Team for forthcoming matches - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

On 9/3/2018 at 9:08 PM, Bino's said:

i remember barry ferguson used to pull out, ryan giggs style, cause he thought he was too important to bother with this game or that game

now every fucker does it

and for really shite reasons like i play in front of 15,000 down at selhurst park and the liberty stadium 

gees us a break

what if naisy, who i doubt with his age and physical style is ever 100% fit, rejected the call or pulls out

what if everyone who thinks theyre too important does it and we cant field a team

McBurnie went on Twitter to say how gutted he was to pull out, think his is genuine

58 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we get humped there is also the danger of the players being tense and unable to express themselves against Albania. Was this arranged during Regan’s tenure? 

A certainty i would say.. Empty hampden to add to it all. Real stupid decision to have this game. 

Apparently the old hungary team used to play team who they could beat like 5 o 6 nil. I dont understand why not play a san marino or that to get us scoring some goals at least

27 minutes ago, jamboman said:

A certainty i would say.. Empty hampden to add to it all. Real stupid decision to have this game. 

Apparently the old hungary team used to play team who they could beat like 5 o 6 nil. I dont understand why not play a san marino or that to get us scoring some goals at least

I looked up our record against them just out of curiosity.

They scored 3 or 4 goals against us (though we got some back) in every game up to 1980 except one...   Our 1958 world cup warm up game with them was 1 each, when as we know they were reckoned to be the best in the world.

Crowd btw 54,900.   The old place must have looked half empty :lol:

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I looked up our record against them just out of curiosity.

They scored 3 or 4 goals against us (though we got some back) in every game up to 1980 except one...   Our 1958 world cup warm up game with them was 1 each, when as we know they were reckoned to be the best in the world.

Crowd btw 54,900.   The old place must have looked half empty :lol:

Or half full?

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

It's a really weird choice of opponent. Belgium will almost certainly run rings around us - because they have far better players than we do - so what could we learn from the game that we don't already know?  We're about to go into a mini group with two teams of a similar standard as us, so the way (I imagine) Eck will line the team up tomorrow will be quite different from the way he lines the team up on Monday - which is the important game.

Also, in spite of having an excellent team, I don't think Belgium even have much of an away support, so it's not like the SFA will make a load of money from the game. 

To me, I'd rather play a side of the level of, say, the Czech Republic or Greece - good sides who'd provide a test but who we should be able to compete with. 

completely agree with this. Its hard to be enthusiastic about Scotland right now, there doesn't seem to be anything truly positive on the horizon and the choice of opponent is hardly wise because we are unlikely to get anything from it. I know the team has to be tested but lets get the confidence first before we do that. Its also a friendly which hardly brings out the best in us 

do we know how ticket sales have went?

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

completely agree with this. Its hard to be enthusiastic about Scotland right now, there doesn't seem to be anything truly positive on the horizon and the choice of opponent is hardly wise because we are unlikely to get anything from it. I know the team has to be tested but lets get the confidence first before we do that. Its also a friendly which hardly brings out the best in us 

do we know how ticket sales have went?

If you want something positive see the u17 thread and the full podcast. It’s a whole new ball game. 

My team would be the following:

.............................................................Shagger................................................................................................................................................................

No       Sure...................Soapy..................................................Chico...................................................KT................................................................................................

..Frazer...............Stretch..............................................Super..................................................RobboCarlos.....................................................................

.....................................................Greegsy......................................................................................................................................................................................

......................................................Super thumb...........................................................................................................................

Edited by JECK

5 hours ago, jamboman said:

San Marino (and every other shite team in Europe) are in a Nations League group of 4 so none of them would have been free to play in a friendly. Not that I think the SFA would have tried to play one of them anyway. They are deluded enough to think a friendly against Belgium would sell a lot of tickets. 

8 minutes ago, JECK said:

My team would be the following:

.............................................................Shagger................................................................................................................................................................

No       Sure...................Soapy..................................................Chico...................................................KT................................................................................................

..Frazer...............Stretch..............................................Super..................................................RobboCarlos.....................................................................

.....................................................Greegsy......................................................................................................................................................................................

......................................................Super thumb...........................................................................................................................

Dunno what this looks like on a computer but it looks like something my 3 year old son would do on my phone. 😂

Might as well give O’Donnell a start at right back.

I don't give a hoot about the game tomorrow and this is a new stage for me, which I don't really like but that's how emotionally I have changed with my attitude to the Nation team changed over the last campaign.  In one sense I am glad someone was held accountable but the pain runs deep brothers.  Lets see if we pick up the 3 points on Monday, maybe just maybe come Tuesday I might have that spark again. 

47 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I don't give a hoot about the game tomorrow and this is a new stage for me, which I don't really like but that's how emotionally I have changed with my attitude to the Nation team changed over the last campaign.  In one sense I am glad someone was held accountable but the pain runs deep brothers.  Lets see if we pick up the 3 points on Monday, maybe just maybe come Tuesday I might have that spark again. 

I can’t really understand this apathy that has set in recently.

What happened to supporting your team through thick and thin? Admittedly there’s been nothing but thin for a while but that’s life.

Imagine how Luxembourg or Malta fans feel after 100 years of being pish.

People can’t help how they feel, I get that, but the last campaign was actually quite a good one from our perspective. We competed right up until the final game and were a bawhair away from a playoff.

That’s our level now I’m afraid. We will scrap for second place in the qualifying group with the pot 2/3/4 teams (depending on what pot we’re in) and hopefully we’ll get second place sometime soon. 

Who knows, maybe we’ll get a decent team together in the near future and start qualifying regularly again. Wales and NI were total horse shit a few years ago. Far worse than we are now. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

I feel exactly the same as you.

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I can’t really understand this apathy that has set in recently.

What happened to supporting your team through thick and thin? Admittedly there’s been nothing but thin for a while but that’s life.

Imagine how Luxembourg or Malta fans feel after 100 years of being pish.

People can’t help how they feel, I get that, but the last campaign was actually quite a good one from our perspective. We competed right up until the final game and were a bawhair away from a playoff.

That’s our level now I’m afraid. We will scrap for second place in the qualifying group with the pot 2/3/4 teams (depending on what pot we’re in) and hopefully we’ll get second place sometime soon. 

Who knows, maybe we’ll get a decent team together in the near future and start qualifying regularly again. Wales and NI were total horse shit a few years ago. Far worse than we are now. 

If we played the game in Brussels then half the cunts who are saying how they can't be bothered with it would be posting all sorts of drivel about X amount of sleeps to go in "Ted's pre match party" thread.

looking at the squad we're nowhere near as strong as I thought in midfield!  Missing some experienced internationals in there with Brown gone.

could only really think of picking;

Gordon

Paterson Soutter Mulgrew Tierney

Forrest Mcgregor McGinn Armstrong Robertson

Griffiths

Decent enough team but a few injuries and struggling to see us qualifying with this lot.. the likes of McArther will be needed despite what McLeish says.

McLeish has taken on some tough first friendlies and we've looked solid enough but unable to score.  He had a severly limited squad to pick from.

I'm not as doom and gloom as most.  

The domestic game is on the rise as well.  There's lots to be positive about in scottish football.

That said, couldn't give a monkeys about the Belgium game..or even the Albania one.  The Nation's league still doesn't seem important either...even though it is!

i think folk just have more to be getting on in life than be bothering about friendlies.  It's been that way for a long time.

Suspect team will resemble something along the lines of this tonight  (but would not be shocked if one from Callum McGregor or McTominay starts in place of in place of either O'Donnell or Paterson)

........................McGregor

O'Donnell Souttar Mulgrew Tireney Robertson

.....Forrest Patterson McGinn Fraser

.........................Griffiths

13 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The appointment of McLeish is uninspiring at best. Give him the benefit of doubt but think that’s one of the main reasons why I’m feeling pretty flat about our future short term prospects.

Likewise - i'll be there tonight and Monday and off to Albania in November but McLeish fills me with zero confidence in his interviews/comments.

14 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The appointment of McLeish is uninspiring at best. Give him the benefit of doubt but think that’s one of the main reasons why I’m feeling pretty flat about our future short term prospects.

Aye, feels like we're just wasting time, waiting for the next manager.
I'm as unenthused as I've been at any point in the last 20 years.

I feel like we've got some promising players, and we're capable of winning the Nations League games.. I don't think McLeish helps our chances in that regard tho.

Am going to be pretty miffed if Callum mcgregor isn't playing both these games. We should be building the team round this lad if the Hungary game is anything to go by. Pops up for Celtic most of the time in their big European games 

4 hours ago, JECK said:

Am going to be pretty miffed if Callum mcgregor isn't playing both these games. We should be building the team round this lad if the Hungary game is anything to go by. Pops up for Celtic most of the time in their big European games 

Him and Armstrong were great together v Hungary