Team for forthcoming matches - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

McGregor/Gordon

Souttar Mulgrew Tierney

O'Donnell McGregor McGinn Robertson

Forrest                     Armstrong

Griffiths      

No room for Fraser there - and he is looking like a must start. Instead of Armstrong perhaps? Very difficult to square this circle.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

No room for Fraser there - and he is looking like a must start. Instead of Armstrong perhaps? Very difficult to square this circle.

I agree with you.

I think O'Donnell's a shoe-in at right back unless he goes with Forrest as a wing-back given that it's a home game, which he may well do.

Tierney at right back is a non-starter for me. You make an excellent left sided player into an ordinary right sided player by doing so, and at the same time dent the confidence of the right sided players whose natural position it is.

Griffiths is a shoe-in if fit, so it's down to who is his supporting cast. Armstrong and Fraser could well get the nod in that case.

51 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I am sticking with Gordon, he reflex saves are still sharp in my view.  

Better than McGregor’s reflex saves?

Debatable obviously but Gordon makes me nervous at the moment. His throw out to McGinn was silly and I felt he could maybe have done better for Hazard’s goal.

OK, it was a fantastic strike but it was straight at the keeper. If his reflexes were that good, should he not have saved that?

On 9/8/2018 at 5:17 AM, bazmidd said:

McGregor

Tierney.    Souttar.    Mulgrew  Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong.          McGinn

Fraser.                                         McGregor

Griffiths

That would be my team too. It's crazy to me that some can't find a place for Tierney. He never puts a foot wrong wherever he plays.

We also absolutely need a holding midfielder. Would be happy with Shinnie, and don't know much about McTominay apart from that he's on the fringes of the Man U team. As Southgate seems obsessed with playing youth though, I'd be cynical and get him tied ASAP.

Albania's only defeats in the last 12 games have been against Italy, Spain and France... So they'll be expecting to get something from this. I hope we're ready for that.. To me, this team (and formation) gives us the best chance.

I thought McDonald was totally anonymous on Friday night, can't believe as many folk have him in their starting 11.

McGinn made a mistake yes but at least he was wanting the ball to make a mistake.

McGregor has to start in goals. Gordon was weak for more than just the first goal on Friday.

As for right back, I've said my piece on that enough times. Fraser is wasted there, SOD plays there every week and is in great form and I'd rather we utilised Robertson/Tierney combination on left hand side.

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I thought McDonald was totally anonymous on Friday night, can't believe as many folk have him in their starting 11.

McGinn made a mistake yes but at least he was wanting the ball to make a mistake.

McGregor has to start in goals. Gordon was weak for more than just the first goal on Friday.

As for right back, I've said my piece on that enough times. Fraser is wasted there, SOD plays there every week and is in great form and I'd rather we utilised Robertson/Tierney combination on left hand side.

Exactly this. 

5 hours ago, COLT NY said:

That would be my team too. It's crazy to me that some can't find a place for Tierney. He never puts a foot wrong wherever he plays.

We also absolutely need a holding midfielder. Would be happy with Shinnie, and don't know much about McTominay apart from that he's on the fringes of the Man U team. As Southgate seems obsessed with playing youth though, I'd be cynical and get him tied ASAP.

Albania's only defeats in the last 12 games have been against Italy, Spain and France... So they'll be expecting to get something from this. I hope we're ready for that.. To me, this team (and formation) gives us the best chance.

So why are they so low in the rankings?

Granted we were playing (arguably) the best side at this summers World Cup on Friday night, and first half I felt we were playing not all that badly, given the call off's we have had, honest can not see major changes for tonight.

Suspect defense will stay as it is, and Griffiths will start again up front, but changes will be McGregor starting in goals, and probably find McTominay, Forrest and Patterson make their way back into the team.

On 9/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, Rab The Crab said:

I’d put Tierney alongside Souttar in a back 4, Mulgrew has been the weak link in the defence since McLeish took over.

I’d also be inclined towards the 4-2-3-1 that Strachan used as it would allow Fraser to play in an advanced position.

That is the formation of go with, trying to fit players in the wrong position just for one player is nuts. I'd maybe try Tierney in holding mid at some point.

20 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

We have a guy playing RB week in week out in Stephen ODonnell. 

That should be our option instead of trying to put players in unfamiliar positions. 

If we have to accommodate Tierney (he is a cracking player) then play him left midfield. 

Gives us the option of him or Robertson going forward. Tierney can cover for Robertson if he goes upfield. 

Agreed O'Donnel needs to play as it's his natural position and we don't have anyone else playing there. 

15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Better than McGregor’s reflex saves?

Debatable obviously but Gordon makes me nervous at the moment. His throw out to McGinn was silly and I felt he could maybe have done better for Hazard’s goal.

OK, it was a fantastic strike but it was straight at the keeper. If his reflexes were that good, should he not have saved that?

Agree with you, with the exception of the McGinn issue. Would start McGregor.

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't want to worry anybody ;) but Albania's away record in qualifiers is pretty good. It's probably better than their home record.

I'll be happy with any victory but I would prefer a wee 2 goal cushion in case the head to head or GD comes into it later on. 

That's all right - I was worried already.

McGregor

O'Donnell    Mulgrew   Soutter    Tierney

McTominay  McGinn

Fraser     McGregor   Robertson      

Griffiths

I'd like to see this, I think we could really get the best out of Tierney and Robertson this way. Robertson does most of his best work further up the pitch and I think that they could interchange and cover each other.

This would also allow Fraser to play further up the park where he's been most effective for his club side, I think he's played more on the left for Bournemouth but I think he should be able to adapt. 

Went for McTominay to add a bit of height to the team as without him we'd be lacking in that department.

Seems from McLeish's comments though that we'll be going 3 at the back again.

2 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Agree with you, with the exception of the McGinn issue. Would start McGregor.

You don’t agree that Gordon shouldn’t have thrown the ball out to McGinn who had his back to a good few dangerous Belgians?

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’re not a goalkeeping coach?

I’m all for playing the ball out from the back but you don’t endanger your defence like that. It was needless and led to a goal. Ok so McGinn should have done better as well but he should never have been put in that position in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You don’t agree that Gordon shouldn’t have thrown the ball out to McGinn who had his back to a good few dangerous Belgians?

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’re not a goalkeeping coach?

I’m all for playing the ball out from the back but you don’t endanger your defence like that. It was needless and led to a goal. Ok so McGinn should have done better as well but he should never have been put in that position in the first place. 

Correct on both counts.

Dembele was a good 5 yards or so away from McGinn, McGinn asked for the ball, and McGinn had his body in between the ball and Dembele. He was put in that position by nobody but himself. McGinn had either the option to play it back to Gordon or to shield the ball. Instead he opened himself up and made it extremely easy for Dembele to take the ball. Players can't progress if we are unwilling to let them take account for their actions and mistakes.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

10 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Have you been looking at the Albanian women’s results or something?

The lost their last 3 games before the Israel game (these were friendlies right evough). 

If you are talking about their last 12 competitive games they have also lost 0-3 to Israel at home and drew with Macedonia. 

Five of their last 12 competitive games were against Italy, Spain or France. This means they won 5 out of 12. Two were against Liechtenstein, one was against Macedonia, one against Romania, one against Israel.

The only result that concerns me is they beat Romania, who are of a similar standard to Scotland, away. This win was over two years ago though and they have lost a shit load of friendlies since then. Including games against Luxembourg and Kosovo.

13 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Correct on both counts.

Dembele was a good 5 yards or so away from McGinn, McGinn asked for the ball, and McGinn had his body in between the ball and Dembele. He was put in that position by nobody but himself. McGinn had either the option to play it back to Gordon or to shield the ball. Instead he opened himself up and made it extremely easy for Dembele to take the ball. Players can't progress if we are unwilling to let them take account for their actions and mistakes.

McGinn did ask for the ball but he should have been ignored by Gordon or told to bugger off as he wasn’t in a great position. 

Dembele was a few yards away but was moving towards McGinn and can go like shit off a hot shovel. 

Thorgan Hazard was also about 2-3 yards to McGinn’s left and he would have been a danger if McGinn didn’t control the ball perfectly. 

A goalkeeper is responsible for assessing the danger before playing a ball to someone. He is under no obligation to give a player the ball just because he asks for it. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

McGinn did ask for the ball but he should have been ignored by Gordon or told to bugger off as he wasn’t in a great position. 

Dembele was a few yards away but was moving towards McGinn and can go like shit off a hot shovel. 

Thorgan Hazard was also about 2-3 yards to McGinn’s left and he would have been a danger if McGinn didn’t control the ball perfectly. 

A goalkeeper is responsible for assessing the danger before playing a ball to someone. He is under no obligation to give a player the ball just because he asks for it. 

Can't disagree with your middle two points. It's still McGinns fault first and foremost. He should be doing a lot better.

Anyway, it'll not be an issue once McGregor is in goals as most of his distribution will just be getting shanked up to opposition defenders. Safer option, but we'll not be a better team for it.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Have you been looking at the Albanian women’s results or something?

The lost their last 3 games before the Israel game (these were friendlies right evough). 

If you are talking about their last 12 competitive games they have also lost 0-3 to Israel at home and drew with Macedonia. 

Five of their last 12 competitive games were against Italy, Spain or France. This means they won 5 out of 12. Two were against Liechtenstein, one was against Macedonia, one against Romania, one against Israel.

The only result that concerns me is they beat Romania, who are of a similar standard to Scotland, away. This win was over two years ago though and they have lost a shit load of friendlies since then. Including games against Luxembourg and Kosovo.

Their results look all over the place, even within one qualifying campaign. Within one campaign they lost 3-0 at home to Israel and won 3-0 away to them.

If we want to compare records in competitive games though, surely Albania would be wary of our record especially at home. In the past 5 years we have only lost 2 qualifiers at home, one to Germany and one to Belgium. In that time we've beaten the likes of Croatia, Ireland, Slovenia and Slovakia and we're not far away from beating Poland and England also.

I would imagine that if Albania were pulling out some of the results we have been over the past few years then we'd have a bit more to worry about.

Still think that they'll be tough to beat, but I think we can do it.