Scotland u21 squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u21 squad

PASTA Mick

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Tom McIntyre a new name to me. What position?

He is something like the last of the 8 or so Reading youth team players who joined the set up 4 or 5 years ago and been involved with us a few years now.

Center Back.

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

He is something like the last of the 8 or so Reading youth team players who joined the set up 4 or 5 years ago and been involved with us a few years now.

Center Back.

I remember that when we had a boat load of players from reading in the youths - sadly not one of them has gone on to do anything 

4 hours ago, borojock said:

I remember that when we had a boat load of players from reading in the youths - sadly not one of them has gone on to do anything 

Dominic Hyam is at Coventry City these days (apparently doing not to bad, as he has started every league match for them this season so far))... Zak Jules is at Shrewsbury but not in their first team plans...  and Harry Caldwell (who was seen as the best prospect of the lot) is at Grimsby these days.

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

When was the last time we had multiple players in a u21 squad with well over 100+ first team games each?

That said, Souttar should 100% be in the first team squad.

Just a shame some of the more talented ones in the squad are at bigger clubs and not getting as much minutes as they need at this stage of their development

22 hours ago, wanderer said:

Center Back.

I've actually seen him play.  Two years ago Maidenhead played Reading U23s in a preseason friendly and McIntyre played a half - Reading fielded a different team in each half.   There were a few players from the Scotland set up involved but he really stood out.  Especially when I found out he was only 17 at the time and was playing against a strong men's side.  Looked composed and good on the ball, a touch on the short side for a CB but I think he's grown a bit since then.   I marked him down as one to keep an eye on, I think he's been hampered a bit by injury but Reading gave him a new contract in January.  Glad to see he hasn't completely disappeared. 

24 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Johnston, Hornby, Burke and the two McCrories. Gimours only 17 and already playing U23s he's doing well. The others should be in first teams regularly at their age.

if they were good enough to be first team regulars, they would be.

With exception of Johnston (who seems to be getting a chance at Celtic), the others aren't exactly getting kept out the side by superstars. if they can't break through, then perhaps there's a reason.

Hornby only 18 though so I'd put him in same bracket as Gilmour although he needs out on loan.

Gilmour will be Scotland captain by time he's 20.

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bold prediction.  I think the lad is a smashing player, but I am concerned about how clear his route to the first team is at Chelsea.  Sarri does have a decent record with youth players from his recent jobs at Empoli and slightly less so at Napoli.

Its one thing to cap McTominay when he is on the fringes of the first team at Man United, but I would be shocked if Gilmour is capped when he is much lower down the pecking order at Chelsea (and given their record I would be shocked if he makes their first team plans), unless Chelsea change their whole attitude towards Youth development (while Sarri does have a good record for youth development elsewhere, expectations at Chelsea are a lot bigger, so might not have the luxury to give youth a regular chance).

At 17 just now Gilmour has time on his side, and while Darren Fletcher made his Scotland debut before his league debut for Man United, he came with a glowing reference from Sir Alex Ferguson that he was ready for the first team, so unless Gilmour really shines that he does get Chelsea's attention, or goes out on loan elsewhere (which will most likely happen) I would be shocked if he is capped before he makes the Chelsea first team squad.

52 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Bold prediction.  I think the lad is a smashing player, but I am concerned about how clear his route to the first team is at Chelsea.  Sarri does have a decent record with youth players from his recent jobs at Empoli and slightly less so at Napoli.

He'll get loaned out next season o a decent level I think.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

if they were good enough to be first team regulars, they would be.

With exception of Johnston (who seems to be getting a chance at Celtic), the others aren't exactly getting kept out the side by superstars. if they can't break through, then perhaps there's a reason.

Hornby only 18 though so I'd put him in same bracket as Gilmour although he needs out on loan.

They are being kept out by more experienced players who are playing well, not because they aren't talented players. If it's not happening at their clubs they need to go somewhere they will get a game. Football is not rocket science, to become better you have to play. They might not be good enough to play for their current clubs right now, but they never will be if they don't go and actually play the game and improve.

Bold statement about Gilmour but there is something about him and he seems to jump the levels with ease, wouldn't be surprised to see him capped for Scotland at 18 or 19

Edited by bazmidd

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He'll be loaned out next summer for experience to a Championship side.

That's my prediction.

Probably the following season most likely, Premier League teams treat their U23 squads as separate teams, so will need players for that, then start loaning them out when they are closer to 20-ish.

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's my prediction.

I think it will be down to his physical development. He’s still quite slight, although clearly working hard. His ability is not in question. I don’t think he’ll be risked in the Championship until he’s properly transitioned from boy to man. When that happens he may go straight into the EPL. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think it will be down to his physical development. He’s still quite slight, although clearly working hard. His ability is not in question. I don’t think he’ll be risked in the Championship until he’s properly transitioned from boy to man. When that happens he may go straight into the EPL. 

Just look at the photo from the Toulon of Gilmour and Hornby together, there is only a years difference between them, yet you would think it was more like 5 or 6 years difference.

If he is loaned out next year, I suspect it will be more to the likes of a Yeovil or Cheltenham, with a year in the Championship at the likes of a Hull or Bristol City when he has bulked up a little but closer to 20-ish.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's my prediction.

He's only just turned 17 so I think it might be another season before he gets loaned out.   That said, he does seem to being fast-tracked a bit both at Chelsea and by Scotland.

In common with most English clubs, Chelsea has two Academy sides.  The U18s which Gilmour was playing in last season and the U23s or development squad.

I wouldn't read too much into him being promoted to the U23s in itself, because of the way that Chelsea operate their youth system, pretty much all of the players in the development squad are 18 to 20 and its the next step before going out on loan.    It's generally at this point that they'll decide whether or not they have any sort of chance and you can usually determine that by the clubs they go to on loan.

The general pathway at Chelsea is start in the youth team then get promoted to the development squad.  Players who look promising at this level will generally get called up to the bench to play in the early rounds of the League or FA cup and they may go on the pre-season tour.   Those are the next things to look for with Gilmour as to his relative development in Chelsea.

Whether he can break in to the first team squad at Chelsea - which is very very difficult - if he's good enough and can stay fit, then he'll be prepared for a career at the top level elsewhere.

Personally, I think its more encouraging that he's jumping from the U18s to the U21s with Scotland and skipping the U19s.

He looks like he has a real chance, largely because on top of the talent and potential he seems like his head is screwed on, but there are lots of things that could go wrong for him many of which he might have no control over.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

He's only just turned 17 so I think it might be another season before he gets loaned out.   That said, he does seem to being fast-tracked a bit both at Chelsea and by Scotland.

In common with most English clubs, Chelsea has two Academy sides.  The U18s which Gilmour was playing in last season and the U23s or development squad.

I wouldn't read too much into him being promoted to the U23s in itself, because of the way that Chelsea operate their youth system, pretty much all of the players in the development squad are 18 to 20 and its the next step before going out on loan.    It's generally at this point that they'll decide whether or not they have any sort of chance and you can usually determine that by the clubs they go to on loan.

The general pathway at Chelsea is start in the youth team then get promoted to the development squad.  Players who look promising at this level will generally get called up to the bench to play in the early rounds of the League or FA cup and they may go on the pre-season tour.   Those are the next things to look for with Gilmour as to his relative development in Chelsea.

Whether he can break in to the first team squad at Chelsea - which is very very difficult - if he's good enough and can stay fit, then he'll be prepared for a career at the top level elsewhere.

Personally, I think its more encouraging that he's jumping from the U18s to the U21s with Scotland and skipping the U19s.

He looks like he has a real chance, largely because on top of the talent and potential he seems like his head is screwed on, but there are lots of things that could go wrong for him many of which he might have no control over.

I understand that but he's playing (and starting) for Chelsea 23s already.

He's already ahead of what somebody his age would normally be at Chelsea and I've no doubt when he fills out (which he already has started to) then he'll continue that trajectory.

I know it's a bold prediction but I think he'll have a full cap before he turns 19.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I understand that but he's playing (and starting) for Chelsea 23s already.

He's already ahead of what somebody his age would normally be at Chelsea and I've no doubt when he fills out (which he already has started to) then he'll continue that trajectory.

I know it's a bold prediction but I think he'll have a full cap before he turns 19.

Without a doubt, provided he puts on another few kilos. McStay played at 18 with some tough competition, and Gilmour looks to have a similar level of ability. I think Cochrane looks a fantastic player in the making so these are promising times.