Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

The association club efficient looks very good for this season ranking 7th so far . The best of leagues with 4 teams at the start and in the best position with two out of 4 remaining . For income and future advantage it does have a plus but only accentuates the increase in the rich leagues . 
Scotland does have two massive clubs unlike any in comparative countries and leagues. 
We also have an unmatchable interest domestically in turning up for national leagues and national team games for such a small nation and poor performance. 
I reckon it fits in with our historical record still for attendances. It’s a bit mental but in total synchronised vibe with us. Jelled and Hyde at our own home matches. 

our teams just need a bit of what our middle distance athletes are on .

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And no doubt if the money was distributing around better then they would have been able to do 'their bit'.

Id say most teams would have a great chance of reaching the last 32 of the europa if they were able to fork out 9m for a player. 

11 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Any updates on positions then?

My spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1thIAAcmXqreI529IccUBDJ57FtK4rkgDilAuD0-0itc/edit?usp=sharing

We're fourteenth and if Celtic beat Copenhagen in their second leg, we definitely go up to thirteenth (there's no difference in qualification places/rounds difference between those positions). 

The sheet called "2020-21 Qualification Places" in the spreadsheet lists the qualification places for next season with the new UEFA Europa Conference League competition.

Being either thirteenth or fourteenth will give you two Champions League places (1st: Champions Path Q3; 2nd: League Path Q2), one Europa League place (Cup Winners or 3rd: League Path Q3) and two Conference League places (3rd/4th or 4th/5th: League Path Q2).

A complex array of transfers between competitions (yes, it is possible to drop from CL to EL and then from EL to Cnf) means that if each side gets knocked out at their first round:

• 1st - CL Champions Q3 -> EL Play-Offs
  • 2nd - CL League Q2 -> EL League Q3
  • CW/3rd - EL League Q3 -> Cnf League PO

Long story short, our current/highest possible position will give us two Champions League places, one Europa League place and two Conference League places and our clubs will be in better positions to remain in Europe come the group stages (especially the cup winners).

7 hours ago, Shaundy said:

The association club efficient looks very good for this season ranking 7th so far . The best of leagues with 4 teams at the start and in the best position with two out of 4 remaining . For income and future advantage it does have a plus but only accentuates the increase in the rich leagues . 
Scotland does have two massive clubs unlike any in comparative countries and leagues. 
We also have an unmatchable interest domestically in turning up for national leagues and national team games for such a small nation and poor performance. 
I reckon it fits in with our historical record still for attendances. It’s a bit mental but in total synchronised vibe with us. Jelled and Hyde at our own home matches. 

our teams just need a bit of what our middle distance athletes are on .

We're now up to sixth, having overtaken the Netherlands - meaning we've only been bettered by England, Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal (in that order).

We're a full 3.250 points above the next best nation who had four teams in Europe this season (Serbia who have 6.000 points), the equivalent of six wins and a draw. And that's despite Kilmarnock getting knocked out by in their first round by a Welsh part-time team.

If we had an extra team that lost both of their matches, to show the worst case scenario of us gaining an extra team, we'd be level in ninth with Belgium. Which means we're in a position to sustain our good coefficient scores from the previous couple of years despite gaining an extra team.

7 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

We're now up to sixth, having overtaken the Netherlands - meaning we've only been bettered by England, Spain, Germany, Italy and Portugal (in that order).

We're a full 3.250 points above the next best nation who had four teams in Europe this season (Serbia who have 6.000 points), the equivalent of six wins and a draw. And that's despite Kilmarnock getting knocked out by in their first round by a Welsh part-time team.

If we had an extra team that lost both of their matches, to show the worst case scenario of us gaining an extra team, we'd be level in ninth with Belgium. Which means we're in a position to sustain our good coefficient scores from the previous couple of years despite gaining an extra team.

Remember the new competition starts that year, god knows what that will do to the coefficients. Say 3 teams from Greece end up in the conference league and win every group game against poor opposition (it most likely will be). If they keep the same points distribution and have 4 teams that would be 9 points from those 3 teams before you add in qualifiers. Unless they change the amount of points for the third tier competition then a lot of sides are going to yoyo from 13-20th every season.

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

OK, ridiculous question for our resident Euro experts. See in the highly unlikely event of Celtic or Rangers winning the Europa League do we get a 3rd team in the Champions league? 

Ridiculous question I know 🤔

I read something on Twitter from a site called "UEFA Calculator" that said for Scotland to get to 10th or 11th which would get us one team in to group stages we'd need one of us to get to 1/4s and the other to the final.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

For the coefficient, probably.  In every other context it would be a disaster.

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

3 consecutive Old Firms. Wid be worse than a plague of coronavirus!

It would be mental.

I think it would be hilarious!

You could potentially have 5 in about a month, pre-split, post split, 2 x europa league and Scottish cup semi.

We’d need to call in the army!

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I read something on Twitter from a site called "UEFA Calculator" that said for Scotland to get to 10th or 11th which would get us one team in to group stages we'd need one of us to get to 1/4s and the other to the final.

Yeah but say Celtic win the league and Rangers win the EL do we get a 3rd CL spot? 

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I was wondering if them drawing each other would be good? Points for 2 wins and a team guaranteed in 1/4 final....

Probably depends what the alternative is.

Teams likely to be in the next round include - Wolves, Sporting CP, Getafe, Bayer Leverkusen, Basel, Sevilla, Arsenal, LASK, Man Utd, Inter Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg and Roma.  

There aren't too many in there that I'd really want to avoid.  Ideally you stay away from the Spanish, German and English sides but even most of those would be team I would hope Celtic could have a go against.   rangers seem to be able to compete against most sides at this level too.  

Having said that, tonight won't be easy. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Probably depends what the alternative is.

Teams likely to be in the next round include - Wolves, Sporting CP, Getafe, Bayer Leverkusen, Basel, Sevilla, Arsenal, LASK, Man Utd, Inter Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg and Roma.  

There aren't too many in there that I'd really want to avoid.  Ideally you stay away from the Spanish, German and English sides but even most of those would be team I would hope Celtic could have a go against.   rangers seem to be able to compete against most sides at this level too.  

Having said that, tonight won't be easy. 

Not really an easy tie in there.  We've knocked out 2 Portuguese teams (with relative ease) who are both placed higher in the league than Sporting to I suppose in theory they'd be a "good" draw.  Either them or Copenhagen.....

5 hours ago, slasher said:

OK, ridiculous question for our resident Euro experts. See in the highly unlikely event of Celtic or Rangers winning the Europa League do we get a 3rd team in the Champions league? 

Ridiculous question I know 🤔

You'd get 2 next season only if the other wins the league. 

Liverpool won CL last year but England didn't get a 5th place. 

1 hour ago, Debian said:

You'd get 2 next season only if the other wins the league. 

Liverpool won CL last year but England didn't get a 5th place. 

If Liverpool had finished 5th they’d have got 5 I think?

Did this not happen a few years ago? Think it was Chelsea maybe?

*actually read that properly and realised that was what you were saying. 👍🏻

Edited by sbcmfc

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Yeah but say Celtic win the league and Rangers win the EL do we get a 3rd CL spot? 

This season no, because the extra European places will only apply from next season for qualification for the 2021-22 season. If the scenario above occurred next season then yes we would if Rangers didn't finish in the top two of the league.

Edited by Clyde1998

10 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Not really an easy tie in there.  We've knocked out 2 Portuguese teams (with relative ease) who are both placed higher in the league than Sporting to I suppose in theory they'd be a "good" draw.  Either them or Copenhagen.....

mmmmm....

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

Basel out tonight.

14th place confirmed, which is a pretty magnificant result.

Champions: UCL 3QR

Runners-up: UCL 3QR

Cup winners: UEL 3QR

3rd & 4th - 2QR Europa Conference.

Edit- i think that the Runners up should br UCL 2QR.

12 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Basel out tonight.

14th place confirmed, which is a pretty magnificant result.

Champions: UCL 3QR

Runners-up: UCL 3QR

Cup winners: UEL 3QR

3rd & 4th - 2QR Europa Conference.

If the Cup winners are one of the top 4, does the other place go to 5th in the League? In that scenario, I think I would prefer the last place to go to the League Cup winners.