Tony Watt - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tony Watt

SWMM82

I’ve noticed there’s been some talk of a call up for Tony Watt.

Obviously we are limited in the striking department, and he clearly has always had  the talent and ability to score goals.

Would you have him in the squad?

Edited by SWMM82

Not for this squad as i think its too early for him, however if i was McLeish i would be engaging with him having conversations making him aware that if he can get a sustainable period of form, goals and confidence that he would be in my future plans - as i dont think we have a playing pool to pick from that we can discount anyone at his age  

He has only scored two league goals so far this season, with the rest all v lower opposition in the league cup?

Not really form that is going to grab Ecks attention, when you have McBurnie and Phillips having good starts to the season down in England, plus Griffiths most likely Ecks first choice striker at the moment, and if newspapers reports this morning are true, Johnny Russell making up the final striker in the squad.

1 minute ago, borojock said:

who are these players your referring to out of interest 

Phillips uptop & Griffiths.

Of course Griffiths should be in even though he’s not first choice, he’s hands down our best striker.

Watt must be close again though & a few more goals may see him come into the next squad. 

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He must be close given that we are now picking championship midfielders & strikers who are miles down the pecking order for their club as our striking options... 

Griffiths isn't miles down the pecking order at all. He's started the last 3 domestic games for Celtic.

Edited by Scotland Ever More

22 hours ago, wanderer said:

He has only scored two league goals so far this season, with the rest all v lower opposition in the league cup?

He's only played three league games - 2 in 3 is a pretty good start to the season!

This squad is too soon for him though, if he keeps playing well then the next set of games might see him get a chance.

3 hours ago, Windae cleaner said:

Shankland should be ahead of Watt

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Whilst I think Watt has to prove a heck of a lot more to be considered, saying Shankland should be ahead of him is crack smoking nonsense! 😂

Neither of these players should be within a million miles of a Scotland squad at the moment. 

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Neither of these players should be within a million miles of a Scotland squad at the moment. 

However if we had 2 or 3 injuries / suspensions / retirements etc to our current strikers then Watt would be in line for a call up as thats how few strikers we have at our disposal 

You could look at most position in our squad and if we took out the top 2 or 3 players it leaves us looking at some scary players  

7 minutes ago, borojock said:

However if we had 2 or 3 injuries / suspensions / retirements etc to our current strikers then Watt would be in line for a call up as thats how few strikers we have at our disposal 

You could look at most position in our squad and if we took out the top 2 or 3 players it leaves us looking at some scary players  

I’d sooner give Rhodes or Harper a call up than Watt if we were that desperate to be honest.

If Watt can prove for the first time in his career that he can have a consistent season and gets a move to a better club (no disrespect to St Johnstone intended but I’d rather our Scotland strikers were playing at a higher level) then I could see him getting a call up. Not at the moment though. 

Watt needs to bang the goals in for at least 6 months before he gets back in the Scotland Squad. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Remember it wasn't until Griffiths came back up the road to play for Hibs he started to get spoken about again. Watt is as talented as Griffith's was at that age so if he can show consistency and score goals he will get spoken about also

I've always thought Tony has all the attributes to be a really top class striker but he first has to show that he can break out of the all too familiar pattern of - new club, starts brilliantly, becomes fans' favourite, things start going wrong, career stalls, that we've seen over the past few years.  If he can do that then, yes, call him up.  Review in January, I think. 

11 hours ago, andyD said:

1 goal in the Prem, so... no.

It’s amazing how many idiots on here cannot get basic facts correct. 😂

Stick to reading the Daily Record and watching what Chelsea and Man City do. 

Edited by Ormond