Why don't Police carry guns in Scotland? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why don't Police carry guns in Scotland?

So this has been a question for me for ages.iF I am correct. Why are Police in Scotland not required to carry a gun. I know the crime in Glasgow is one of the highest in Europe. I can't get my head around this. My younger brother is a Police Officer in Ottawa, he carries a firearm, thank fuck. I love my brother, we are very close, I like the fact that if some cnut attacks or God forbid shoots at him, he can protect himself. Police in the US carry a gun. I just don't get it. Last time I checked a fuckin heidbutt will no stop a bullet. Honest question. Anyone know why? 

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So this has been a question for me for ages.iF I am correct. Why are Police in Scotland not required to carry a gun. I know the crime in Glasgow is one of the highest in Europe. I can't get my head around this. My younger brother is a Police Officer in Ottawa, he carries a firearm, thank fuck. I love my brother, we are very close, I like the fact that if some cnut attacks or God forbid shoots at him, he can protect himself. Police in the US carry a gun. I just don't get it. Last time I checked a fuckin heidbutt will no stop a bullet. Honest question. Anyone know why? 

Do you ever get bored of talking shite? Glasgow’s crime rate has dropped dramatically over the last 18 years. A quick search online shows there’s higher crime rates in others cities in England and much more in Europe 

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Do you ever get bored of talking shite? Glasgow’s crime rate has dropped dramatically over the last 18 years. A quick search online shows there’s higher crime rates in others cities in England and much more in Europe 

Aye - the crime rate in Glasgow is about as high as it was in Edinburgh ten years ago:

Overall Crime Rate (2018)

Also a large amount of US cities have a higher crime rate than Glasgow, even considering I haven't been able to find the total amount of reported crimes for US cities (relying on 'major crime' stats).

Crimes per 10,000 people by cities:

• Liverpool, England - 1,502 (all reported crimes)
  • Greater Manchester, England - 1,451 (reported)
  • Indianapolis, USA - 1,234 (considers 'major crimes' only)
  • San Francisco, USA - 1,230 (major)
  • San Antonio, USA - 1,182 (major)
  • Houston, USA - 1,069 (major)
  • London, England - 973 (reported)
  • Chicago, USA - 859 (major)
  • Jacksonville, USA - 841 (major)
  • Philadelphia, USA - 825 (major)
  • Austin, USA - 783 (major)
  • Glasgow, Scotland - 714 (reported)
  • Los Angeles, USA - 639 (major)
  • Aberdeen, Scotland - 606 (reported)
  • Dundee, Scotland - 600 (reported)
  • Edinburgh, Scotland - 583 (reported)
  • Charleston, USA - 557 (major)
  • San Jose, USA - 550 (major)
  • San Diego, USA - 480 (major)
  • Scotland (ave) - 442 (reported)
  • Montreal, Canada - 410 (reported)
  • New York, USA - 408 (major)

'Major crimes' are Violent Crime, Murder, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Property Crime, Burglary, Larceny and Theft and Motor Vehicle Theft. Reported crimes include all crimes that are reported to the police.

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Is crime in Glasgow actually of a nature that requires police to carry guns? How many police officers have been injured in action/killed in Glasgow in the last 25 years?

You're so out of touch with reality it's unreal.

Hopefully your brother isn't as thick as you.

8 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - the crime rate in Glasgow is about as high as it was in Edinburgh ten years ago:

Overall Crime Rate (2018)

Also a large amount of US cities have a higher crime rate than Glasgow, even considering I haven't been able to find the total amount of reported crimes for US cities (relying on 'major crime' stats).

Crimes per 10,000 people by cities:

• Liverpool, England - 1,502 (all reported crimes)
  • Greater Manchester, England - 1,451 (reported)
  • Indianapolis, USA - 1,234 (considers 'major crimes' only)
  • San Francisco, USA - 1,230 (major)
  • San Antonio, USA - 1,182 (major)
  • Houston, USA - 1,069 (major)
  • London, England - 973 (reported)
  • Chicago, USA - 859 (major)
  • Jacksonville, USA - 841 (major)
  • Philadelphia, USA - 825 (major)
  • Austin, USA - 783 (major)
  • Glasgow, Scotland - 714 (reported)
  • Los Angeles, USA - 639 (major)
  • Aberdeen, Scotland - 606 (reported)
  • Dundee, Scotland - 600 (reported)
  • Edinburgh, Scotland - 583 (reported)
  • Charleston, USA - 557 (major)
  • San Jose, USA - 550 (major)
  • San Diego, USA - 480 (major)
  • Scotland (ave) - 442 (reported)
  • Montreal, Canada - 410 (reported)
  • New York, USA - 408 (major)

'Major crimes' are Violent Crime, Murder, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Property Crime, Burglary, Larceny and Theft and Motor Vehicle Theft. Reported crimes include all crimes that are reported to the police.

So event though the above figures include shop lifting etc, Glasgow is still less than all those places who are only reporting serious crime.

I can only conclude that Ramy has never stepped foot in Glasgow (or Scotland) in the past two decades.

Absolutely no need for police to carry firearms as a matter of course. Armed response yes for major incidents but no need whatsoever otherwise.

As others have said, thank fuck we're not like America or Canada. Guns solves fuck all. Only idiots think they do (majority of the population of these places sadly)

The irony of the US and guns is that the second amendment is (I believe) that Guns are to protect individuals against government tyranny. Their government was bought and sold years ago. Guns can’t protect you when you’re voting for corrupt politicians. The banking bailout being a perfect example. But then again it’s hard to criticise people when propaganda surrounds them.

i think it’s hard for people who aren’t brought up in the states to understand the second amendment and why so many carry guns. 

43 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The irony of the US and guns is that the second amendment is (I believe) that Guns are to protect individuals against government tyranny. Their government was bought and sold years ago. Guns can’t protect you when you’re voting for corrupt politicians. The banking bailout being a perfect example. But then again it’s hard to criticise people when propaganda surrounds them.

i think it’s hard for people who aren’t brought up in the states to understand the second amendment and why so many carry guns. 

On the contrary. Many outside USA do understand the second, its the loonies in America who do not.

17 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Give up the bevy, it will help you.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:39 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

😂😂😂 And you were doing so well with your ‘ honestly Im Scottish as fuck ‘ routine.

Im afraid the mask has slipped Raymond. You are as Canadian as maple syrup, ya big Hershey’s eating Elk. 👍

On 8/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Is crime in Glasgow actually of a nature that requires police to carry guns? How many police officers have been injured in action/killed in Glasgow in the last 25 years?

You're so out of touch with reality it's unreal.

Hopefully your brother isn't as thick as you.

Thank you for that ya fud. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No worries, just pointing out the utter nonsense in your original post.

Cheers again. I was just a simple question. I do not live in Scotland and can only go on what I read. My misrepresentation of the facts at hand were misguided and untrustworthy due to my unreliable source. 

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Cheers again. I was just a simple question. I do not live in Scotland and can only go on what I read. My misrepresentation of the facts at hand were misguided and untrustworthy due to my unreliable source. 

I think the answer is they don’t have to carry guns. At least that’s a part answer. Growing up in Scotland you just don’t see the need for anyone to carry guns. 

Seeing folk, and I’ve did it in the past, call Americans stupid for wanting to own guns is missing the point.

37 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think the answer is they don’t have to carry guns. At least that’s a part answer. Growing up in Scotland you just don’t see the need for anyone to carry guns. 

Seeing folk, and I’ve did it in the past, call Americans stupid for wanting to own guns is missing the point.

Brilliant. That is all I was asking. Thank you PIAK.. Makes sense now. I agree with gun laws btw.Unreal how easy it is to get one here.  

2 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Brilliant. That is all I was asking. Thank you PIAK.. Makes sense now. I agree with gun laws btw.Unreal how easy it is to get one here.  

That maybe answers your own question Ramy.

OK USA, not Canada, but I mind walking into a sports shop in a shopping mall there looking at shirts or something, and being taken aback at guns on the wall... between basket balls and vitamins or whatever.   Pump action shotguns and automatic pistols.   You know, sports equipment.   And that was Northern California, not Texas.

Folk at work there spoke of one guy (so not a common thing) who had a "collection".   They were not comfortable with him; like 'stay away from the dangerous weirdo'.   So I'm thinking folk are not that different there, but the laws allow nuts too much scope for expression.

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

That maybe answers your own question Ramy.

OK USA, not Canada, but I mind walking into a sports shop in a shopping mall there looking at shirts or something, and being taken aback at guns on the wall... between basket balls and vitamins or whatever.   Pump action shotguns and automatic pistols.   You know, sports equipment.   And that was Northern California, not Texas.

Folk at work there spoke of one guy (so not a common thing) who had a "collection".   They were not comfortable with him; like 'stay away from the dangerous weirdo'.   So I'm thinking folk are not that different there, but the laws allow nuts too much scope for expression.

Great post. It's scary here man. Not as bad as the US, but still scary. I could walk out tonight and buy a gun no problem. I don't have a firearm licence, but money talks. Who's fault is that? The fuckin government.