Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

Very good result considering the first leg performance, the new signings along with cosgrove and Ferguson stole the show. I have a feeling Ferguson will be one of the stand outs in Scotland this season.

i hate the the fact reality sets in when you realise there’s still two more matches including a playoff against CL drop outs if we get there. 

7 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

They drew whilst Aberdeen and Celtic won.

My tonight was to suggest  that they aren't just Scotland's shame based on last night's result. They are a permanent stain on Scotland. A national embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Are macy and scotty the same?

Who knows? There's so many people who appear to either have multiple accounts or are serial offenders. I've given up trying to work them out. 

I've updated my spreadsheet following this week's fixtures: http://bit.ly/2yzwp8m

Notably, Croatia and Serbia are both down to two teams (one in each competition), with Rijeka, obviously, playing Aberdeen next. We remain the nation with the most points in Europe so far this season - matching our 2015-16 tally already.

The next round could go either way for us - both Europa League ties are winnable, IMO, with the added benefit of both Aberdeen and Rangers having their home leg second. Both will be unseeded in the play-off round draw (on Monday), but there are a number of beatable seeded sides: Legia Warsaw, Steaua Bucharest and Malmo stand out for me.

Celtic are seeded in the Champions League and will face one of Young Boys, APOEL/Qarabag, Slavia Prague, Maribor/Rosenborg in the play-off round, should they beat Cluj. The latter two being, probably, the best opponents.

That's a cracking set of results for us last night with both Croatian sides failing to win their home legs and looking further ahead the Cypriot team losing to Qarabag.

Not that Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen are guaranteed results this week especially all being away from home but if even one of them could get a win it would be a good step this week.

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Draw was a good result for Celtic considering how poor we played. I fancy us to get through but not sure about getting much further than that. 

Aye - if you can stop Cluj from scoring at Parkhead, you're through. Then you can assess how to beat Slavia Prague, whilst having the Europa League group stages as a backup.

Edited by Clyde1998

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Draw was a good result for Celtic considering how poor we played. I fancy us to get through but not sure about getting much further than that. 

I thought we done ok and truthfully thought the game was there for the taking in the second half if we had a bit more belief.

8 minutes ago, Mox said:

I thought we done ok and truthfully thought the game was there for the taking in the second half if we had a bit more belief.

Aye, agreed. We seemed happy to just play out the draw and take it back to Glasgow. After we equalised I never felt we were in any real danger.

6 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Aye - if you can stop Cluj from scoring at Parkhead, you're through. Then you can assess how to beat Slavia Prague, whilst having the Europa League group stages as a backup.

Is this round not the last "safety net" round before the group stages.  I know the losers of Celtic/Cluj drop in to the Europa so wouldn't have thought the losers of Celtic/Cluj/Slavia would too?

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Is this round not the last "safety net" round before the group stages.  I know the losers of Celtic/Cluj drop in to the Europa so wouldn't have thought the losers of Celtic/Cluj/Slavia would too?

The loser of the CL play off goes directly into the EL group stage.

40 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

The loser of the CL play off goes directly into the EL group stage.

What a farce that tournament is.  So the losers of this round, the next round and 3rd place in the group stages all get parachuted in to the Europa?  Fucking ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

You can feel the rage 😂😂😂😂

If you think my post was in relation to Celtic dropping in it wasn't (I'd prefer Celtic get a longer run in Europe as it might impact them in the league).  It's ridiculous that any team basically has 3 safety nets to get dropped in to another tournament regardless of who it is and makes a mockery of the Europa League.  I'd imagine any reasonably minded football fan would agree.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

What a farce that tournament is.  So the losers of this round, the next round and 3rd place in the group stages all get parachuted in to the Europa?  Fucking ridiculous.

No, the losers of this round go into the play-off for the Europa League. In this instance, the loser between Celtic and Cluj play either the Swedish champions or some team from Moldova. The losers of the Champions League play off go into the Europa League group stages.

It's been like this for quite some time.

Edited by Tartan_McCole