Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

20 minutes ago, slasher said:

He also says 'they' about 3 times so I'd guess he's not a Celtic fan just someone giving an opinion 🙄

I’m struggling to see where I once referred to him as a Celtic fan? 

Just someone giving an opinion, get back in your box now, there’s a good boy 👍🏽

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’m struggling to see where I once referred to him as a Celtic fan? 

Just someone giving an opinion, get back in your box now, there’s a good boy 👍🏽

You inferred Celtic /Celtic fans were blaming everyone else for their failure. Maybe you should proof read your angry little rants before posting. Or maybe your still hurting from having been put back in your own box by the mighty St. Mirren at the weekend 😂

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

You inferred Celtic /Celtic fans were blaming everyone else for their failure. Maybe you should proof read your angry little rants before posting. Or maybe your still hurting from having been put back in your own box by the mighty St. Mirren at the weekend 😂

In the whole comment, I mentioned the word “Celtic” once, don’t think I said fans, you or anything along those lines, you’ve simply made that up, why, is anyone’s guess  

You’re starting to look rather silly now. I’d stop before you go into full stupid mode. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Wtf u on about? Clyde1998 doesn't read like a Celtic fan to me and no Celtic fan I know is blaming anyone bar ourselves here! 🙄

They’ve pinched other teams best players for peanuts for years, if they’d offered real value for McGinn & McKenna they would be a lot better now. They demand big money for their own players but low ball teams in Scotland, nobody to blame but their arrogant selves 😱

Edited by RDFH64

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

In the whole comment, I mentioned the word “Celtic” once, don’t think I said fans, you or anything along those lines, you’ve simply made that up, why, is anyone’s guess  

You’re starting to look rather silly now. I’d stop before you go into full stupid mode. 

Ahh backtracking now 👍

5 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

They’ve pinched other teams best players for peanuts for years, if they’d offered real value for McGinn & McKenna they would be a lot better now. They demand big money for their own players but low ball teams in Scotland, nobody to blame but their arrogant selves 😱

As I've said, as did PASTA Mick and Moxy has as well, no one is blaming anyone else bar ourselves 👍

Edited by slasher

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Ahh backtracking now 👍

As I've said, as did PASTA Mick and Moxy has as well, no one is blaming anyone else bar ourselves 👍

Where have I backtracked? If you can show where I mentioned Clyde being a Celtic fan, that would be good 👍🏽

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Nonsense, you’re suggesting that because Celtic can spend £8-9,000,000 on players and scoop up other teams players when there’s even a hint of a threat, it’s everyone else’s fault?

Theyre big fish in a small pond and can be as arrogant as THEY want by spending all this money, but as soon as THEY can’t handle the heat, THEY find someone else to blame. 

It’s pathetic. 

Who are they? 

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

Who are they? 

The fans on Twitter, the people like Clyde seems to sound like, yet apparently not a Celtic fan. The usual, you know the type, sit behind a keyboard and blame the world. 

I’m still waiting to see where I called Clyde one, as youve kindly pointed out, I said “they” not “you”, so when you’re ready to show me, I’ll easily retract any misunderstandings, but you can’t, as you made it up and are now clutching at straws between they and you  

Good effort though 👍🏽

20 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

The fans on Twitter, the people like Clyde seems to sound like, yet apparently not a Celtic fan. The usual, you know the type, sit behind a keyboard and blame the world. 

I’m still waiting to see where I called Clyde one, as youve kindly pointed out, I said “they” not “you”, so when you’re ready to show me, I’ll easily retract any misunderstandings, but you can’t, as you made it up and are now clutching at straws between they and you  

Good effort though 👍🏽

:lol:

The sad reality is that until our sides stop crashing out against distinctly average teams we will not progress further than we have done in the coefficient.

Petrescu was right going into the Celtic tie (although probably much of his comments were gamesmanship) that Cluj shouldn't have been a match for Celtic in terms of the resources they have available.

But in reality the countries in the 4 or 5 places ahead of us and all below us have similar and probably even less resource available to them than Scottish clubs in terms of finances and facilities, yet we still continue to struggle.

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

You are right. It is a shambles.

This was always likely when we appointed Lennon. 

Was watching the Scottish Cup final last season in the pub, full of Celtic fans and to be honest the full time reaction was mostly relief before the celebrations properly kicked in, as we all knew Hearts should’ve (or at least could’ve) been lifting the trophy. Then the news came through that Lennon was appointed and that killed the celebrations stone dead (well, almost). But the fact that the edge was taken off the celebrations and the air of disappointment was palpable.

Last night was the manifestation of what everyone that day knew (consciously or subconsciously) what was going to happen.

The only people to blame for this is Celtic FC. The board, the manager and yes the players too. Even with a shambolic and bizarre team selection they ought still have had the nous and ability to see that game out having had two chances to do so.

But both times we took the lead, you could just tell we’d ship another goal and it would probably end in a draw. I’ll give us the benefit of the doubt for the fourth goal as we had no option but to pile forward and leave gaps at the back - it was a risk-free gamble as the loss of that goal mattered not a jot, but to concede the other three was criminal and just reeked of complacency. Seemed that they got in front and thought job done, let’s get out of here.

Lennon has to shoulder the majority of the blame though, which in turn makes Lawwell and the rest of the penny pinching board culpable. They appointed him.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The lack of competition didnt cause celtic to stagnate, they did that to themselves. 

Absolutely, no arguments from me on that score

5 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Not sure it would. I there was a sniff of Celtic not winning the league though he'll be punted. 

In my view there is more than just a sniff of that right now. It’s a distinct possibility even though Celtic are probably still favourites.

33 minutes ago, IainMore said:

Celtic out of Europe afore that buffoon Johnson but no surprised considering Celtic like the Rangers is business and no a fitba team and selling Tierney didnae help thief cause. 

I'm intrigued to see how that read before you edited it! 

18 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Nonsense, you’re suggesting that because Celtic can spend £8-9,000,000 on players and scoop up other teams players when there’s even a hint of a threat, it’s everyone else’s fault?

Theyre big fish in a small pond and can be as arrogant as they want by spending all this money, but as soon as they can’t handle the heat, they find someone else to blame. 

It’s pathetic. 

I'm not (attempting to) suggesting it's anyone else's fault other than themselves, but if they can get away with a poor defence (in European terms) in domestic matches, they are able to overlook their defence in a way they wouldn't be able to if they were in a serious battle domestically. If their defence is being shown up in only one or two games a season, which will most likely be in Europe, they can overlook that as being an abnormally poor game, when it's a fundamental problem.

I'm not attempting to pass the blame away from Celtic, as it is their fault for not bringing in good defensive players, I'm trying to contextualise why they haven't solved a problem that's been with them for years. I think I'm right in saying that they played Callum McGregor at left-back ahead of their new signing on Tuesday - which makes you wonder about the manager (as others have mentioned) and about the quality of player they're signing if McGregor - arguably their best midfielder - is preferred at left-back to him. It can only be because they think they can achieve what they did last season despite another dip in quality.

Edited by Clyde1998

7 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'm not (attempting to) suggesting it's anyone else's fault other than themselves, but if they can get away with a poor defence (in European terms) in domestic matches, they are able to overlook their defence in a way they wouldn't be able to if they were in a serious battle domestically. If their defence is being shown up in only one or two games a season, which will most likely be in Europe, they can overlook that as being an abnormally poor game, when it's a fundamental problem.

I'm not attempting to pass the blame away from Celtic, as it is their fault for not bringing in good defensive players, I'm trying to contextualise why they haven't solved a problem that's been with them for years. I think I'm right in saying that they played Callum McGregor at left-back ahead of their new signing on Tuesday - which makes you wonder about the manager (as others have mentioned) and about the quality of player they're signing if McGregor - arguably their best midfielder - is preferred at left-back to him. It can only be because they think they can achieve what they did last season despite another dip in quality.

They can achieve what they did for the last 3 seasons by paying multi million pounds for players. Their striker costs more than 10 teams have spent in probably the last 15 years. 

No one else can be blamed because they think they’re getting great players, but turn out to be just as shite as everyone else when they come up against higher calibre teams. 

We heard Rodgers complaining about the financial gap between PSG and themselves and it was unfair, they can go fuck themselves. 

Now that I am at a PC and not dawdling with my mobile phone I will say what I meant to say. It is basically Celtics own fault as they are run on a must make  a huge profit from selling players at any cost model or so it seems to me. It is not something that is going to get them success in Europe. There is also something ironic here though and that is that every single team in the heavily TV subsidised English Premiership for one makes huge losses and have debts that they will likely never pay off.  They are the perfect bank customers - heavily and perpetually in debt but have high cash turnovers. Why is their one rule for English teams for instance and another for ahem Scottish teams? 

P.S Is Gerard's Sevco paying their taxes?

13 minutes ago, IainMore said:

Now that I am at a PC and not dawdling with my mobile phone I will say what I meant to say. It is basically Celtics own fault as they are run on a must make  a huge profit from selling players at any cost model or so it seems to me. It is not something that is going to get them success in Europe. There is also something ironic here though and that is that every single team in the heavily TV subsidised English Premiership for one makes huge losses and have debts that they will likely never pay off.  They are the perfect bank customers - heavily and perpetually in debt but have high cash turnovers. Why is their one rule for English teams for instance and another for ahem Scottish teams? 

P.S Is Gerard's Sevco paying their taxes?

I still cant make sense of this 😜😉

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

@Clyde1998

I assume that's the coefficient fucked 😂😂😂

As long as both Celtic and Rangers make it to the group stages, we might be able to salvage something from this season. Having two teams in the group stages will probably mean our coefficient will be better than any season since 2007-08 (other than last season) before that round starts - any progress in the coefficient is good, but it reduces the chance of us reaching the top fifteen by the end of next season - the first year of qualification for the Europa League 2.

We've still earned more points than any other country so far this season and only Switzerland and Greece (of the countries around us) have more than two teams left in Europe. Notably, the Czech Republic (13th) and Denmark (14th) only have one team left - both could realistically be caught next season.

We're not completely screw yet. 🤣

On 8/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, RDFH64 said:

Name them please.

If they have been doing it for years I would imagine there is a long list.