Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 10 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

With Celtic's win in Italy, we've already bettered last season's score making it the best season in Europe for Scottish clubs since 2007-08. We've still got five group games for Celtic and Rangers (combined) to go, with Celtic already guaranteed a knockout stage place.

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Are there any bonus points for getting out the group in the Europa League?

I seem to remember there are some bonus points for that tournament, but it could be that you need to win one of the knock-out rounds to get them.

No don't think bonus points start in the Europa League until the quarters

1 hour ago, infamous said:

Good to see, still appalling how low we are ranked but glad to have a good season in Europe for once. 

How is it appalling? Scotland is around the 25th biggest country in Europe by population, surely to be up around 15th, 16th isn't so bad? I know there are a lot of other factors, but appalling it is not. Some folk need to get real in what they expect. 

20 minutes ago, saintydave said:

How is it appalling? Scotland is around the 25th biggest country in Europe by population, surely to be up around 15th, 16th isn't so bad? I know there are a lot of other factors, but appalling it is not. Some folk need to get real in what they expect. 

Maybe too harsh there true haha. I am calling it appalling mainly because of the previous season still dragging our ranking down.I remember being top 10 at one point. Half our national team is competing in this league. If the SPFL improves our NT is likely to improve etc. 

We have a lot going for us, location, EPL eyes always on our league, Celtic and Rangers are well known major clubs but we are behind Cyprus who has a population of 1 million, Denmark who has the same population as us and achieved far more in football than us. Croatia were regularly sitting above us with a smaller population and their NT is far ahead of us. That's mainly my point but yeah probably a little too harsh. 

Over the past 10 years the amount of times I have seen our clubs knocked out by the 3rd/4th best sides from the likes of Luxembourg, Armenia, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and so on is crazy. Guess that is why I find it appalling, 

This season alone we are the 5th best performing league in Europe (This will drop as the season progress' but great to see)

2020-5th
2019 - 10th
2018 - 23rd
2017 - 19th
2016 - 27th 
2015 - 21st

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2020.html

After last night Scotland up to 16th - Cyprus up to 15th 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, Duncan Blackheart said:

If we finish 15th, we get 2 clubs into the “champions” league and another club in the Europa league. I think!

Looking at the link I think this might be right. 13th place currently has 5 teams, and Switzerland and Greece look like they were given 5 teams but now dropping to 20th and 17th, presumably they started the season 14th and 15th.

Cyprus are within touching distance and have only 1 team left in Europe. Unfortunately APOEL Nicosia have a very kind group draw and I would expect them to progress. Rangers in a strong position but still not job done for 2 teams in the knockouts - which would be the first time since 2007 we've had 2 teams in Europe past Christmas btw

Looking at the countries around us -

13. Czech Rep

• Slavia Prague have Inter Milan (H) and Dortmund (A) in the CL.  They really need to beat Inter to drop into the Europa League but I doubt they will pick up many more points.

14. Denmark

• Copenhagen have Malmo (H) and Kyiv (A) in the EL. Currently top but probably have the toughest fixtures left of the 3 teams going for a top 2 position.

15. Cyprus

• APOEL have Sevilla (H) and Dudelange (A) in the EL.  I'd expect them to get through but it will be close.

16. Scotland

• Celtic have Rennes (H) and Cluj (A) and are already through in the EL.  Hopefully they will look to top the group rather than see the last two games as meaningless.
  • Rangers Feyenoord (A) and Young Boys (H) in the EL in what is probably the most competitive group.  Winning the next match would put them through.  

17. Greece

• Olympiacos have Spurs (A) and Red Star Belgrade (H) in the CL.  Currently bottom with the match against Red Star key to finishing 3rd.

18. Croatia

• Dinamo Zagreb have Man City (H) and Atalanta (A) in the CL.  They are unlikely to be eliminated and should finish at least 3rd but 2nd still a strong possibility.

19. Serbia

• Red Star Belgrade have Bayern Munich (H) and Olympiacos (A) in the CL.  Currently 3rd with the match against Olympiacos key to finishing 3rd.
  • Partizan have AZ (A) and Astana (H) in the EL.  Currently 3rd, 4 points behind 2nd.  Unlikely to reach the next round.

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Would 15th see 2 teams in the champions league qualifiers next season then?

Season after next. Would also mean the 3rd placed team (or SC winners potentially) would enter in EL QR3 and only need to win one tie total to get guaranteed UEFA Conference group stage football.

Edited by Dapo Mabude

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Looking at the countries around us -

13. Czech Rep

• Slavia Prague have Inter Milan (H) and Dortmund (A) in the CL.  They really need to beat Inter to drop into the Europa League but I doubt they will pick up many more points.

14. Denmark

• Copenhagen have Malmo (H) and Kyiv (A) in the EL. Currently top but probably have the toughest fixtures left of the 3 teams going for a top 2 position.

15. Cyprus

• APOEL have Sevilla (H) and Dudelange (A) in the EL.  I'd expect them to get through but it will be close.

16. Scotland

• Celtic have Rennes (H) and Cluj (A) and are already through in the EL.  Hopefully they will look to top the group rather than see the last two games as meaningless.
  • Rangers Feyenoord (A) and Young Boys (H) in the EL in what is probably the most competitive group.  Winning the next match would put them through.  

17. Greece

• Olympiacos have Spurs (A) and Red Star Belgrade (H) in the CL.  Currently bottom with the match against Red Star key to finishing 3rd.

18. Croatia

• Dinamo Zagreb have Man City (H) and Atalanta (A) in the CL.  They are unlikely to be eliminated and should finish at least 3rd but 2nd still a strong possibility.

19. Serbia

• Red Star Belgrade have Bayern Munich (H) and Olympiacos (A) in the CL.  Currently 3rd with the match against Olympiacos key to finishing 3rd.
  • Partizan have AZ (A) and Astana (H) in the EL.  Currently 3rd, 4 points behind 2nd.  Unlikely to reach the next round.

Great work with this.

I'll be reciting it in pub later on !

On 11/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, XB52 said:

As things stand we would be ranked 14th next season so 5 teams in europe, with two of them in the CL

We are currently ranked 16th which would mean things stay as they are for the - 4 teams, 1 in the CL.  If we can get to 15th or above then we would have the extra CL place for the 2021/22 season.  

I think you are looking at our current position for next seasons rankings (takes away the 15/16 season points but doesn't include the rest of this season and the points we would gain next season).  14th is a much better starting position than 26th, which was the lowest we fell to recently.

The season after, we'd be set for 10th and then 8th the year after that but it is highly unlikely we'd finish a season in those sort of places unless other teams start reaching the group stages and performing well.  

On 11/11/2019 at 12:18 AM, PASTA Mick said:

We are currently ranked 16th which would mean things stay as they are for the - 4 teams, 1 in the CL.  If we can get to 15th or above then we would have the extra CL place for the 2021/22 season.  

I think you are looking at our current position for next seasons rankings (takes away the 15/16 season points but doesn't include the rest of this season and the points we would gain next season).  14th is a much better starting position than 26th, which was the lowest we fell to recently.

The season after, we'd be set for 10th and then 8th the year after that but it is highly unlikely we'd finish a season in those sort of places unless other teams start reaching the group stages and performing well.  

You're right I was looking at our current position, that's why I said as things stand. Going by the countries either side of us it's looking like we will not be any low er than 14th come the start of next season, could even be higher

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Slavia Prague out. 2 more wins will get us above the Czech Republic, who now have no teams left in the compeition

I can't see Celtic winning tomorrow.  I imagine we will play a weakened team against a team that need to win at a venue our strongest team already lost at this season.

rangers winning will give us a great chance because that would mean 4 games to get 1 win.  

9 hours ago, dipped flake said:

We are already above them for next season

That's for the start of the next campaign (To determine the coefficient for 22/23). We start in 13th I believe and we actually have a small chance of making 11th that year (group stage for champions). Turkey have done poorly this year and most of their teams could be out tomorrow, while rangers and Celtic could both be through. If both could get to the second knockout round, we could set ourselves up great for a crack at 11th next year.

For this season (to determine the coefficient for 21/22) we are behind Czech Republic by just under 1 point (2 wins). With Celtic already through and rangers in a great position to qualify, I'm quietly confident we'll catch thrm. Getting to 14th means 1 less qualifying round for the champions and Scottish cup winners