Scotland u21 squad - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u21 squad

PASTA Mick

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Great stuff. Some Hornby Humble Pie for some, as i say, he’s a nailed on centre forward for the full team within the next 2 seasons. Robbie McRorie was very good in goal, and I don’t think we have too much to worry about there. 

Me as well but I hadnt really seen enough I guess.

5 in 2 good at any level.

Just now, SWMM82 said:

Call me fussy but would be nice to beat a team like the Netherlands, and do it by playing good football and it not being backs-to-wall!😝

The u17s have been doing that kind of thing. Given we were missing Morgan, Burke and Cochrane i think we did pretty well. It wasn’t totally one sided, but we certainly dug in and defended well.

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

What's the thoughts on Gemmill? He's doing a good job and so what's the potential of him as the eventual replacement for McLeish? 

I like him.

Although Latvia at home and Albania away were both awful performances the two against the Dutch were very positive.  I think he is still learning but could be a good manager for us in the future. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

17 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Great result for the under 21''s but even if we where too win our next 2 games, may not be enough for a playoff place. As only the best 4 second places team make the playoffs.

Droping 4 points to Andorra and Latvia may come back to haunt us.

You can’t expect to qualify if you don’t beat teams like Andorra home and away and Latvia at home. 

Same old story for a Scotland team. Struggle against the ‘lesser’ teams and do fairly well against the top teams. 

Hopefully they’ll end the campaign with another 2 wins and it’s enough for a playoff. 

6 hours ago, bookerman said:

Great result for the under 21''s but even if we where too win our next 2 games, may not be enough for a playoff place. As only the best 4 second places team make the playoffs.

Droping 4 points to Andorra and Latvia may come back to haunt us.

The results against the bottom side are taken off for the purpose of determining the 4 best runners up - a rule which just might benefit us.

8 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The results against the bottom side are taken off for the purpose of determining the 4 best runners up - a rule which just might benefit us.

it matter if we finished a point behind second as them extra 4 points would more of less guaranted us a playoff place. Assuming we win our last 2 games.

We droped 2 points either way for the playoff postions for dropping points to the bottom 2 teams.

I think based on his current form Hornby's done enough to earn a run-out for the senior side.  Okay, he's not anywhere near established in the Everton team but Wales and even England often cap talented youngsters who aren't first-team regulars at club level, and it hasn't done either of them much harm lately.

34 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think based on his current form Hornby's done enough to earn a run-out for the senior side.  Okay, he's not anywhere near established in the Everton team but Wales and even England often cap talented youngsters who aren't first-team regulars at club level, and it hasn't done either of them much harm lately.

Have to disagree, if he had played a good few first team games for everton, like say 15 or so then yes. But giving him a senior cap because he's scored for the u21s is not a good idea. The u21s is a long way off the senior level. The chances of Hornby making it at Everton are slim. Once he's making a few appearances for everton or playing regularly for a championship team then we should look to be capping him. He's barely played any professional football. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Have to disagree, if he had played a good few first team games for everton, like say 15 or so then yes. But giving him a senior cap because he's scored for the u21s is not a good idea. The u21s is a long way off the senior level. The chances of Hornby making it at Everton are slim. Once he's making a few appearances for everton or playing regularly for a championship team then we should look to be capping him. He's barely played any professional football. 

How do you know the chances are slim? Default negativity. 

39 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

How do you know the chances are slim? Default negativity. 

Just basic numbers really, how many of Everton's youth players make it to be first team regulars. I would guess it's few and far between. Guys got a decent chance but reality is the odds are against him. Hopefully he does make it at Everton or somewhere similar and we can then cap him based on that rather than cap someone who has played one pro game in his whole career.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just basic numbers really, how many of Everton's youth players make it to be first team regulars. I would guess it's few and far between. Guys got a decent chance but reality is the odds are against him. Hopefully he does make it at Everton or somewhere similar and we can then cap him based on that rather than cap someone who has played one pro game in his whole career.

He turns 19 today and has already played for the first team. His chances are not slim.