Team for forthcoming matches - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for forthcoming matches

Malcolm

Fraser will play right wing back imo. Guy is in form and has played that position for his club.

It's an o.k squad, not a huge amount of match winners but still some good quality in Tierney, Armstrong, Robertson etc. Show me a nation of Scotland's level that has brilliant players in all postions, Wales don't and ROI certainly don't, look at what they've called up today!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45322004

Seamus Coleman is a class player but so much of this is uninspiring yet they made the last euros and qualified for the World cup play offs from a tricky group.

8 hours ago, Doric said:

What about up front McBurnie !!!!!!! We were worried about the defence now up front is as bad. Griffiths has lost his touch and the alternative is errrrr Mc Burnie.

He should be excluded even though he's scoring regularly?!

I accept the guy has much to prove if he can cut it at international level but he's scored about 20 goals for Swansea and Barnsley since the start of the year and considering the lack of options and also the fact scoring regularly at championship level has been enough to get players like Rhodes regularly in the squad and I don't see your criteria for him missing out.

Back 5 will be something like:

Souttar    Mulgrew      Tierney

Fraser                                                     Robertson

I think Matt Phillips will play upfront with Griffiths. McBurnie plan B option off the bench.

Central midfield is strongest part of the squad so most important thing is to pick a balanced trio.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think Matt Phillips will play upfront with Griffiths. McBurnie plan B option off the bench.

Central midfield is strongest part of the squad so most important thing is to pick a balanced trio.

I think O’ Donnell deserves a start.

12 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Exactly, Mulgrew was an established international who strolled league one.

While I’ve nothing against Liam Lindsay I wonder how many who are demanding he be called up have actually seen him play since he left Partick.

I wasn't demanding anything, I just asked if he was injured. I haven't seen him play at all for Barnsley but I do see Jack Hendry play every single game and doubt he can be any worse.

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Yes but Mulgrew had experience at a much higher level. 

But had been out the national team for a while before earning a recall while playing in league one. There's been other examples anyway, Jordan Rhodes was banging them in for Huddersfield when he got his first call up and nobody questioned the league he was playing in.

9 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think that will be the back 5 with McGinn & McTominay in midfield and McGregor & Armstrong supporting Griffiths in attack.

3 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

But had been out the national team for a while before earning a recall while playing in league one. There's been other examples anyway, Jordan Rhodes was banging them in for Huddersfield when he got his first call up and nobody questioned the league he was playing in.

Yes they did. Most people asked whether Rhodes would be able to make the big step up and the answer appears to be that he can't. 

We shouldn't be picking players from England's third division. Mulgrew wasn't ideal but he was a player with Champions League experience playing in a problem position for us and looked like Messi in that division. 

21 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Yes they did. Most people asked whether Rhodes would be able to make the big step up and the answer appears to be that he can't. 

We shouldn't be picking players from England's third division. Mulgrew wasn't ideal but he was a player with Champions League experience playing in a problem position for us and looked like Messi in that division. 

Any time I've seen him play for Partick he's looked a better player than Hendry, I doubt a few months in league one has made him any worse.

Edited by Scotland Ever More

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I wasn't demanding anything, I just asked if he was injured. I haven't seen him play at all for Barnsley but I do see Jack Hendry play every single game and doubt he can be any worse.

Of course you weren’t demanding, I’ve just read numerous comments on various media over the last 24 hours though with people wanting him called up and probably haven’t seen him play since he left the jags.

For what it’s worth I think Hanley is probably better than Hendry and Lindsay.

I'm happy with the team. It's not a bunch of world beaters but it is a resounding change of the gaurd. Which we were all calling out for. 

I was quite struck by Oneils comments that they had 24yr olds with 50 caps while our best ones had 5. 10x experience at international level is a massive gulf.

We need to put our chips down behind this squad, build that individual experience and hold tight. I wouldn't chop and change unless there is a very compelling reason. O'Donnell should start.

As much as mccleish gives me the shiters at least he's got a half decent squad that should win their nations league group, regardless of anything else.

27 minutes ago, Ormond said:

They play in the same position. If one has to miss out then so be it. 

Lots of players are perfectly capable of playing in more than one position, Tierney included. 

I agree that players shouldn’t be played out of position if we already have a better player in that position or if playing the player out of position would be a liability but neither of those would necessarily be true if Tierney was played at RB or CB. 

I haven’t seen much of O’Donnell but he shouldn’t be in the squad if he’s not good enough to play so he should be given a chance at RB. 

McLeish has already hinted that Tierney will play in central defence so it’s more than likely this will be the case. 

40 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I'm happy with the team. It's not a bunch of world beaters but it is a resounding change of the gaurd. Which we were all calling out for. 

I was quite struck by Oneils comments that they had 24yr olds with 50 caps while our best ones had 5. 10x experience at international level is a massive gulf.

We need to put our chips down behind this squad, build that individual experience and hold tight. I wouldn't chop and change unless there is a very compelling reason. O'Donnell should start.

As much as mccleish gives me the shiters at least he's got a half decent squad that should win their nations league group, regardless of anything else.

Good point. Time we stopped fretting about where they play. Southgate is calling up people who are not in the first team every week, creating a club mentality. We have to stop this chopping and changing.