Team for forthcoming matches - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

I absolutely love this Tierney/Robertson dilemma, and how challenging it is to find the ideal solution. I'm not 100% certain of anything yet, but I think I believe the following things:

1) They should absolutely both start. 

2) If there's a way to have them both on the left side of the pitch it could be a potentially devastating partnership, if they gel. 

3) I feel really bad for Barry Douglas. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

What do you want to happen with tierney and Robertson? 

Tierney left back and Robertson left mid. He's played there before and it's more natural than say putting somebody like Fraser to right back/wingback or putting Tierney to centre half for example. Not to mention the suggestion of playing Souttar at full back.

Just my option, of course.

Problem is we have no idea what system McLeish is going to play.. which for me isn't overly comforting with the start of the nations league games. He's had 4 games and played a different system in each of them. You've got to think we'll set up differently again against Belgium in order to try and keep it respectable.. so come Albania, who knows what our plan is.

I don't think we'll know until an hour before kick off, and I'm feeling very much like my first reaction will be "ffs".

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tierney left back and Robertson left mid. He's played there before and it's more natural than say putting somebody like Fraser to right back/wingback or putting Tierney to centre half for example. Not to mention the suggestion of playing Souttar at full back.

So you’re happy to play one of the best left backs in Europe out of position but wouldn’t be happy with Tierney or Fraser being played out of position? 

Tierney has successfully played at RB and CB before so wouldn’t have a problem if he played there again. 

I would much rather have other decent defenders there in the first place so hopefully O’Donnell and Souttar come in and establish themselves with McKenna to come in later but until he’s back from injury we could do worse than have Tierney at CB. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So you’re happy to play one of the best left backs in Europe out of position but wouldn’t be happy with Tierney or Fraser being played out of position? 

Tierney has successfully played at RB and CB before so wouldn’t have a problem if he played there again. 

I would much rather have other decent defenders there in the first place so hopefully O’Donnell and Souttar come in and establish themselves with McKenna to come in later but until he’s back from injury we could do worse than have Tierney at CB. 

Robertson 100% at left back for me. 

45 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Tierney plays really high up the pitch in the majority of club games anyway so wouldn't take much to adapt him to left mid with Robertson overlapping him. Would actually be exciting to watch them bombing down the left and getting crosses into Griffiths.

Lots of people appear to want this to happen but I can’t see it. 

Having Tierney on the left (playing in the way you suggest, almost as a winger) would make us very one sided in attack and would also make Robertson redundant from an attacking point of view to a certain degree. 

We are not struggling for midfielders but we are short of good defenders. 

36 minutes ago, fringo said:

Based on a brief mention McLeish made about Johnny Russell yesterday, I think JR will feature either from the start or a decent spell from subs bench.

Fully deserved too IMO.

You shouldn’t say that too loudly on here. 

The ‘MLS is shite’ brigade will be out in force. Probably the same guys that want Watt and Shankland called up.

I wouldn’t mind Russell getting a start either. To be honest though I really don’t care who starts as long as we beat Albania. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Lots of people appear to want this to happen but I can’t see it. 

Having Tierney on the left (playing in the way you suggest, almost as a winger) would make us very one sided in attack and would also make Robertson redundant from an attacking point of view to a certain degree. 

We are not struggling for midfielders but we are short of good defenders. 

How is it making Robertson redundant in attack? Tierney isn't when playing left back for Celtic and he's overlapping Sinclair or whoever else. Tierney would be cutting inside and creative space for Robertson to get up the line, and they'd probably alternate throughout the game

You're right that we have a few not bad midfielders but the left hand side isn't particularly strong 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You shouldn’t say that too loudly on here. 

The ‘MLS is shite’ brigade will be out in force. Probably the same guys that want Watt and Shankland called up.

I wouldn’t mind Russell getting a start either. To be honest though I really don’t care who starts as long as we beat Albania. 

Personally, it's more based on his consistent performances in England over the last 5-6 years or so.

Should have got far more caps especially when we've struggled for attackers in recent years.

He was also quite decent v Mexico when given a rare opportunity and carried on that form in the USA.

JR & Griffiths starting would be quite exciting.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah sounds about right. Robertson spends most of his time with Liverpool making passes in the oppositions half anyway. 

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If a back 3 is good enough for 3 out of 4 world cup semi-finalists it will do for me.

Would do for me too if we had half of their players, only the best clubs and countries succeed three at the back

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Could be wrong but I think he's been playing for his club at left mid.

He has and is one of the main reasons Bournemouth have started the season so well. He played in every position on the park last season bar striker and goalkeeper  but it looks like he will have the left midfield slot for his club sewn up if he continues like this.

For me the thought of Tierney as left centre back with Robertson at left back and Fraser left midfield could make one area of the pitch very solid.

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

If a back 3 is good enough for 3 out of 4 world cup semi-finalists it will do for me.

First time he tries it out will be against one of those semi finalists

Edited by Bino's

49 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would do for me too if we had half of their players, only the best clubs and countries succeed three at the back

He has and is one of the main reasons Bournemouth have started the season so well. He played in every position on the park last season bar striker and goalkeeper  but it looks like he will have the left midfield slot for his club sewn up if he continues like this.

For me the thought of Tierney as left centre back with Robertson at left back and Fraser left midfield could make one area of the pitch very solid.

Tierney is a good player and agree we have to get him on the pitch

But he is not a very solid left centre half

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

How is it making Robertson redundant in attack? Tierney isn't when playing left back for Celtic and he's overlapping Sinclair or whoever else. Tierney would be cutting inside and creative space for Robertson to get up the line, and they'd probably alternate throughout the game

You're right that we have a few not bad midfielders but the left hand side isn't particularly strong 

Robertson wouldn’t need to get down the left as much if Tierney was also doing it. They’d be getting in each other’s way, particularly if Tierney isn’t used to that position.

I’m not saying it couldn’t work but it certainly wouldn’t be my first choice. 

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Tierney is a good player and agree we have to get him on the pitch

But he is not a very solid left centre half

He looked pretty solid against the Netherlands at Pittodrie. 

He has also played in the middle a few times for Celtic I believe although I’m not a Celtic fan so don’t have any specific details. 

With McKenna and Berra missing I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if McLeish played him there in the next 2 matches. He’s already hinted at it in his press conference yesterday. 

I reckon v Belgium we will play like this...

Gordon

O'Donnell   Souttar     Mulgrew.    Tierney

McTominay

Armstrong.             McGinn

Fraser.                                       Robertson

Griffiths                                        

We need Armstrong, McGinn, Robertson and Fraser in our team as they are all great at pressing the ball which is our strength and how the fans like to see us play. Would love McGregor in there too but if we play a pressing  a game we need someone holding so behind that you need a holding Midfielder and last time McTominay played against Hazard he marked him out the game so get him in and tell him to do a job sitting in there.

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

We need Armstrong, McGinn, Robertson and Fraser in our team as they are all great at pressing the ball which is our strength and how the fans like to see us play. Would love McGregor in there too but if we play a pressing  a game we need someone holding so behind that you need a holding Midfielder and last time McTominay played against Hazard he marked him out the game so get him in and tell him to do a job sitting in there.

Yes, that’s true, but I also think McGinn is likely to be asked to play a holding role a lot more often in his career as he moves up the levels. He’s very strong in the tackle and is suited to the position. 

14 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Tierney isn't talented enough to be cutting inside. His talent is hitting the byline and generally drilling or cutting crosses back. Be absolutely wasted shown onto his right.