Scotland u21 squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u21 squad

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

He turns 19 today and has already played for the first team. His chances are not slim. 

He's played once for the first team. Hopefully he makes it and no one will be happier than me but it is quite tough for young players to establish themselves at EPL clubs and alot of EPL young players end up playing lower league football. These are just the facts. I think we should at least wait until he gets a run of games at either Everton or a loan club before capping him. He's a good talent and if England come calling and that's what he wants then he should choose who he wants to play for not just Scotland because we capped him in a senior game just to tie him down to us.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's played once for the first team. Hopefully he makes it and no one will be happier than me but it is quite tough for young players to establish themselves at EPL clubs and alot of EPL young players end up playing lower league football. These are just the facts. I think we should at least wait until he gets a run of games at either Everton or a loan club before capping him. He's a good talent and if England come calling and that's what he wants then he should choose who he wants to play for not just Scotland because we capped him in a senior game just to tie him down to us.

I’d love it if he went out on loan to a championship club for instance, starting banging the goals in and started to win full caps but I think we have to be realistic.

As much as that’s a perfect situation for our national team and us as fans who’s to say that fits in with his plan. International football isn’t as much a draw now for some young players, particularly for players such as him who qualify through parentage or grandparentage.

Fraser Hornby will be a fantastic striker because he can execute the knee slide celebration to perfection. Only superstars can perfect this, amateurs get their knees stuck in the turf mid slide. The lad has incredible potential. Honestly this is the sign of a great player

4 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

I’d love it if he went out on loan to a championship club for instance, starting banging the goals in and started to win full caps but I think we have to be realistic.

As much as that’s a perfect situation for our national team and us as fans who’s to say that fits in with his plan. International football isn’t as much a draw now for some young players, particularly for players such as him who qualify through parentage or grandparentage.

Don’t presume to speak for him. He seems absolutely delighted scoring goals for Scotland. 

I think we should cap him.  Last two minutes of Israel game then he is ours.  If he doesn’t make it, no loss, but if he does we have a great player.  It forces his hand.   If he says no and wants to hold out for England we know where his allegiance is and never ask him again.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think we should cap him.  Last two minutes of Israel game then he is ours.  If he doesn’t make it, no loss, but if he does we have a great player.  It forces his hand.   If he says no and wants to hold out for England we know where his allegiance is and never ask him again.

I'd rather he played in the two important matches the u21s have coming up. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

He either wants to play for Scotland or he doesn’t.

We shouldn’t need to resort to giving him an unearned cap to trap him in case he turns out to be very good. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He either wants to play for Scotland or he doesn’t.

We shouldn’t need to resort to giving him an unearned cap to trap him in case he turns out to be very good. 

Exactly, look at McTominay, for all the concern about his allegiance he only ever wanted to play for us. I’d rather have someone who was committed.

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What the fuck is all this? He’s never even mentioned England.

I didn’t claim he had, I simply stated there was panic over McTominay and it worked out fine as he was only ever going to choose us.

By the same token if Hornby is committed to us there’s no need to rush him into a competitive cap to claim him while he’s clearly not ready.

Read an interesting article in the Metro this morning. Gareth Southgate is frustrated that young English players aren't getting games, so he has proposed an England U23 team be added to the Premier League and any eligible player that doesn't get more than X minutes from their club is automatically sent on loan to this team. Bizarre and extremely unlikely solution, but it shows that it's not just us that are getting frustrated about our young talent being stuck in reserve squads and warming benches. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Read an interesting article in the Metro this morning. Gareth Southgate is frustrated that young English players aren't getting games, so he has proposed an England U23 team be added to the Premier League and any eligible player that doesn't get more than X minutes from their club is automatically sent on loan to this team. Bizarre and extremely unlikely solution, but it shows that it's not just us that are getting frustrated about our young talent being stuck in reserve squads and warming benches. 

I've been saying for years that this should be the 'solution' for Colt teams. It could be one colt team for all Scotland players, split into U21, U19 etc. groups or done Geographically (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Tayside and Central, Highland etc.) or any number of other ways. It seems like a great way for them to develop together and a great way to promote our best youth players. They could play in cup competitions or even, dare I say it, in the league pyramid...

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae
Typo

26 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I've been saying for years that this should be the 'solution' for Colt teams. It could be one colt team for all Scotland players, split into U21, U19 etc. groups or done Geographically (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Tayside and Central, Highland etc.) or any number of other ways. It seems like a great way for them to develop together and a great way to promote our best youth players. They could play in cup competitions or even, dare I say it, in the league pyramid...

Colt teams should be nowhere near the SPFL.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Colt teams should be nowhere near the SPFL.

Agreed. However, if they are determined that they are going to do it because it is apparently so good for youth development, then it should be the national youth teams or some proxy for them that are entered into the competition, not just shit colt teams from the bigger Prem teams.

3 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Funny thing is they still manage to field teams with the majority of players from the top half of the EPL. As far as I know Butland is the only championship player he has selected and that didn't work out too well the other night.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, bazmidd said:

Fraser Hornby will be a fantastic striker because he can execute the knee slide celebration to perfection. Only superstars can perfect this, amateurs get their knees stuck in the turf mid slide. The lad has incredible potential. Honestly this is the sign of a great player

An advert on Yank tele during the World Cup. 

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Cant remember if there was under 21's back in the day of the under 23's internatuionals but it is an age where a lot of players development is probably hindered.

12 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

What the fuck is all this? He’s never even mentioned England.

For every mctominay, there is a Judas mcgeady and McCarthy.  I’d rather we get an early resolution on this.  My preferred system is nomination on professional forms.   Saves this constant dicking about.

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

For every mctominay, there is a Judas mcgeady and McCarthy.  I’d rather we get an early resolution on this.  My preferred system is nomination on professional forms.   Saves this constant dicking about.

Tbf mcgeady and McCarthy decided pretty early on they wanted to play for the ROI. Not that it makes it ok imo as both were born and bred here and should feel Scottish enough that they want to play for us. Mctominay could be labelled Judas by England after all he was born and bred there as well but chose us. Hornby has every right to make his decision and shouldn't be hassled into anything as the guy was born and bred in England and qualifies through the grandparent rule. Hopefully he picks us which I think he will given he is already with our youth set up but I suppose so was Sam Gallagher and he switched. Either way we shouldn't be looking to cap someone just so they don't run off to another country.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf mcgeady and McCarthy decided pretty early on they wanted to play for the ROI. Not that it makes it ok imo as both were born and bred here and should feel Scottish enough that they want to play for us. Mctominay could be labelled Judas by England after all he was born and bred there as well but chose us. Hornby has every right to make his decision and shouldn't be hassled into anything as the guy was born and bred in England and qualifies through the grandparent rule. Hopefully he picks us which I think he will given he is already with our youth set up but I suppose so was Sam Gallagher and he switched. Either way we shouldn't be looking to cap someone just so they don't run off to another country.

Genuine question as i may have missed it but has Hornby discussed or shown an interest in switching to England 

He seems pretty passionate on the pitch and in his celebrations  

5 minutes ago, borojock said:

Genuine question as i may have missed it but has Hornby discussed or shown an interest in switching to England 

He seems pretty passionate on the pitch and in his celebrations  

No he hasn't but I think alot of ppl are guessing if he was to continue progressing and started playing for everton first team England might be tempted to ask him to switch. He seems dedicated to Scotland so hopefully he would  stick with us but ppl on here are just discussing a hypothetical situation that may become reality.