Team for forthcoming matches - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

19 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The appointment of McLeish is uninspiring at best. Give him the benefit of doubt but think that’s one of the main reasons why I’m feeling pretty flat about our future short term prospects.

The future short terms prospects are that if we come top of a mini league

We're two games from qualification

A really tough choice moving ahead to Monday. At the moment, I'd be looking at: McGregor; SOD, Souttar, KT, Robertson; Armstrong, McGinn/McTominay; Forrest, McGregor, Fraser; Griffiths.

Long run, KT would go to right back with McKenna in the centre. Strachan had the Tierney and Robertson conundrum pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I still think this should be the team -

Gordon

Tierney...Souttar...Mulgrew...Robertson

Armstrong...McGinn...McGregor

Forrest............Griffiths..............Fraser 

That might actually be our strongest team against Albania. Against Belgium or other bigger nations we would need a proper defensive mid anchoring the midfield but against Albania the onus is really on us to attack.

I still think this should be the team -

Gordon

Tierney...Souttar...Mulgrew...Robertson

Armstrong...McGinn...McGregor

Forrest............Griffiths..............Fraser 

I like the look of this team, but would have McGregor in in front of Gordon at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

4-2-3-1 for Albania 

McGregor

O’Donnell (RB)

Souttar (RCB)

Mulgrew (LCB)

Robertson (LB)

McGinn (DM)

Tierney (DM)

Forrest (RAM)

Armstrong (CAM)

McGregor (LAM)

Griffiths (CF)

drop Forrest for Fraser and I would have that every day of the week unless Mctominey started playing week in week out for Man Utd and was on form

Why would you drop Fraser? he was one of our few attackin threats llast night against a superior team. He regularly torments defences in the EPL too. Forrest although phenomenal for Celtic just doesn't do it for Scotland

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

drop Forrest for Fraser and I would have that every day of the week unless Mctominey started playing week in week out for Man Utd and was on form

Why would you drop Fraser? he was one of our few attackin threats llast night against a superior team. He regularly torments defences in the EPL too. Forrest although phenomenal for Celtic just doesn't do it for Scotland

I have no problem with Fraser and it would be good to see him played further forward. I didn’t think he was good last night but not his fault. Forrest is familiar with most of the other players and it’s a must win game. 

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

4-2-3-1 for Albania 

McGregor

O’Donnell (RB)

Souttar (RCB)

Mulgrew (LCB)

Robertson (LB)

McGinn (DM)

Tierney (DM)

Forrest (RAM)

Armstrong (CAM)

McGregor (LAM)

Griffiths (CF)

Swap Forrest for Fraser and I agree. Fraser had near impossible task last night and still did ok. I would like to see him in proper attacking role on Monday.

McGregor has to start the next game Gordon just isn't filling people with confidence. How we line up from there and what formation  I we use is so hard to call. We really need the energy and drive of McGinn and Armstrong. We also need the energy and creativity of McGregor and Fraser in advanced positions eg not wing back for Fraser. But then we really still need a holding Midfielder to sit in whilst these boys use they're energy and drive going forward. McDonald was decent but too slow in moving the ball and Ryan Jack is just simply not good enough so I'd give McTominay a go. On top of this we really need to get the best out of Tierney and Robertson. Robertson really has to play left back because enquire simply he is one of the best in Europe in that position. Tierney is the conundrum as he is also such a talented full back. And that I guess is the point, he is a full back. Not a centre half or a defensive midfielder an attacking full back, who loves to drive into space beyond the midfield. I guess the obvious thing is to put Tierney back to right back again but Eck said he will not do this. I can see why he is using Tierney in a back 3 but we are taking away so much of his attacking qualities. And the same goes for Fraser at right wing back. Both players can do a job in those positions because they are good footballers, probably two of our best, but we are not getting the best out of them in those positions. I wanted to try the 3 at the back but now it has to be something along the lines of this for me..

McGregor

Tierney.    Souttar.    Mulgrew  Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong.          McGinn

Fraser.                                         McGregor

Griffiths

22 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

McLeish has taken on some tough first friendlies and we've looked solid enough but unable to score.  He had a severly limited squad to pick from.

I'm not as doom and gloom as most.  

The domestic game is on the rise as well.  There's lots to be positive about in scottish football.

That said, couldn't give a monkeys about the Belgium game..or even the Albania one.  The Nation's league still doesn't seem important either...even though it is!

i think folk just have more to be getting on in life than be bothering about friendlies.  It's been that way for a long time.

Aye, friendlies are shite but what I don’t understand are the folk that are all of a sudden disillusioned with the national team in general. We’ve been shite for years. 

We haven’t qualified for a tournament for 20 years and we only just scraped into that one automatically as best runners up. The playoffs would have been tough. 

We haven’t even reached a playoff for 13 years or something. 

As for the Nations League not being considered important, people will soon change their minds about that if we win our group and don’t qualify for Euro 2020 outright. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye, friendlies are shite but what I don’t understand are the folk that are all of a sudden disillusioned with the national team in general. We’ve been shite for years. 

We haven’t qualified for a tournament for 20 years and we only just scraped into that one automatically as best runners up. The playoffs would have been tough. 

We haven’t even reached a playoff for 13 years or something. 

As for the Nations League not being considered important, people will soon change their minds about that if we win our group and don’t qualify for Euro 2020 outright. 

We've been shite for years, but always had that hope of doing it. This is now the time that people have had enough of all these false dawns. We also seem to be going away from the team spirit of Faddy, Miller, etc. The team just seems like a collection of individuals at the moment and we haven't got someone who can do a bit of magic, or take the game by the scruff of the neck

1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

We've been shite for years, but always had that hope of doing it. This is now the time that people have had enough of all these false dawns. We also seem to be going away from the team spirit of Faddy, Miller, etc. The team just seems like a collection of individuals at the moment and we haven't got someone who can do a bit of magic, or take the game by the scruff of the neck

This is our best chance of making a major tournament for years though, albeit down to a qualifying format change. Do these people not realise that or something?

Someone from League C will qualify. Why not us? 

Last night’s result was bad but it was a friendly and I thought we actually played pretty well in the first half. 

If we can beat Albania on Monday, I’m confident we can go on and win our group and go into the qualifiers next year knowing a playoff is already in the bag. 

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

McGregor

Tierney.    Souttar.    Mulgrew  Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong.          McGinn

Fraser.                                         McGregor

Griffiths

I would certainly agree with that back five and McTominay in front of them.  Bit of a test of character on Monday, defeat was maybe not surprising but manner of it was disappointing. 

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Mcgregor

bardsley   Souttar       Mulgrew     Robertson

Armstrong  McGinn  McGregor 

fraser                    Griffiths              Snodgrass

You’ve got a right ragin stauner for Bardsley. The guy is 33, well past his best and wasn’t “really interested to be honest” when Strachan didn’t call him up a couple of years ago.

Who would you play at right back who is actually in the squad?

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

This is our best chance of making a major tournament for years though, albeit down to a qualifying format change. Do these people not realise that or something?

Someone from League C will qualify. Why not us? 

Last night’s result was bad but it was a friendly and I thought we actually played pretty well in the first half. 

If we can beat Albania on Monday, I’m confident we can go on and win our group and go into the qualifiers next year knowing a playoff is already in the bag. 

There are several team in League C that are better than us. 

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Which teams do you mean?

According to the UEFA coefficients  (at the time the draw was made) two of the teams in League C are better than us.

The coefficients aren’t great to be fair but they are more accurate than the world rankings, which are a load of shite but I wouldn’t be scared to face any of them in a playoff, especially at Hampden. 

Hungary are poor, we beat them recently. 

Slovenia aren’t better than us, we took 4 points off them in the last campaign. 

Greece are a shadow of their former selves. 

Serbia and Finland would give us a good game but I’d still fancy beating them at Hampden. 

If we get to the playoffs and are not at home we could lose to any of them apart from maybe Cyprus but they won’t get to the playoffs. 

Edited by Texas Pete

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

You’ve got a right ragin stauner for Bardsley. The guy is 33, well past his best and wasn’t “really interested to be honest” when Strachan didn’t call him up a couple of years ago.

Who would you play at right back who is actually in the squad?

Danny Mcgrain.

eh... probably Tierney to be honest... or 5hen it’s o’donnel.

29 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Danny Mcgrain.

eh... probably Tierney to be honest... or 5hen it’s o’donnel.

Tierney could play there but I think we should give O’Donnell a start. 

We’ve been crying out for a natural right back since Hutton retired and O’Donnell is pretty good by all accounts. 

We just need to be better than Albania and Israel to get a play off place.

And the teams you think are better than us might qualify outright through normal qualifying. Or we might beat them in a one off tie.

Some are being really negative after losing to genuinely one of the best teams in the world and a couple of friendies away from home, with second string, at the end of the season. 

Yes we haven't played well in these games and yes McLeish might not be the best man for the job but we're not as bad as some say. Monday will probably be a tight game but the most likely result is us coming away with the win.