Country music.. What's your thoughts? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Country music.. What's your thoughts?

55 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Great Big Sea....Spirit of the West.... The Barra Mc Niels..

I prefer Molly Rankin's band Alvvays - been to see them 3 times now

Just now, Jim Beem said:

A lot of the Johnny Cash stuff is tremendous. Pretty sure you could lump that in as Country music 

It is mate. Johnny Cash is an absolute legend over here. Not my cup of tea, but credit where credit is due, , the man sang for over 50 years. 

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

It is mate. Johnny Cash is an absolute legend over here. Not my cup of tea, but credit where credit is due, , the man sang for over 50 years. 

Some epic beer drinking tunes Raymundo, thought he’d have been right up your street 😀

13 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Had a thought on this today. Most professional musicians will have been fannying about in bands since their teens. A few will have had proper jobs or careers for very short time, most will have bits and pieces work to support their musical careers. So this applys really to all music but lets take country.

Singing about falling in love with MaryLou in the haybarn when they were 18 is ok. But these musicians singing songs about country life or life in general haven't tasted 25 years in a car factory or doing accounts in an office, try writing a song about the romance of product quality auditing.

Anyway quite like Johnny Cash.

The term "Country Music" covers so many different musical styles that it's an impossible question to answer. I like some "country music" and some I'm not so keen on. I would say that Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Willie Nelson have all done "country music". Anybody who don't like them ain't worth listening to, IMO.

22 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Some epic beer drinking tunes Raymundo, thought he’d have been right up your street 😀

To be honest mate, I don't mind Johnny Cash. I just don't like conntry music, but there is something about Johnny. Ma Dad loved him. "Walk the Line" is a good tune. Aye, drinking songs. 😂😂

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Is country music big in Scotland? I'm talking the likes of Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton for example. Reason I am asking is ma wife loves it, she is trying to convert me. No happenin, yae ken? I cannae stand it. I love Scottish folk, Celtic folk, Bagpipes , as I am a legendary Piper here in Ottawa. Canadian country music is similar to our folk music, only annoying. I just cannae get into it. Country music is massive in Canada and the US. Just wondering if it is listened to in Scotland..  Cheers..

Most country music is heavily influenced by Scottish and Irish folk music.

Johnny Cash traced his ancestors back to Strathmiglo in Fife. If I had been him, I wouldn't have admitted to that.:lol:

Just now, Orraloon said:

Most country music is heavily influenced by Scottish and Irish folk music.

Johnny Cash traced his ancestors back to Strathmiglo in Fife. If I had been him, I wouldn't have admitted to that.:lol:

Did not know that about Johnny. That explains his drink problem then. 😁, No disrespect of course. I agree with the origins of country music coming away from Scotland and Ireland. I just don't like it. Too twangy and dramatic for me. My favorite folk band is actually Capercaillie. Been listening to them almost 30 year now. "Blood is Strong" is by far their best production. Karen Matheson has some voice....

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Did not know that about Johnny. That explains his drink problem then. 😁, No disrespect of course. I agree with the origins of country music coming away from Scotland and Ireland. I just don't like it. Too twangy and dramatic for me. My favorite folk band is actually Capercaillie. Been listening to them almost 30 year now. "Blood is Strong" is by far their best production. Karen Matheson has some voice....

You might be interested in digging out the Transatlantic Sessions if you haven't already seen them?

A bit of Cajun in here too. Is Cajun country music? I dunno?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You might be interested in digging out the Transatlantic Sessions if you haven't already seen them?

Cheers for that mate. Mary Chapman Carpenter is very well known over here.

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can’t listen to Cajun music without thinking about that film Southern Comfort 😳😳

59 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Neither does David Allan Coe.

Love that. And love David Allan Coe. One of the last survivors of the Heartworn Highways film, which is a must see if you're interested in the birth of alt-country.

13 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Love that. And love David Allan Coe. One of the last survivors of the Heartworn Highways film, which is a must see if you're interested in the birth of alt-country.

He has written some pretty interesting songs like "I made Linda Lovelace gag" and "Cumstains on my pillow" and some others too rude to mention. The Jimmy Buffet one is pretty tame by comparison.:lol:

Grew up on it - my dad loved the stuff so had a country channel on the radio in the car constantly.  That and my mum's preference for trad jazz!

Can't beat a bit of Sydney Devine..however, for some reason, we couldn't stop playing this song on the jukebox when I was at college (for clarification that was in the early 80s...not when the song originally came out).