James McArthur - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James McArthur

kumnio

The one part of the central midfield which i think were light in is a defensive midfielder who can sit protect the back 4 and offer the other central midfielders a bit more freedom to go forward

I wouldnt play McGinn there as i think he offers us an exciting option when he runs with the ball and he is so much better than a defensive midfielder - the only options i see are:

McTominay - who isnt and hasnt played enough and i have a question mark against as i think he is hyped up more then he is because he is at UTD

McDonald - is playing first team football and has done has the physical stature for the role and can play a decent ball forward

McArthur - isnt an out and out defensive midfielder more of a central midfielder - isnt available anyway

Shinnie - has done well for a while now and knows the role very well

Jack - not sold and i think his ability to lose his temper and get book often is a risk in International football

Edited by borojock

Personally i would be a bit slower in throwing him on the scrapheap as we dont know whats going on behind the scenes and how bad his back is etc. If he didn't want to play for Scotland he could quiet easily have called it a day however he says he still wants to play but may feel he cant positively contribute to the team or if he was to play the extra games during the international period it may significantly detriment his long term ability to play football at the highest level for the next 4 years

He's a decent player that i wouldnt want to be taken out of the playing pool 

If its a back problem, then can understand that recuperation is a priority (no point making him burst a gut, just to send him home in crippling pain), but would imagine he is taking pain killing injections for Palace and wants to only do that as a last resort, with hope a couple of weeks rest during the international breaks might give him time to recover.

Hopefully he will be back, but real danger he might lose his place if someone like Cairney, McGinn or McTominay, who have been there or thereabouts over the last year can cement their place in the starting line up.

17 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Is he saying he can play for palce but not Scotland? That’s what I take from it.

He wants to use the 3 international breaks to ‘manage’ his back injury. Whatever that means. 

It maybe suggests he’s not fully recovered and feels he could do with a week off without playing once a month until November to fully recover?

Seems odd but maybe the medical staff at Palace suggested it?

57 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He wants to use the 3 international breaks to ‘manage’ his back injury. Whatever that means. 

It maybe suggests he’s not fully recovered and feels he could do with a week off without playing once a month until November to fully recover?

Seems odd but maybe the medical staff at Palace suggested it?

he can't play three games for Scotland but he can play multiple games for palace

sounds like he is not full committed to Scotland, personally I want players who are willing to give everything to Scotland to get us to a finals. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

he can't play three games for Scotland but he can play multiple games for palace

sounds like he is not full committed to Scotland, personally I want players who are willing to give everything to Scotland to get us to a finals. 

It would be 6 games for Scotland potentially as there are 2 per break but I can’t say I disagree with you. 

If he has been given medical advice to skip the Scotland games though then it’s fair enough I think. 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

"The former Hamilton Academical player has spoken to McLeish and reiterated his commitment to the national team - something that the manager has accepted"

That doesn't even make sense.

Hopefully he never wears the shirt again.

I’m not sure how it doesn’t make sense. He’s saying he still wants to play for Scotland but just not for the rest of this year due to his back issues. 

McTominay asked not to be selected while he tried to establish himself in the Man U team and has come into the squad with no issues. It’s clearly not exactly the same but it’s still a player asking not to be selected.

Brown actually retired and then came back and all was forgiven.

Lots of players have spat the dummy (Boyd and Fletcher off the top of my head)and have been welcomed back.

I personally don’t think McArthur will be back as he’s past his best anyway and we have no shortage of good midfielders but to suggest he shouldn’t be considered again is harsh.

Edited by Texas Pete

17 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I doubt if his club doctor has given him any choice, to be fair. That said, Macarthur’s touch can let him down in the heat of the moment.