Country music.. What's your thoughts? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Country music.. What's your thoughts?

Is country music big in Scotland? I'm talking the likes of Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton for example. Reason I am asking is ma wife loves it, she is trying to convert me. No happenin, yae ken? I cannae stand it. I love Scottish folk, Celtic folk, Bagpipes , as I am a legendary Piper here in Ottawa. Canadian country music is similar to our folk music, only annoying. I just cannae get into it. Country music is massive in Canada and the US. Just wondering if it is listened to in Scotland..  Cheers..

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have never ever "got" it at all

Absolute drivel - apart from this

They are brilliant mate. Seen them in concert 3 times. They are not considered country, they are from Nova Scotia and it is Easy Coast Folk music. Nice one. 

Had a thought on this today. Most professional musicians will have been fannying about in bands since their teens. A few will have had proper jobs or careers for very short time, most will have bits and pieces work to support their musical careers. So this applys really to all music but lets take country.

Singing about falling in love with MaryLou in the haybarn when they were 18 is ok. But these musicians singing songs about country life or life in general haven't tasted 25 years in a car factory or doing accounts in an office, try writing a song about the romance of product quality auditing.

Anyway quite like Johnny Cash.

Not sure it's as simple as lumping everything together and calling it country. I think most of that type of genre (you know, the twangy voice and tassled cowboy suits) could more accurately be called country and western. It's never really caught on here like the States where it's huge. 

The term country is really so broad that it's difficult to affix it to anyone with being more specific. For example, alt-country, country folk, country rock, country blues, or attempt to drill down even further by using terms such as hillbilly or bluegrass. 

I think most people see the term country and immediately turn off because they see Dolly Parton and Garth Brooks, but there's so much else. Steve Earle and those 'alt-country' singers were initially hurt them because they weren't singing traditional country. So the folk and rock audiences missed them and the traditional country audiences hated them. But most groups playing rock music will be incorporating country into their songs. For example, Dylan, Springsteen, or from over here groups like the Waterboys. 

I'm into DUTCH country 'n' western!

By that, I mean the Common Linnets and especially their debut album.

Understandably, it's not out 'n' out American country 'n' western.

On the subject of which, I like the female country singers; the men are all a bit YEE-HA!

I am not a huge fan of what is classed as typical country music,  though I do like Glen Campbell.

However I went to see this band a few months ago on a bit of a whim after listening to one song , I was introduced to them by someone on this board.  

They were great, as were the audience.  

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have never ever "got" it at all

Absolute drivel - apart from this

You should check out these 3 mate. 

Great Big Sea.                                                 Spirit of the West.                                        The Barra McNiels