have been nominated in the first place.

as someone already stated on this thread, they’ve made an absolute shit stain of the hall of fame when you look back at the inductees 

Agree except for the bit i have highlighted which is clearly pish

61 appearances for the National team not to mention National team coach for 3 years

Two years at St Johnstone and 3 at Killie

The SFA have given everyone a stick to beat them with

If we are going purely on footballing ability and contribution to the Scottish game not to mention those already inducted there obviously is an argument for Gascoigne to be considered

Andy Goram is in it and he is a bonafide bigot

Edited by Ally Bongo

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree except for the bit i have highlighted which is clearly pish

61 appearances for the National team not to mention National team coach for 3 years

Two years at St Johnstone and 3 at Killie

The SFA have given everyone a stick to beat them with

If we are going purely on footballing ability and contribution to the Scottish game not to mention those already inducted there obviously is an argument for Gascoigne to be considered

Andy Goram is in it and he is a bonafide bigot

McLeish has won European trophies, countless appearances for Scotland and managed rangers...........at present he doesn’t have much of a clue. Making appearances for Scotland at player level doesn’t mean mccoist knows anything

not sure if you’ve heard mccoist talk but he’s as clueless as Alex Rae 😂

I agree with you if it’s all based in ability but as I said, the hall of fame is laughable. Only the SFA would see those inducted as a good thing. I’d scrap the whole fucking thing, it’s been totally transfer by the ineptitude of the SFA

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

McLeish has won European trophies, countless appearances for Scotland and managed rangers...........at present he doesn’t have much of a clue. Making appearances for Scotland at player level doesn’t mean mccoist knows anything

not sure if you’ve heard mccoist talk but he’s as clueless as Alex Rae 😂

I agree with you if it’s all based in ability but as I said, the hall of fame is laughable. Only the SFA would see those inducted as a good thing. I’d scrap the whole fucking thing, it’s been totally transfer by the ineptitude of the SFA

Get yer whippet oot. And bottle of cider. Remind me who you played for again? Sorry. U will have me on ignore. Could someone else pass this on to this football experr?

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Get yer whippet oot. And bottle of cider. Remind me who you played for again? Sorry. U will have me on ignore. Could someone else pass this on to this football experr?

Are you trying to be a stupid cunt on purpose, if so you deserve an oscar.

Does many of the posters on here visit the Football museum at Hampden, if not, then does it really matter what name is on a wall.  Going by the posts on this page alone next to no one visits. No sticking up for Gazza,  given Archie Macpherson, George Graham, Terry Butcher et al are included in the same category,  

Again, Does it really matter?  This is ONLY about Scottish fitba.

P, s Wee Fergus should be nominated also.

Edited by The White Ceelo
!