Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

18 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

With Cluj winning last night it has certainly thrown the cat amongst the pigeons in Celtics group. 

If we can get anything against Young Boys we'll be in a decent position. 

I think our group will have a lot of home wins so our point last night could be vital.  Two homes matches coming up and we need to aim for 6 points, 4 wouldn't be too bad.

Anything against Young Boys would be a good result IMO.  Porto away will be tricky but Gerrard does seem to be getting things right in Europe. 

48 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think our group will have a lot of home wins so our point last night could be vital.  Two homes matches coming up and we need to aim for 6 points, 4 wouldn't be too bad.

Anything against Young Boys would be a good result IMO.  Porto away will be tricky but Gerrard does seem to be getting things right in Europe. 

In Europe we're not the favourites and teams come out to play against us. Domestically we aren't good enough to break the packed defences down. 

Think you're right about Celtic group but I think all 4 teams are on a similar level. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:25 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

In Europe we're not the favourites and teams come out to play against us. Domestically we aren't good enough to break the packed defences down. 

Think you're right about Celtic group but I think all 4 teams are on a similar level. 

I would say weren't good enough, rather than aren't good enough.  Everyone has parked the bus this year so far except Celtic and Hibs.  Hibs showed why teams maybe should, as much as it pains me to say that, because it makes for shite viewing.

4 hours ago, Emoji said:

I would say weren't good enough, rather than aren't good enough.  Everyone has parked the bus this year so far except Celtic and Hibs.  Hibs showed why teams maybe should, as much as it pains me to say that, because it makes for shite viewing.

Think you're probably right with that, to be fair. We have been able to break down all of the defenses barring Celtic so far. 

On 9/23/2019 at 7:01 AM, Emoji said:

Aye, God forbid teams that cost the same as two bags of Space Raiders and a Kwenchy Cup don’t open up into total football Holland 70’s style. 🙄

On 9/20/2019 at 1:25 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

On 9/23/2019 at 1:01 PM, Emoji said:

On 9/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

Think you're probably right with that, to be fair. We have been able to break down all of the defenses barring Celtic so far. 

46 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Aye, God forbid teams that cost the same as two bags of Space Raiders and a Kwenchy Cup don’t open up into total football Holland 70’s style. 🙄

I wouldn’t feel too special.

Teams regularly come to fir park and park the bus.

I think Partick Thistle hold the record for starting the time-wasting/shitehousing at 14 minutes into a match. Hamilton a close 2nd at 18 minutes.

I’m sure Neil Alexander was getting booked for time wasting every other week in league one and two, holding on to 2-1 leads against Clyde and Annan. 😂

I’d bring “multi ball” into the spfl tomorrow.

9 hours ago, WCTA said:

Did you actually read his post? Where does he criticise teams for parking the bus? 

He actually says its the right tactics despite it being dull to watch. 

Rumours going about on Twitter that the Europa league will be for the top 15 nations from 2021, with the rest going into the europa conference league, which will run alongside the europa league on the Thursday and winners get a spot in europa the following season. 

Under their heading about UEFA taking decisions

The committee discussed a report which studied the impact of the revenues raised by the top five leagues from the other 50 countries in Europe on competitive balance in the game. The report demonstrates that, in the absence of any solidarity payments going back into the 50 markets, the money taken by the top five leagues is a major contributor to the erosion of competitive balance across Europe.

Nuthin' done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Not that far off 15th. Would still need some good results, probably including a Rangers win v young boys, but things are looking up.

.675 off Greece

.625 off Cyprus

.125 off Serbia

Level with Croatia

Olympiacos are away to Bayern

APOEL at home to Qarabag

Partizan away to Man Utd, Red Star at home to Spurs

Zagreb at home to Shaktar

Another good night from Rangers and Celtic in 2 weeks and we could be 15th.

15th this season is possible but tricky, because Olympiacos and Red Star play each other in the Champions League at least one will get points and one is guaranteed to advance to the Europa League knock-out stages.

Edited by PASTA Mick

5 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Am I the only one that really doesn’t give a Fuck about the coefficient ? I say this as a fan of a wee club thats not been in Europe for years and wont be anytime soon. A position almost all ‘other’ clubs are in 🤷‍♂️ 

You're definitely not alone. I don't give a shit about it, gaining more CL spots or an automatic spot only damages our domestic game.

8 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Not that far off 15th. Would still need some good results, probably including a Rangers win v young boys, but things are looking up.

So what are the benefits of getting to 15th? Extra CL/EL spots? Starting later in European competition? Both??

8 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Am I the only one that really doesn’t give a Fuck about the coefficient ? I say this as a fan of a wee club thats not been in Europe for years and wont be anytime soon. A position almost all ‘other’ clubs are in 🤷‍♂️ 

Kinda with you but would be nice to see our clubs playing at the business end of these competitions. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:44 AM, shaggycoo said:

So what are the benefits of getting to 15th? Extra CL/EL spots? Starting later in European competition? Both??

Kinda with you but would be nice to see our clubs playing at the business end of these competitions. 

If we finish 15th, we get 2 clubs into the “champions” league and another club in the Europa league. I think!

Also means our wins are worth slightly less, as the points available are divisible by 5, not 4. Our teams also enter Europe at a later stage, so while we may pick up fewer easier points, we may get another team in the Europa group stage.

It also means that at the end of next season we don’t get most of our teams stuck in the all-new Eurodiddy League.

I suppose the upshot of it all is that Aberdeen and Kilmarnock’s European adventures are slightly  less likely to end at Burnley or Connah’s Quay Wetherspoons.

• 2 weeks later...