Why don't Police carry guns in Scotland? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why don't Police carry guns in Scotland?

19 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

That maybe answers your own question Ramy.

OK USA, not Canada, but I mind walking into a sports shop in a shopping mall there looking at shirts or something, and being taken aback at guns on the wall... between basket balls and vitamins or whatever.   Pump action shotguns and automatic pistols.   You know, sports equipment.   And that was Northern California, not Texas.

Folk at work there spoke of one guy (so not a common thing) who had a "collection".   They were not comfortable with him; like 'stay away from the dangerous weirdo'.   So I'm thinking folk are not that different there, but the laws allow nuts too much scope for expression.

You go for bread and milk at Wal-mart here and the guns and ammo are in the next aisle. No joke.

I’m away for a pint just now and about 90% of the people in the pub will own guns(males and females) and not just one gun each either. 

Edited by Ormond

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You go for bread and milk at Wal-mart here and the guns and ammo are in the next aisle. No joke.

I’m away for a pint just now and about 90% of the people in the pub will own guns(males and females) and not just one gun each either. 

Sad but true. 

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Sad but true. 

And yet your adopted countries (USA and Canada) have massively different rates of gun murders, mass shootings etc. Both countries are awash with guns, but only one seems to have a problem with them (the USA).

There are European countries where gun ownership is similar to N. American (Austria i think? Might be Switzerland, can't remember), yet you don't get the same gun madness.

The problem is deeper than just gun availability.

Absolutely deeper than access to guns.  

What I also find somewhat interesting is after each mass shooting, the media, Hollywood and mostly left leaning politicians will call for gun control etc  however a lot of these people will most likely have armed security and locked gates etc for protection. 

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

Can they just stroll into the local for a couple of pints, tooled up?

11 hours ago, Dave78 said:

And yet your adopted countries (USA and Canada) have massively different rates of gun murders, mass shootings etc. Both countries are awash with guns, but only one seems to have a problem with them (the USA).

There are European countries where gun ownership is similar to N. American (Austria i think? Might be Switzerland, can't remember), yet you don't get the same gun madness.

The problem is deeper than just gun availability.

Canada is not even close to the bawbaggedness of the US with guns.

The US will never be my “adopted” country. They do my fucking head in. 

11 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Absolutely deeper than access to guns.  

What I also find somewhat interesting is after each mass shooting, the media, Hollywood and mostly left leaning politicians will call for gun control etc  however a lot of these people will most likely have armed security and locked gates etc for protection. 

This is the pish that the redneck Republican nutjobs come away with.

Just now, Kirk said:

Yes 😂😂 some states I believe you have to have it holstered and showing or something but yes

My mate touches down in a couple of hours and we’re going right tae the boozer. I’m praying some cunt has one strapped to them tonight just to see my mate’s pus. I remember how shocked I was when I first arrived. 

55 minutes ago, Ormond said:

My mate touches down in a couple of hours and we’re going right tae the boozer. I’m praying some cunt has one strapped to them tonight just to see my mate’s pus. I remember how shocked I was when I first arrived. 

Haha yeah I was in San Diego with a couple of American friends and I spotted a guy getting out his truck with his on his belt and made comment, they found it funny that me and the Oz's were a bit shocked. Scary really

I might have this wrong, but is it an offence to carry a concealed weapon in the US, but an offence to carry an unconcealed weapon in the UK?

I've been in the hills here and seen guys on Argocats with rifles wrapped up on the back.   So in the US, holstered weapon is OK, but glovebox not?

What's the logic?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:39 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My younger brother is a Police Officer in Ottawa, he carries a firearm, thank fuck. I love my brother, we are very close, I like the fact that if some cnut attacks or God forbid shoots at him, he can protect himself.

Potentially he could, yes. But if someone really had a serious intent to hurt a police officer, the chances are that they could do so without that officer ever having the opportunity to defend themselves. I just googled it and 21 police officers in the US were shot and killed in the first 17 weeks of 2018. As far as I can tell, zero UK police officers were shot and killed during that same period. When you read the explanations of how they were killed, a lot of those police officers were shot seemingly without having a chance to respond.

I'm not saying that police in the US or Canada shouldn't be armed - I think they should be, because you are allowing your citizens to be armed. That's the difference with the UK. People here aren't carrying guns on mass, so the police don't need to either. It's just a different culture.

On 9/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Ormond said:

I was seeing a northern Irish lassie years and years ago went for a walk along port rush beach , saw polis with guns, it is a shock when no expecting it. I flew into O'hare in 2003 and this boy looked 17 and was just putting folk into the immigration rows and he had this massive handcannon on his hip, was outrageous like something from a cartoon.