Team for forthcoming matches - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

-----------------------------A. McGregor

---------- Hendry --------Mulgrew --------Tierney

Fraser ------------------- McArthur -------------- Robertson

------------ Armstrong --------- C. McGregor

---------------------Griffiths

------------------------------------Phillips

On 8/21/2018 at 12:37 PM, andyD said:

Griffiths - McBurnie/Rhodes
Robertson - McTominay - McGregor - Armstrong/Cairney - Fraser
Tierney - Mulgrew - Hendry
Gordon

Seems the best use of what we have right now.

So you want to play our best player, a left back as a wing back.Our best left sided midfielder as a right sided wing back.

We are struggling to find centre backs so you want play three,  one of which shouldn't even get a game for his club side according to all the supporters of that team I have spoken to, lets round it of by playing two out and out strikers.

Seems to be an awful lot of guess work in there.

Personally really hope to see Robertson at left back with Fraser left mid as that is about the only exciting prospect in our current crop of players, every thing else is just a mix of mediocrity unless McBurnie turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

McGregor 

Hendry.       mulgrew.      Tierney

Fraser.                                         Robertson

Cairney.       Mcginn

McGregor.             Armstrong

Griffiths

Rest of squad

Gordon, marshall, douglas, hanley, mcarthur, mctominay, paterson, forrest, Ritchie, Snodgrass, phillips, mcburnie, russell.

I do think though mcleish will load his team will tall players so wouldnt be surprised to see paterson, mcdonald or mctominay in there. What is pleasing though is you can still actually make a decent starting 11 just from the subs. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So you want to play our best player, a left back as a wing back.Our best left sided midfielder as a right sided wing back.

We are struggling to find centre backs so you want play three,  one of which shouldn't even get a game for his club side according to all the supporters of that team I have spoken to, lets round it of by playing two out and out strikers.

Seems to be an awful lot of guess work in there.

Personally really hope to see Robertson at left back with Fraser left mid as that is about the only exciting prospect in our current crop of players, every thing else is just a mix of mediocrity unless McBurnie turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Not disagreeing but where would you play Tierney? Would you leave him out? Also, why do you think Robertson can't play wing back. He bombs forward all the time getting crosses in so surely not too different for him to cope with?

6 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not disagreeing but where would you play Tierney? Would you leave him out? Also, why do you think Robertson can't play wing back. He bombs forward all the time getting crosses in so surely not too different for him to cope with?

Robertson is the nearest thing we have to a a world class player and I don't see why you would want to restrict the area of the pitch he has to play/pass into. He is a brilliant passer and reader of the game in front of him I have no doubt he could play as a wing back but his contribution as a left back would be far higher. Maybe I am wrong but to me left back and wing back are no were near the same thing.

I think Tierney could play in a back four at either centre half or right back ahead of what is available, but as Hanley and Mulgrew appear to be playing well that just leaves right back to be filled as there is no stand out there,

It's not a case of me saying Robertson cant play wing back more a case of if he plays left back the rest of the team is easier to  fit in and at the same time get the maximum out of our best player. In fact quite a few of our players,. This whole three at the back seems to be to fit Tierney in at the second best position he could play in but at the expense of playing Robertson and Fraser in their second best positions.

How many of the Scottish squad play with a club that sets up with wing backs? Can we please put this three at the back idea to bed.

Or maybe I just hate 3/5/2 and want to return to the 70's

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Robertson is the nearest thing we have to a a world class player and I don't see why you would want to restrict the area of the pitch he has to play/pass into. He is a brilliant passer and reader of the game in front of him I have no doubt he could play as a wing back but his contribution as a left back would be far higher. Maybe I am wrong but to me left back and wing back are no were near the same thing.

I think Tierney could play in a back four at either centre half or right back ahead of what is available, but as Hanley and Mulgrew appear to be playing well that just leaves right back to be filled as there is no stand out there,

It's not a case of me saying Robertson cant play wing back more a case of if he plays left back the rest of the team is easier to  fit in and at the same time get the maximum out of our best player. In fact quite a few of our players,. This whole three at the back seems to be to fit Tierney in at the second best position he could play in but at the expense of playing Robertson and Fraser in their second best positions.

How many of the Scottish squad play with a club that sets up with wing backs? Can we please put this three at the back idea to bed.

You are probably right with that tbf and I have been guilty of wanting to shoe horn Tierney into a system which might suit him and Robertson as well. I think there are arguments for both systems it is a tough one and Eck has been a bit unlucky that he hasn't had both of them in the same squad for the last few games to try different systems. Let's just hope he pulls something that works out the bag

25 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

You are probably right with that tbf and I have been guilty of wanting to shoe horn Tierney into a system which might suit him and Robertson as well. I think there are arguments for both systems it is a tough one and Eck has been a bit unlucky that he hasn't had both of them in the same squad for the last few games to try different systems. Let's just hope he pulls something that works out the bag

We won’t know until it’s tried and it’s unfortunate it still hasn’t been.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Very good post something ive been thinking but havent been able to articulate 

The only part i'd would have thoughts on would be the Tierney playing at right back, i think he can do the defending part, the travelling with the ball forward but im not sold he can produce the end product on his right foot it doesnt seem strong. I recall when he has played right back he continually cutting back in or passing the ball backwards 

Not saying i know what the answer or best thing is but just a concern i would have of Tierney at right back - i would possibly be looking to see if Douglas or Bryan had a decent right foot

18 minutes ago, borojock said:

Very good post something ive been thinking but havent been able to articulate 

The only part i'd would have thoughts on would be the Tierney playing at right back, i think he can do the defending part, the travelling with the ball forward but im not sold he can produce the end product on his right foot it doesnt seem strong. I recall when he has played right back he continually cutting back in or passing the ball backwards 

Not saying i know what the answer or best thing is but just a concern i would have of Tierney at right back - i would possibly be looking to see if Douglas or Bryan had a decent right foot

Unfortunately with Robertson and Tierney, we either leave one out or play one out of position.

Right-back is probably our weakest position. The question for the manager is whether Tierney is a better option than O'Donnell, Jack, Paterson or anyone else we could bring in. Personally I think he is. 

If Tierney doesn't play RB, how else do you fit him in? Or is he left out? 

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Jack Hendry anywhere near the backline? Fuck that, his confidence is shot and he's costing a goal a game just now at club level.

Agree. Simply not one of our better options, even without Berra and McKenna. 

Mulgrew is probably going to play. I'd have no problem with Hanley beside him. Hanley gets a lot of stick but I'm not sure he's that bad and he's get a good amount of experience for his age. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

49 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agree. Simply not one of our better options, even without Berra and McKenna. 

Mulgrew is probably going to play. I'd have no problem with Hanley beside him. Hanley gets a lot of stick but I'm not sure he's that bad and he's get a good amount of experience for his age. 

Yup, I'd have Hanley and Mulgrew.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Some interesting points. Personally I still think Tierney is as good as Robertson or even better. Sadly we won't be completely sure until he's regularly playing against top opposition. Anyway for me that means they both have to play. Right back is an absolute no. It's heart breaking to see somebody of his quality run down the wing then stop to play it inside as his crossing isn't so good.

I feel the back three gives options for Tierney to play the closest to his best position. Am very comfortable with him playing alongside McKenna and Mulgrew. McKenna's missing for this game but if that's the formation we intend to go with regularly we should for this game. Would personally prefer Souttar.

As for wing back, you're right it is a different position but I cannot see any reason whatsoever why Robertson wouldn't excel.

Now the right wing-back/full back position is a problem whichever system you use.

Tierney at right back for me.

If he is half the player that some folk are tell us he is, he should out practicing firing in crosses with his right foot. Half an hour practice a day for a fortnight and he will be ten times better at crossing a ball than Forrest is with any foot. Forrest is so bad at crossing that it's sometimes hard to tell if he is left or right footed. 

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Jack Hendry anywhere near the backline? Fuck that, his confidence is shot and he's costing a goal a game just now at club level.

You’d still have him in the squad though surely.

I can’t believe Souttar isn’t in more people’s thinking - hard to believe he may not even get in the squad. 

Really don't know why Hendry is being hung out to dry especially by Scotland fans when he played really well against Hungary away from home, in fact he was far far better than Hanley who played in the Costa Rican game. He's been thrown in the deep end at Celtic with no help whatsoever and been made a bit of a scapegoat when he hasn't allayed nearly as bad as some people make out. He's made a few mistakes but that's to be expected since he'd never played European level before. He's learning and having to learn fast, he's doing alright to be honest and clearly has talent. Desperately needs an older more experienced guy beside him to guide him and learn from

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

You’d still have him in the squad though surely.

I can’t believe Souttar isn’t in more people’s thinking - hard to believe he may not even get in the squad. 

4 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Personally I still think Tierney is as good as Robertson or even better. Sadly we won't be complete. Right back is an absolute no. It's heart breaking to see somebody of his quality run down the wing then stop to play it inside as his crossing isn't so good.

I think Robertson is now proven as a more than good enough left back to play for any one let alone Scotland,but I still think Tierney is a better all round football player and therefore more adaptable. I can see how frustrating it would feel to watch Tierney, perhaps struggling on the right but painful as it might be the only other option appears to be O'Donnell.If O'Donnell is the better one then perhaps we have reached the point were we have to leave out our second best player, I'll leave that one to Squirrel 

3 hours ago, bazmidd said:

There is also another glaringly obvious reason a back Four isn't great for us.... We actually don't have one single decent international level right back!

Massive problem the question is how do you answer it. Do you play a back four with one player out out of position or a back three which taking it to an extreme means as far as I can see playing 11 players out of position. It even limits or changes the goalkeepers options. I don't know if any of our probable players played in any thing other than a 4 at the back system recently. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Plenty were but he is in the under 21's now