Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I think I know the answer to this but the club coefficient has no impact/benefit on the national team, does it?

Think they’re separate.

A fringe benefit might be better quality European competition for Scottish teams and better chance of progression to groups etc. Means better chance of keeping our better players longer, but stil playing high level football....

Also means the season starts a few weeks later avoiding players being burnt out in September. 😂

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

That's for the start of the next campaign (To determine the coefficient for 22/23). We start in 13th I believe and we actually have a small chance of making 11th that year (group stage for champions). Turkey have done poorly this year and most of their teams could be out tomorrow, while rangers and Celtic could both be through. If both could get to the second knockout round, we could set ourselves up great for a crack at 11th next year.

For this season (to determine the coefficient for 21/22) we are behind Czech Republic by just under 1 point (2 wins). With Celtic already through and rangers in a great position to qualify, I'm quietly confident we'll catch thrm. Getting to 14th means 1 less qualifying round for the champions and Scottish cup winners

Cheers for that, I thought it was position at the start of the season, not end of previous

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Both teams through gives us a great chance of reaching our target but that late goal could prove to be vital.  

All depends on the draw now.  I'd like Celtic to get APOEL as beating them would be huge.  

Aye it's a precarious position. We have a great chance in that we have 2 teams to their 1 but the luck of the draw could completely null that. Celtic get Roma, Rangers get Inter, APOEL get Malmö. If that happened I'd give us little chance of catching them

On 12/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, PASTA Mick said:

Both teams through gives us a great chance of reaching our target but that late goal could prove to be vital.  

All depends on the draw now.  I'd like Celtic to get APOEL as beating them would be huge.  

Why's a Celtic fan excited about Rangers getting in the Champions League? 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Do people still think the co efficient matters? 

The CL/UEFA doesnt want scottish clubs. Even with two CL spots the chances of qualifying are minimal now

Indeed. Even worse are the non-OF fans who think the two richest clubs in the country growing their financial advantage is "good for Scottish football" 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Do people still think the co efficient matters? 

The CL/UEFA doesnt want scottish clubs. Even with two CL spots the chances of qualifying are minimal now

Apparently so. 

Even old firm fans should know their place but I suppose they might benefit the odd season. 

19 hours ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. Even worse are the non-OF fans who think the two richest clubs in the country growing their financial advantage is "good for Scottish football" 

Tbf if we get to 12th next season (we are 2 points behind Ukraine), Aberdeen would go straight into the group stages of the Europa League. Which would net your club millions. 

27 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Tbf if we get to 12th next season (we are 2 points behind Ukraine), Aberdeen would go straight into the group stages of the Europa League. Which would net your club millions. 

You're kidding,right? We would still find a way to fuck it up

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Fair enough, straight into the group stages whilst in the bottom 6 of the Scottish Premiership would indeed be mightily impressive. 

Seriously though, is that even remotely correct?

2 hours ago, Redz said:

Fair enough, straight into the group stages whilst in the bottom 6 of the Scottish Premiership would indeed be mightily impressive. 

Seriously though, is that even remotely correct?

Scottish cup winner would go straight into the group stages, if rangers or Celtic won the cup then third would get straight into the group stages.

15 minutes ago, Redz said:

Where are you reading that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League

I know wiki isn't always the most reliable, so checked through the coefficient for this season and Switzerland where 12th and got an automatic group stage. Checked back and Switzerland where 12th the year before and Zürich started in the group stages.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

This is a useful page to see what each places gets you - https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/General/02/58/61/42/2586142_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Remember, it is all set to change with the new Europa League 2 coming in.

If that is the change then the Europa League is just going to end up the lesser teams of big countries. It doesn't seem right though, only 20 teams would start in the Europa League. 

• 2 months later...