Gazza - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

22 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm off to arrange a private function where we'll all sing "send the pakis home". 

Obviously we won't really mean it and  everyone there will be singing along, so that's okay. What a laugh it's going to be! 

You've deliberately chosen a more extreme example that doesn't really work in the same way. You know as well as I do that there is much more tolerance towards the Rangers v Celtic stuff than there ever would be to people singing something like what you describe.

It took me two minutes to find this video: 

Edited by George Saint

Clicked submit too early. So, as I was trying to say....that video clearly has audible a good number of people singing exactly what Gazza sung. Are you telling me, Parklife, that had those fans been singing about "pakis", that a far greater fuss wouldn't have been made about it?

The fact is that this kind of stuff is ingrained in the Rangers v Celtic rivalry. I could go on YouTube and find numerous videos of inappropriate things being sung. Here's one from Celtic fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wkjcHahdU

I would argue that mocking the death of other human beings is far far worse than singing a fairly lame song about "f*ck the pope and the ira".

I'm not saying it's right and that in an ideal world it wouldn't be preferable that nobody ever sang an insulting or unkind song about anyone else, but just that in the grand scheme of things, I don't think what Gascoigne did is a big deal - especially, as I have repeatedly said, given when and where it occurred. It would have been different if he'd stood outside a catholic church and done it, because that would have been deliberately provocative.

Context is important in these things. People say things on here about being glad that Thatcher is deid, etc. Other times like faircity above you'll see a post with 'cunt this, cunt that'. Would that person speak like that in public? I doubt it.

These sorts of things would always have happened. The only difference now is that someone is always there to film it and post online. I'm more worried by people that I genuinely think are full of hatred and prejudice, rather than those that just occasionally get carried away and say or do something silly. I put Gascoigne in the latter category. He's not the brightest, he's not the most mentally stable, and he's always been the sort who would do something without thinking and in order to please others and be seen as the clown. That's how I look at his behaviour on that occasion.

You're arguing something that's not what i'm saying. 

I don't give a fuck what bigoted wanks and enablers of bigotry tolerate. I give a fuck about right and wrong and Gazza is a bigoted wank. Just because there are loads of other bigoted wanks that support Rangers, that doesn't make his behaviour any more acceptable. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Parklife will be raging.

:lol:

I’m not particularly happy either, a former England International who’s most famous goal was against Scotland.

I’m sure there’s more deserving players who were far better ambassadors for the game than that clown.

What Celtic player are they inducting?

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Might campaign for Di Canio. If we're going down the route of drunken domestic abusers then we may as well throw a fascist into the mix.

I’m guessing Henrik Larsson if he’s not already in?

Di Canio would fit the bill though as you say.

Bob Malcolm narrowly missed the cut.

57 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye, that fine balance again to keep everyone happy 😏

Aye. They don’t even try to hide it anymore. An absolute fucking embarrassment our game is. Which is why it’s all the more galling when you hear either side of the Old-Firm cry about injustice. 

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

A player that played what 80 games and is getting into a hall of fame?

An utterly bizarre reward but it is Scottish Football.

If they have to have a "Rangers man" inducted into it, then surely Jörg Albertz (I'm sure he's not in it) is a much better option than Gascoigne ?

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If they have to have a "Rangers man" inducted into it, then surely Jörg Albertz (I'm sure he's not in it) is a much better option than Gascoigne ?

Most apprpriate would be Fernando Ricksen especially given what has happened to him since leaving Rangers.

He would still have the required level of 'Oranje peal' (as would Arthur Numan)..

Edited by Barney Rubble

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

@Parklife will be raging.

:lol:

I’m not particularly happy either, a former England International who’s most famous goal was against Scotland.

I’m sure there’s more deserving players who were far better ambassadors for the game than that clown.

What Celtic player are they inducting?

He's not the first England player to be inducted (although I'm surprised Joe Baker isn't in it).

In terms of balance I'm more annoyed Archie's in it but Arthur isnae...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_Hall_of_Fame

On 9/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, faircity said:

Why isn't Tommy Burns there? 

If the nomination process is a public vote then it looks like an organised clump of idiocy has voted for Gazza.

Far more depressing is the omission of Burns. 

On 10/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, Barney Rubble said:

Most apprpriate would be Fernando Ricksen especially given what has happened to him since leaving Rangers.

He would still have the required level of 'Oranje peal' (as would Arthur Numan)..

Fuck me, So because somebody is ill they should go into the hall of fame

There’s no problem with Gazza going into th hall of fame. The fact he played for Rangers is clouding people’s judgement 

It makes no odds who he played for, where he’s from or who is best goal is against. He was one of the nest players on the continent when up here and at one time the world

Theres a separate hall of fame for the international game. Earn your 50 caps and you’ll be in there