Scotland u21 squad - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u21 squad

PASTA Mick

37 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's been a funny campaign for the u21s. A tough group, some good results and some awful ones.

One thing to remember is that (I think) Tierney, Souttar, McKenna, McTominay and McBurnie could have all played in this team but have already progressed to the first team. 

Oliver Burke wasn't included this time either and Harper could also have been included. 

They have fallen short, mainly because of the 2 draws against the weakest 2 teams, but it's not all doom and gloom.  

I would have started at least four if not  all five last night in my imaginary 4-4-1-1.Lets give 3-5-1-1 or was it 3-5-2-0  a few more chances, we might get a few more tremendous performances like the one against Albania. Stick to it long enough and the players will get used to it before they turn 30

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's been a funny campaign for the u21s. A tough group, some good results and some awful ones.

One thing to remember is that (I think) Tierney, Souttar, McKenna, McTominay and McBurnie could have all played in this team but have already progressed to the first team. 

Oliver Burke wasn't included this time either and Harper could also have been included. 

They have fallen short, mainly because of the 2 draws against the weakest 2 teams, but it's not all doom and gloom.  

I think that's the biggest thing. Perhaps we could've qualified if those players were available, but the fact that they've progressed beyond under-21 football already is more important than qualifying, IMO.

Worth also noting too that eight of this under-21 squad could still play for the under-19s - who only failed to qualify for the Euros following a collapse against Norway in the final qualifier, IIRC.

I didn't see tonight's game, but from what I've seen over the campaign I think these players are better technically than the previous generation of players we produced - which should put us in a good position moving forward.