U17 comments from McGlaughlin. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17 comments from McGlaughlin.

er yir macaroon

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/brian-mclaughlin-hails-double-defeat-of-russia-for-scotland-s-under-17s/?rid=14258

Lovely stuff and what a peach of a goal. Great celebrations at the end, including Dembele jumping in.

Cheers for posting, good to see some Scottish kids enjoying playing.football. The article was interesting with the facilities sounding brilliant, bit at the end saying it was hard to finance this sort of development says a lot though.Perhaps we should all do some bag packing at Tesco for the national team.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Cheers for posting, good to see some Scottish kids enjoying playing.football. The article was interesting with the facilities sounding brilliant, bit at the end saying it was hard to finance this sort of development says a lot though.Perhaps we should all do some bag packing at Tesco for the national team.

The importance of qualifying is massive. The money from making a major tournament would make a huge difference to the funding of elite youth football in this country. 22 years of financial starvation has left us here.

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/brian-mclaughlin-hails-double-defeat-of-russia-for-scotland-s-under-17s/?rid=14258

Lovely stuff and what a peach of a goal. Great celebrations at the end, including Dembele jumping in.

From the interview with McLaughlin.....

""You made the point regularly about your last Under-17 group that they really seemed to buy into the idea of being Scotland players. Judging by the social media output of the current crop, they seem to be following in the same footsteps.

I think that’s important. As soon as the boys meet up the first thing they see is a massive Scotland badge on the screen. They should feel proud to be playing for Scotland. They need to realise who they represent and they do. When Kai Kennedy scored the second goal we saw the full squad – including two injured players – joining in the celebrations. It wasn’t just that it was a great strike. It was about celebrating a Scotland goal. Regardless of whether or not it came in a friendly, or whatever age-group it is, that should mean something.""

I think i like this guy :ok:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 4:18 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Justba question regarding Dembele. Has he chosen Scotland for good now? I know he has played for England youth and they were wanting him. From what I have read he is a cracking player and one to hold on too. Cheers. 

46 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Justba question regarding Dembele. Has he chosen Scotland for good now? I know he has played for England youth and they were wanting him. From what I have read he is a cracking player and one to hold on too. Cheers. 

It still appears to be up in the air. I hope being around Scottish lads at his club and where he lives will swing it in our favour. It’s early days but he might be one of those lads who gets capped at 17, maybe while he’s still at Celtic. 

38 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It still appears to be up in the air. I hope being around Scottish lads at his club and where he lives will swing it in our favour. It’s early days but he might be one of those lads who gets capped at 17, maybe while he’s still at Celtic. 

Thanks pal. I know the English were after him, and he seems to enjoy playing for Scotland from the article. Just would hate to lose a promising young talent to the English. Players at that age are easily swayed. I would just called him and get it over with. Agree with the Celtic comment. Lots of Scotland squad players are playing with Celtic so hopefully they will have a word in his ear. 

On 9/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Thanks pal. I know the English were after him, and he seems to enjoy playing for Scotland from the article. Just would hate to lose a promising young talent to the English. Players at that age are easily swayed. I would just called him and get it over with. Agree with the Celtic comment. Lots of Scotland squad players are playing with Celtic so hopefully they will have a word in his ear. 

He will only play for us if he is not good enough for England. He has no links to England apart from the first couple of months from being born there, so for most, there should be no desire to play for a country thats foreign to you.

5 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He will only play for us if he is not good enough for England. He has no links to England apart from the first couple of months from being born there, so for most, there should be no desire to play for a country thats foreign to you.

You see mate. That's what annoys me. If I'm not good enough for engerland then I will play for Scotland. My opinion? We don't want you. Don't need you. If that's his attitude, he can get to fuck.. Just my opinion . 

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

https://player.fm/series/scotland-national-team/brian-mclaughlin-the-official-scotland-podcast

Listening to the whole thing, it’s quite astonishing. McGlaughlin speaks very well and I hope he’s right. This is probably better than my favourite album. 

That's a really positive podcast to listen to. Thanks for posting!

On 9/5/2018 at 8:54 PM, er yir macaroon said:

https://player.fm/series/scotland-national-team/brian-mclaughlin-the-official-scotland-podcast

Listening to the whole thing, it’s quite astonishing. McGlaughlin speaks very well and I hope he’s right. This is probably better than my favourite album. 

It does sound promising but we have been here before. Hopefully it will be different this time.

The big thing I take from that podcast is that nobody seems to have much of a clue about what to do about the age old problem - why do so many of these very talented youngsters seen to stop progressing when they get to about 18-20?

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It does sound promising but we have been here before. Hopefully it will be different this time.

The big thing I take from that podcast is that nobody seems to have much of a clue about what to do about the age old problem - why do so many of these very talented youngsters seen to stop progressing when they get to about 18-20?

I thought he didn’t answer that well. If our youngsters are not as physically developed as the opposition and still beat everyone then it would suggest these lads have more ability than previous generations - who were mainly picked because they could run and jump at youth level. Btw he mentioned we were about to play Russia (population 144 million)  in a double header with the intention of beating them twice. It was on neutral ground and we beat them 1-0 and 2-0. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I thought he didn’t answer that well. If our youngsters are not as physically developed as the opposition and still beat everyone then it would suggest these lads have more ability than previous generations - who were mainly picked because they could run and jump at youth level. Btw he mentioned we were about to play Russia (population 144 million)  in a double header with the intention of beating them twice. It was on neutral ground and we beat them 1-0 and 2-0. 

I think (and I'm just guessing) that he does have an answer, or at least some ideas, but it's not politic of him to say. I can't think that a man that's clearly given great thought to development doesn't have those ideas. However he has no control over the club's so his influence is limited.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing. A brilliant interview.

I listed to this last night. Whilst I agree this all great encouraging stuff the thing I took from it was that just about every nation in Europe is getting their youth coaching in order so essentially we're not going to have some great advantage with superior players. It's basically going to be a lottery as to who has the most natural talent in their country.