Allan McGregor - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allan McGregor

er yir macaroon

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Outstanding is not the word I would use when i have watched highlights or full length matches. He's been good but not outstanding.

Are you on the wind up? He has conceded 3 goals in 8 games and one of them was a deflection. He had no chance with the Aberdeen or Maribor goals either. 

I was at 4 of the 8 games and watched the other 4 in full on the telly and in my opinion he was outstanding in all of the games when he had to be. He wasn’t really tested against St Mirren or Aberdeen (until injury time) to be fair but that’s hardly his fault is it?

From memory, Craig Gordon has conceded 6 goals in 8 games. I haven’t seen much of Celtic so I don’t know if any of the goals were his fault.

I actually don’t mind which one of the two starts against Albania as they are both good keepers but to suggest McGregor has only put in one very good performance this season is absurd, particularly coming from someone that hasn’t seen all of his performances. 

Allan McGregor has certainly been good but not outstanding so far this season. Is he worthy of consideration for our next game - Yes.

Is he better than Craig Gordon to be Scotland's goalie v Belgium and Albania  - that's for Alex McLeish to decide.

But lest we forget - McGregor was the cunt that sat in that dug out beside Barrington Ferguson in April 2009 against Iceland. As did Berra.

That should sway a marginal decision between Gordon and McGregor every time.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Allan McGregor has certainly been good but not outstanding so far this season. Is he worthy of consideration for our next game - Yes.

Is he better than Craig Gordon to be Scotland's goalie v Belgium and Albania  - that's for Alex McLeish to decide.

But lest we forget - McGregor was the cunt that sat in that dug out beside Barrington Ferguson in April 2009 against Iceland. As did Berra.

That should sway a marginal decision between Gordon and McGregor every time.

Drivel. 

47 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

What's drivel then?

McGregor hasn't been good this season?

McLeish should make the decision?

McGregor was a cunt in 2009?

Go for it.

McGregor has been excellent this season. If you think otherwise then you don’t know much about goalkeeping/football.

Of course McLeish should make the decision. That’s his job. 

McLeish should base his decision on which keeper is playing best at the moment. Something that happened almost 10 years ago should have absolutely no bearing on who starts between the sticks against Albania. Suggesting it should is absolute drivel of the highest order. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

McGregor has been excellent this season. If you think otherwise then you don’t know much about goalkeeping/football.

McLeish should base his decision on which keeper is playing best at the moment. Something that happened almost 10 years ago should have absolutely no bearing on who starts between the sticks against Albania. Suggesting it should is absolute drivel of the highest order. 

This.

Much more recent is the mass exodus of players who didn’t want to play for Scotland in May/June. 

Do we punish them for that? No we don’t.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Ive noticed that You seem to really struggle with other people having an opinion different to you, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they know nothing of the subject being discussed.

None if us have said McGregor doesn't deserve a chance but aren't getting carried away like the OP. 

Barney is right, McGregors behaviour in 2009 should never be forgotten, brown and McLeish get a lot of shit on here for walking out on Scotland but what McGregor did was far worse.

If McGregor keeps up his form he will be considered by McLeish, what he shouldn't  be is the clear number one keeper after one performance which is what the OP suggested. 

To be honest there's not much point to this debate, I'm sure we will both agree it's great to have two good goalkeepers at our disposal. I'll settle for any of them if on form.

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

What's drivel then?

McGregor hasn't been good this season?

McLeish should make the decision?

McGregor was a cunt in 2009?

Go for it.

I'm totally baffled here, we are actually in agreement with texas pete. Mcgregor has been good, is it only because we didn't upgrade that description to excellent or outstanding? He thinks I am on the wind up but we both agree its good to have a choice of keepers for the Albania game

Edited by vanderark14

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ive noticed that You seem to really struggle with other people having an opinion different to you, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they know nothing of the subject being discussed.

None if us have said McGregor doesn't deserve a chance but aren't getting carried away like the OP. 

Barney is right, McGregors behaviour in 2009 should never be forgotten, brown and McLeish get a lot of shit on here for walking out on Scotland but what McGregor did was far worse.

If McGregor keeps up his form he will be considered by McLeish, what he shouldn't  be is the clear number one keeper after one performance which is what the OP suggested. 

To be honest there's not much point to this debate, I'm sure we will both agree it's great to have two good goalkeepers at our disposal. I'll settle for any of them if on form.

I’ve noticed that you don’t appear to be able to grasp my simple point. 

McGregor hasn’t only had one great performance as you keep repeating over and over again as if it’s true. He has been excellent all season. I have seen all his performances in full, you have not. I will therefore trust my opinion on this over yours, on this occasion.

If anyone thinks that Gordon has also been excellent and deserves to play ahead of McGregor then fair enough. I would respect that opinion. I haven’t seen enough of Gordon this year to gauge his form. McLeish will have though which is the most important thing. 

What happened in 2009 is in the past and should have no bearing on who plays against Albania, in my opinion. To potentially leave a better keeper on the bench because he made a rude gesture a decade ago would be hindering our chances of qualifying and would be a petulant, silly and shortsighted thing to do. 

I strongly doubt McLeish will consider the events of 2009 so it was a bit of a pointless comment from Barney in my opinion, which you are free to disagree with. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm totally baffled here, we are actually in agreement with texas pete. Mcgregor has been good, is it only because we didn't upgrade that description to excellent or outstanding? He thinks I am on the wind up but we both agree its good to have a choice of keepers for the Albania game

Yeah, seems it's Pete's way or the highway re McGregor.

Strange thread altogether - folk also suggesting that Gordon's had numerous howlers for Scotland?????

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I strongly doubt McLeish will consider the events of 2009 so it was a bit of a pointless comment from Barney in my opinion, which you are free to disagree with. 

I agree with you that it's doubtful that McLeish will consider those events, but the comment was not pointless. The behaviour of those involved was unacceptable then and nine years on that remains the case.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yeah, seems it's Pete's way or the highway re McGregor.

Strange thread altogether - folk also suggesting that Gordon's had numerous howlers for Scotland?????

If you wish to dispute my posts, please feel free to direct your comments at me rather than talking about me between yourselves. 

I have disputed @vanderark14‘s comment that McGregor has only had one great performance this year. Is that not allowed or something?

I have disputed @Barney Rubble‘’s comment that the events of 2009 should be taken into consideration when selecting our keeper a decade later. If that’s how you would pick our team then I’m glad you’re not the manager. Holding a grudge all these years is up to you. That doesn’t mean I need to agree with it and I’m entitled to share my opinion just as you are. 

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I agree with you that it's doubtful that McLeish will consider those events, but the comment was not pointless. The behaviour of those involved was unacceptable then and nine years on that remains the case.

The behaviour was unacceptable, agreed. The players were punished though and most folk have moved on. 

Have you never made a mistake? Do you think a mistake you made 9 years ago should have any bearing on your job now?

If McGregor’s behaviour in 2009 was that terrible he shouldn’t be in the squad. If the SFA have decided that he can be selected for Scotland then what he did in 2009 must not be a factor on who starts, in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

The behaviour was unacceptable, agreed. The players were punished though and most folk have moved on. 

Have you never made a mistake? Do you think a mistake you made 9 years ago should have any bearing on your job now?

If McGregor’s behaviour in 2009 was that terrible he shouldn’t be in the squad. If the SFA have decided that he can be selected for Scotland then what he did in 2009 must not be a factor on who starts, in my opinion. 

Pete - your last two posts suggest that maybe you need to take things a little less seriously.

25 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

rangers make a decent start to the season and all of a sudden their players should be walking into the Scotland team ahead of who have been performing well for more than 5 minutes.

Hasn’t McGregor been in the Scotland squad, and playing on and off, for years?

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If you wish to dispute my posts, please feel free to direct your comments at me rather than talking about me between yourselves. 

I have disputed @vanderark14‘s comment that McGregor has only had one great performance this year. Is that not allowed or something?

I have disputed @Barney Rubble‘’s comment that the events of 2009 should be taken into consideration when selecting our keeper a decade later. If that’s how you would pick our team then I’m glad you’re not the manager. Holding a grudge all these years is up to you. That doesn’t mean I need to agree with it and I’m entitled to share my opinion just as you are. 

then I suggest you read my comments again

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ve noticed that you don’t appear to be able to grasp my simple point. 

McGregor hasn’t only had one great performance as you keep repeating over and over again as if it’s true. He has been excellent all season. I have seen all his performances in full, you have not. I will therefore trust my opinion on this over yours, on this occasion.

If anyone thinks that Gordon has also been excellent and deserves to play ahead of McGregor then fair enough. I would respect that opinion. I haven’t seen enough of Gordon this year to gauge his form. McLeish will have though which is the most important thing. 

What happened in 2009 is in the past and should have no bearing on who plays against Albania, in my opinion. To potentially leave a better keeper on the bench because he made a rude gesture a decade ago would be hindering our chances of qualifying and would be a petulant, silly and shortsighted thing to do. 

I haven't repeated anything, go read the thread from the start. I disputed the OP's post, he suggested McGregor is our clear number one after thursdays perforemance. You seem to want to fight with anyone who doesn't rank McGregors season as anything higher than good. I have watched him this season and I think he's been good but he's not the clear number one as was suggested. I'm not sure whats wrong with that but you seem to have wanked yourself into a complete furious state of anger because I never agreed that he was/is outstanding. Talk about arguing for fuck all

you need to go an have a lie down.  I'm 95% in agreement with you but you seem to be spoiling for a fight. 

go have a drink or something, I'm off for a pint.

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I haven't repeated anything, go read the thread from the start. I disputed the OP's post, he suggested McGregor is our clear number one after thursdays perforemance. You seem to want to fight with anyone who doesn't rank McGregors season as anything higher than good. I have watched him this season and I think he's been good but he's not the clear number one as was suggested. I'm not sure whats wrong with that but you seem to have wanked yourself into a complete furious state of anger because I never agreed that he was/is outstanding. Talk about arguing for fuck all

you need to go an have a lie down.  I'm 95% in agreement with you but you seem to be spoiling for a fight. 

go have a drink or something, I'm off for a pint.

😂😂😂 spoiling for a fight? Settle down sweetheart. 

I was simply advising you that he has had more than one great performance this year and you don’t appear to agree with that. Which is fine, if you’ve seen all of his performances. Which you don’t appear to have done, based on what you’ve said before.

Still, you know best, eh? 

The McGregor thing in 2009: nobody seriously bought the press line that he and Ferguson were clicking the Vs at Scotland fans, surely?

They were clearly directing it at the press for (rightly) slamming them for their drinking session at Cameron House Hotel. 

They were naïve dicks for resorting to such childish measures as flicking Vs, and the press were uber-cynical by twisting it to shame them even further.

Nobody came out of it well, but the sum total of McGregor's crimes were getting pished (or, more accurately getting caught getting pished - Scott Brown and a good few others were at it with them but didn't get caught) and being a bit simple re how to react to the press coverage. Hardly like he wiped his arse on the saltire while eating jellied eels and singing three lions.

Jimmy Johnstone did the Vs at the press thing after a Scotland England game. We all managed to move on from that.

Edited by Rude Gullit

13 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

The McGregor thing in 2009: nobody seriously bought the press line that he and Ferguson were clicking the Vs at Scotland fans, surely?

They were clearly directing it at the press for (rightly) slamming them for their drinking session at Cameron House Hotel. 

They were naïve dicks for resorting to such childish measures as flicking Vs, and the press were uber-cynical by twisting it to shame them even further.

Nobody came out of it well, but the sum total of McGregor's crimes were getting pished (or, more accurately getting caught getting pished - Scott Brown and a good few others were at it with them but didn't get caught) and being a bit simple re how to react to the press coverage. Hardly like he wiped his arse on the saltire while eating jellied eels and singing three lions.

Jimmy Johnstone did the Vs at the press thing after a Scotland England game. We all managed to move on from that.

Correct