Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

No, the losers of this round go into the play-off for the Europa League. In this instance, the loser between Celtic and Cluj play either the Swedish champions or some team from Moldova. The losers of the Champions League play off go into the Europa League group stages.

It's been like this for quite some time.

They all still get parachuted in to the Europa though, just at different stages depending on when they drop out of the CL?

It's been a while since I've had to worry about my team getting papped out of the CL so you can understand why I'm not fully briefed on the intricacies of the rules! :wink2:

4 hours ago, Mox said:

I thought we done ok and truthfully thought the game was there for the taking in the second half if we had a bit more belief.

We did okay but the left-hand side was very poor.

Bolingoli-Mbombo was dreadful.  I hope he gets better but he's already looking like a massive waste of money.

Morgan isn't good enough for Celtic.  He spent more time on the floor than on the ball.

To go from Tierney/Sinclair to Bolingoli/Morgan is scary.

One positive was the new right-back looked good.  Forrest was decent again too. 

4 hours ago, Mox said:

I thought we done ok and truthfully thought the game was there for the taking in the second half if we had a bit more belief.

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, agreed. We seemed happy to just play out the draw and take it back to Glasgow. After we equalised I never felt we were in any real danger.

So did I. I thought it was relatively comfortably game and bar their breakaway and one other chance in the first half there was little threat. I definitely felt the game was there for the winning.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

What a farce that tournament is.  So the losers of this round, the next round and 3rd place in the group stages all get parachuted in to the Europa?  Fucking ridiculous.

Teams have dropped into it all through the Champions League qualifying rounds as "lucky losers". Its a farce of a tournament. It would have far more credibility if it was just who qualified for it at the start rather than giving losing CL teams another shot at European football.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

They all still get parachuted in to the Europa though, just at different stages depending on when they drop out of the CL?

It's been a while since I've had to worry about my team getting papped out of the CL so you can understand why I'm not fully briefed on the intricacies of the rules! :wink2:

Aye, that's fair enough :lol: As far as I'm aware the only round that doesn't come with a parachute to the Europa is the 1st round.

39 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We did okay but the left-hand side was very poor.

Bolingoli-Mbombo was dreadful.  I hope he gets better but he's already looking like a massive waste of money.

Morgan isn't good enough for Celtic.  He spent more time on the floor than on the ball.

To go from Tierney/Sinclair to Bolingoli/Morgan is scary.

One positive was the new right-back looked good.  Forrest was decent again too. 

Aye, the whole left hand side was grim to watch. I was actually longing for Johnny Hayes! Completely night and day from our right hand side.

6 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, that's fair enough :lol: As far as I'm aware the only round that doesn't come with a parachute to the Europa is the 1st round.

Even the first round (and preliminary round!) CL losers get parachuted in. Crazy!

It's about to get worse when Europa League 2 starts in a couple of years. Will then be able to parachute down through the whole system...

Aberdeen looking like they are heading out then barring a great result next week.

Tuesday was probably very winnable for Celtic but you'd be surprised if Cluj can force any kind of score draw or better at Parkhead.

(Should be) Job done for Rangers with 4 away goals and a 2 goal lead. Realistically would need to lose by 3 goals at Ibrox to go out. Don't see it, this Midtyland team clearly isn't what it used to be in previous seasons.

You can see when it gets to these rounds though that to move up the next 3 or so places in the coefficient table we'd probably need more than just Rangers and Celtic to be qualifying for the group stages of either tournament.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aberdeen looking like they are heading out then barring a great result next week.

Tuesday was probably very winnable for Celtic but you'd be surprised if Cluj can force any kind of score draw or better at Parkhead.

(Should be) Job done for Rangers with 4 away goals and a 2 goal lead. Realistically would need to lose by 3 goals at Ibrox to go out. Don't see it, this Midtyland team clearly isn't what it used to be in previous seasons.

You can see when it gets to these rounds though that to move up the next 3 or so places in the coefficient table we'd probably need more than just Rangers and Celtic to be qualifying for the group stages of either tournament.

Just looking at the countries above us -

18th - Serbia - 2 of 4 teams left.  Red Star drew with Copenhagen in the CL, and but Partizan won 3-1 in the EL.  I'd predict both these teams will be in the EL group stages.

17th - Croatia - 2 of 4 teams left.  Dinamo Zagreb drew with Ferencváros.  Rijeka beating Aberdeen was a double blow for us - we could do with Aberdeen getting a win at least next week.  I think they'll have 1 team in the CL group.

16th - Greece - 5 of 5 teams left.  Greece will pull away from us and are likely to have 3 or 4 teams in the group stages.

15th - Cyprus - 3 of 4 teams left - They are in a similar position to us at the moment and will probably have 2 teams in the group stages.

14th - Denmark - 3 of 4 teams left - These should drop a bit.  I think they'll have 1 team in the EL group stages at best. 

13th - Czech Rep - 4 of 5 teams left - 3 teams in the EL are either drawing or losing.  They are too far ahead to catch this season but a few teams going out this round might help for future years. 

We can help ourselves -

• Celtic have the chance to knock a Czech team out.
  • Rangers have the chance to knock out a Danish and possibly a Greek side.
  • If Aberdeen can turn thing around against the Croatian side, that would make a big difference!

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

18th - Serbia - 2 of 4 teams left.  Red Star drew with Copenhagen in the CL, and but Partizan won 3-1 in the EL.  I'd predict both these teams will be in the EL group stages.

17th - Croatia - 2 of 4 teams left.  Dinamo Zagreb drew with Ferencváros.  Rijeka beating Aberdeen was a double blow for us - we could do with Aberdeen getting a win at least next week.  I think they'll have 1 team in the CL group.

16th - Greece - 5 of 5 teams left.  Greece will pull away from us and are likely to have 3 or 4 teams in the group stages.

15th - Cyprus - 3 of 4 teams left - They are in a similar position to us at the moment and will probably have 2 teams in the group stages.

14th - Denmark - 3 of 4 teams left - These should drop a bit.  I think they'll have 1 team in the EL group stages at best. 

13th - Czech Rep - 4 of 5 teams left - 3 teams in the EL are either drawing or losing.  They are too far ahead to catch this season but a few teams going out this round might help for future years. 

We can help ourselves -

• If Aberdeen can turn thing around against the Croatian side, that would make a big difference!

Good work, interesting stuff Keep it up . I enjoy these.. 👍

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye - 1-0 would've been recoverable, but 2-0 kills this tie. Any win at Pittodrie would be good for us though and would cancel out the defeat, in coefficient terms.

Celtic, being at home, should be getting through to the play-off round now. 

Rangers winning as comfortably as they did means they are all but in the next round. Hopefully they can get a win at Ibrox in the second leg.

Yeah. To move up a number of places, this season at least, we'd either need three teams in the group stages, or both Rangers and Celtic to progress a round or two in the EL knockout stages.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

We can help ourselves -

Yeah I think it's more than realistic to expect we can make a run at Croatia and Serbia this season. The others probably unrealistic even for the foreseeable seasons unless we buck the trend of early exits for all but 2 of our clubs.

10 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - 1-0 would've been recoverable, but 2-0 kills this tie. Any win at Pittodrie would be good for us though and would cancel out the defeat, in coefficient terms.

Celtic, being at home, should be getting through to the play-off round now. 

Rangers winning as comfortably as they did means they are all but in the next round. Hopefully they can get a win at Ibrox in the second leg.

Yeah. To move up a number of places, this season at least, we'd either need three teams in the group stages, or both Rangers and Celtic to progress a round or two in the EL knockout stages.

In my head Clyde1998 is a bully wee fan of a certain vintage who enjoys fine wines and the occasional cigar. Don't shatter my illusions! 

9 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Not much you can do when the champions are going into a home fixture with an away goal then go and ship 4. 

Embarrassing state of affairs this countries game is in, Celtic should be ashamed of themselves. 

You are right. It is a shambles.

This was always likely when we appointed Lennon. 

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Not much you can do when the champions are going into a home fixture with an away goal then go and ship 4. 

Embarrassing state of affairs this countries game is in, Celtic should be ashamed of themselves. 

It's poor. Was thinking last night that Celtic's defence has been a serious problem for quite a while, they've just been able to get away with it domestically - in Europe, the lack of quality there really shows. The lack of competition in the league has allowed Celtic to stagnate (at best), which has hindered their European potential. Last season they got knocked out at the same stage, but to a much better side than they did this season, and the season before they were in the group stages. Clear regression in Europe, while Rangers are starting to reel them in domestically.

Celtic shouldn't be losing games like that at home with the side they have. At least they drop into the Europa League, where they'll have a much better chance of winning games than in the Champions League.

19 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

It's poor. Was thinking last night that Celtic's defence has been a serious problem for quite a while, they've just been able to get away with it domestically - in Europe, the lack of quality there really shows. The lack of competition in the league has allowed Celtic to stagnate (at best), which has hindered their European potential. Last season they got knocked out at the same stage, but to a much better side than they did this season, and the season before they were in the group stages. Clear regression in Europe, while Rangers are starting to reel them in domestically.

Celtic shouldn't be losing games like that at home with the side they have. At least they drop into the Europa League, where they'll have a much better chance of winning games than in the Champions League.

The lack of competition didnt cause celtic to stagnate, they did that to themselves. 

35 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

It looks like Celtic will play AIK Stockholm. Champions last season and 1 pt off the top this season. I don't think Celtic will progress to the Europa Group stages. 

If that led to Lennon getting the sack I'd take that in a heartbeat 

52 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The lack of competition didnt cause celtic to stagnate, they did that to themselves. 

100% correct. 

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

It looks like Celtic will play AIK Stockholm. Champions last season and 1 pt off the top this season. I don't think Celtic will progress to the Europa Group stages. 

Might be the best thing that could happen. That squad even with a couple of additions won't cope with Sunday /Thursday football till Christmas. 

What happened last night was our cheapskate appointment of Lennon, the lack of ambition and complacency that runs through our boardroom like a cancer coming home to roost. 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Nonsense, you’re suggesting that because Celtic can spend £8-9,000,000 on players and scoop up other teams players when there’s even a hint of a threat, it’s everyone else’s fault?

Theyre big fish in a small pond and can be as arrogant as they want by spending all this money, but as soon as they can’t handle the heat, they find someone else to blame. 

It’s pathetic. 

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Nonsense, you’re suggesting that because Celtic can spend £8-9,000,000 on players and scoop up other teams players when there’s even a hint of a threat, it’s everyone else’s fault?

Theyre big fish in a small pond and can be as arrogant as they want by spending all this money, but as soon as they can’t handle the heat, they find someone else to blame. 

It’s pathetic. 

Wtf u on about? Clyde1998 doesn't read like a Celtic fan to me and no Celtic fan I know is blaming anyone bar ourselves here! 🙄

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

Wtf u on about? Clyde1998 doesn't read like a Celtic fan to me and no Celtic fan I know is blaming anyone bar ourselves here! 🙄

The lack of competition has allowed Celtic to stagnate. 

Sounds to me like it’s everyone else’s fault. 

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

The lack of competition has allowed Celtic to stagnate. 

Sounds to me like it’s everyone else’s fault. 

He also says 'they' about 3 times so I'd guess he's not a Celtic fan just someone giving an opinion 🙄