Scotland's UEFA coefficient - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's UEFA coefficient

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

There aren't many teams left as good as the side we played tonight. However, most of the teams we can get will start as favourites.

We badly need a left winger and 2 forwards in January but it's tricky to sign good players that haven't already played in the competition. 

I don't know Mick. You've got Arsenal and Chelsea as well as all the CL rejects. There's quite a few good teams in there now. 

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

That team could win the competition. Extremely good side. 

They were very unlucky not to be in the final last season. Real Sociedad, Borussia Dortmund and Lazio were taken out by them in the knockout stage last time; I'd expect them to be in the latter stages again this season based on what I've seen of them.

20 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Fingers crossed Celtic get drawn to Villareal. Good relationship between the two sets of fans, and they seem to be absolutely pants these days.

That would possibly be the best draw for you guys. Still got some very good individual players, but just not clicking these days.

• 7 months later...

I'm going to be updating this again for the new season - my spreadsheet is here (updated after tonight's - 16 July - matches: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1thIAAcmXqreI529IccUBDJ57FtK4rkgDilAuD0-0itc/edit?usp=sharing

We need 4.000 points to match the 2014-15 season that's dropped off - we're currently at 1.000 points after the opening week of European action for Scottish teams (all four teams winning their first game). During qualifying each win for a Scottish side is worth 0.250 points and a draw is worth 0.125 points.

Realistically, I can't see us moving up the rankings this season - the countries ahead of us are probably too far out of reach for us to catch this year. A few countries who could catch us haven't had all their teams enter Europe yet. What I'm hoping this season is to get a similar result to last season, where we have at least two sides in the group stages and at least one other progressing through a couple of qualifying rounds.

We got 6.750 points last season, which was our best season since 2007-08. If we can get around that over the next few years, we should be comfortably in the realm of the top fifteen nations - where we'd have two Champions League spots and three teams in the Europa League. 6.750 points for a five season period would put us eleventh based on the 2019 final ranking.

7 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'm going to be updating this again for the new season - my spreadsheet is here (updated after tonight's - 16 July - matches: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1thIAAcmXqreI529IccUBDJ57FtK4rkgDilAuD0-0itc/edit?usp=sharing

We need 4.000 points to match the 2014-15 season that's dropped off - we're currently at 1.000 points after the opening week of European action for Scottish teams (all four teams winning their first game). During qualifying each win for a Scottish side is worth 0.250 points and a draw is worth 0.125 points.

Realistically, I can't see us moving up the rankings this season - the countries ahead of us are probably too far out of reach for us to catch this year. A few countries who could catch us haven't had all their teams enter Europe yet. What I'm hoping this season is to get a similar result to last season, where we have at least two sides in the group stages and at least one other progressing through a couple of qualifying rounds.

We got 6.750 points last season, which was our best season since 2007-08. If we can get around that over the next few years, we should be comfortably in the realm of the top fifteen nations - where we'd have two Champions League spots and three teams in the Europa League. 6.750 points for a five season period would put us eleventh based on the 2019 final ranking.

Great information here. Thanks for the work you do on this subject.

11 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I disagree that we can't catch Serbia, Croatia or the Swiss leagues, although we'd need Celtic to reach the CL group stages and 1 or 2 of the others to reach the EL groups. 

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Killie are seeing to it that it doesn't help us that much. 

I thought we were past having embarrassing European results, but Killie have proved me wrong. While Killie did earn us more points than Aberdeen did last season, they faced a much easier team than them. To make matters worse, it probably gives Partizan (Serbia) two very straight forward wins in the next round.

The positives this week is that Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen all won, while Croatia, Serbia and Norway also had a team knocked out of the Europa League.

On paper, Rangers should win both of their next round games (we thought that last time though), Aberdeen probably should too (it's not like a Scottish side ever lost in Georgia...) and Celtic are clear favourites to win both legs of their tie (especially at home).

Celtic will be seeded all the way through to the qualifiers in the Champions League and will be in Pot 3 for the group stages, should they get there. Both Aberdeen and Rangers are unseeded in the EL third qualifying round draw, although either could be seeded in the play-off rounds (that would require them to beat a team that would be seeded themselves in the third qualifying round - Rangers did this last season by beating Maribor).

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, had noticed Celtic were seeded right through.

So they should be able to negotiate their way through. Although they could still get a tricky draw, Greek champions again being about the trickiest...

Hopefully we get a trip to Malta.  Although it would be best to get and beat Red Star Belgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just been reading about the new uefa competition for season 2021-22. 

My understanding is that from that season onwards, uefa coefficient placings will effectively be frozen for 3 or 4 seasons from the end of next season, thereby meaning that the amount of teams a given country gets in each of the 3 trophies is fixed for a wee while. It’s therefore important to be 15th or higher by the end of next season. This looks do-able, as we’re already 16th in next season’s standings, slightly behind Czechia, and ahead of Serbia, Croatia and Greece. 

I think! 

I do love a coefficient discussion. Please could someone who is a bit more clued up tell me if I’m right or hopelessly wrong?!

21 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Have just been reading about the new uefa competition for season 2021-22. 

My understanding is that from that season onwards, uefa coefficient placings will effectively be frozen for 3 or 4 seasons from the end of next season, thereby meaning that the amount of teams a given country gets in each of the 3 trophies is fixed for a wee while. It’s therefore important to be 15th or higher by the end of next season. This looks do-able, as we’re already 16th in next season’s standings, slightly behind Czechia, and ahead of Serbia, Croatia and Greece. 

I think! 

I do love a coefficient discussion. Please could someone who is a bit more clued up tell me if I’m right or hopelessly wrong?

I'll have a look at it.

What I do know is that if Rangers and Aberdeen win their games tomorrow - we'd have already bettered our 2015-16 points (3.000) and would be three (qualifying) wins and a draw away from matching our 2014-15 result (which dropped off at the start of the season). We should be on more points at the end of next season that we currently have should our teams' European form continue.

Countries like the Czechs and Swiss haven't had all their teams enter Europe yet, so it they'll improve their points when they enter - but if we can get two teams in the group stages again we're in a good position to stay ahead of them in next season's rankings. Denmark (14th in next season's rankings) had two of their teams lose their EL first legs, so they might lose two teams this round - leaving them with only two teams left in Europe, with one potentially playing Rangers. From a glance, it may well be realistic for us to be in the top fifteen by the end of next season.

If both Rangers and Aberdeen get through their current ties, I think they've both got winnable ties in the third qualifying round - which even from the point of club seedings will be a benefit from us, as it will hopefully increase the rounds they're both seeded in going forward. All we hope for in the qualifiers is that our sides win as many games and ties as possible to get as many sides as possible in the group stages.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I dont think Aberdeen are seeded if they beat Rejik @Clyde1998

I meant in future seasons, as the further you get in the qualifiers the more points you get - which will increase the chance of being seeded in more rounds next season (for example). But you're right, Aberdeen (and Rangers) won't be seeded in the play-off round this season should you get there.

I think this and next seasons are the ones to make progress. We won’t be 15th by the end of this one, so our points next season will still be divisible by 4. 

If we do get to 15 at the end of next season, we will have an extra team in Europe for the following season which is obviously the end goal, but which might reduce our score by a wee bit if our standard hasn’t improved to beyond getting a team beaten off the likes of crack outfits such as Lokomotiv Llangollen which happened this year.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:09 PM, Duncan Blackheart said:

I think this and next seasons are the ones to make progress. We won’t be 15th by the end of this one, so our points next season will still be divisible by 4. 

If we do get to 15 at the end of next season, we will have an extra team in Europe for the following season which is obviously the end goal, but which might reduce our score by a wee bit if our standard hasn’t improved to beyond getting a team beaten off the likes of crack outfits such as Lokomotiv Llangollen which happened this year.

Has anybody seen or heard from Squirrelhumper? I'm no longer interested in winding him. I just want to make sure that he is OK. 🤔