cultural appropriation - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

cultural appropriation

The Oxford dictonary defines cultural appropriation as 'the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.'

What isn't cultural appropriation when you think about it?

I went in my first Tilted Kilt a couple of weeks ago. A “Scottish” themed place. Bugger all Scottish about them. They are a nationwide chain of Hooter type bars/restaurants. Basically big titted tarts swanning around in tartan mini skirts. Absolutely fucking appalling place. But then I expected that. 😂

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I went in my first Tilted Kilt a couple of weeks ago. A “Scottish” themed place. Bugger all Scottish about them. They are a nationwide chain of Hooter type bars/restaurants. Basically big titted tarts swanning around in tartan mini skirts. Absolutely fucking appalling place. But then I expected that. 😂

Doesn't sound that bad to me :whistling:

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Where is this place, I need to go give them a piece of my mind... shiftyeyes.gif

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Doesn't sound that bad to me :whistling:

I’m not a fan of these places to be honest. I’ve only been in one Hooters also and the cringe that ran through me when a wee 21 year old lassie kept putting her arm around me calling me sweetheart was not my cup of tea. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I’m not a fan of these places to be honest. I’ve only been in one Hooters also and the cringe that ran through me when a wee 21 year old lassie kept putting her arm around me calling me sweetheart was not my cup of tea. 

That was probably your first mistake there.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Think that's a fairly good description of 'cultural appropriation'. It's one of those things that you think, chill out, it's no biggie till it happens to something you care about. Thank fuck I'm ancient and don't have to bother about this sort of wank anymore.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

s-l300.jpg

18 hours ago, Ormond said:

😂, did you tell her to go and put some clothes on ?

I must say I am impressed by your chivalry Ormond . 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂, did you tell her to go and put some clothes on ?

I must say I am impressed by your chivalry Ormond . 

The whole episode was an embarrassment. I had to go to Kentucky to work nightshift wallpapering a restaurant. The team of us had a labourer, plumber, a sparkie and this young eejit surfer looking guy who was an apprentice. The lot of them wanted to go to the Hooters so naturally I went. The older guys with slavers hanging from their gubs at the half naked bairns(they were just auld enough to drink) was cringeworthy and that wee surfer laddie was just behaving like a young virgin would. Champing at the bit for a knee trembler.