A Night Out in Luton? - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A Night Out in Luton?

Rich NATA

I'm flying Tel Aviv - Luton (landing early evening) before flying Luton - Glasgow the next morning.

The town looks very close to the airport and I was wondering whether to stay in the centre instead of at the airport.

All I've ever heard about Luton (albeit 20 years ago) was that its was a bit shit.

Anyone any idea of what Luton is like these days and especially for a night out?

Wife was flying into Luton on Tuesday night, and as she was getting in late with the kids, thought I would drive down and we would stay in the Ibis Budget Hotel near Airport.

Family arrived at 11pm, I arrived at 3pm, so went into Luton to get something to eat.... was back at hotel and sitting in room for 3:45pm.......

All the stuff you hear about Luton is still over selling it as its really is that bad! Chinese restaurant on main street was nice, but that is it!

Also Luton Airport, its probably one of the worst UK airports I have had for long lay overs (6 hour I spent there few months ago..... 6 hours in Prestick is  A LOT more appealing!)

You're right about one thing - dead easy to get into town from the airport.

Only been there during the day and no shortage of pubs.

Did notice a couple of nightclubs - think one was called the Velvet something or other but as I said was daytime.

As the game is on a Thursday I assume it will be a weekend night when you are in Luton so there will be somewhere to go.

One thing that shocked me about Luton itself was just how small it is.... did not feel that much bigger than Kilmarnock (but suppose with the M1 effectively splitting it and Dunstable, it appears bigger than it really is on maps).

I would just book a room in the Ibis Budget (its only a 5 minute walk from door to door) and only venture into Luton itself to grab a pint somewhere, but do not expect to spend all that long there, then head back to the hotel.

Airport itself, you have a Burger King, Costa Coffee and a M&S pre-security... and post-security there is not much better (plus there is literary only something like a few dozen seats around the whole airport) with just a Frankie & Benny's (which I got food poisoning from.... last thing I wanted when I had a 2 hour drive at the other end of my journey) and a couple of bars, which I imagine will all be shut come 11pm.

You're only half an hour on the train to King's Cross if you fancied a bigger night out.

That said there are some other towns the way, St. Albans and Harpenden for example or Bedford in the other direction, although I've only passed thru these briefly they are reasonably nice but from the seems of it compared to Luton but absolutely piss all to do. I'm scraping the barrel as far as suggestions go I'm aware.

Luton is a genuine, certified, 100% sh1thole. We went a few years ago; me & the lad to the football, Mrs H & my daughter went shopping. They literally begged us to get them out of there when we met up after & swore they'd never set foot near the place again as long as they lived.

If you have the time & money, you might be better aiming for one of the neighbouring towns (Stevenage, Dunstable, etc.). It's a while since I went to any of those, but my recollection, albeit dated, is they're far better nights out.

The night before flying to Slovenia we went out on the razz.

I got split from our party and got held up at knife/gun point!!!! (He was pointing something that resembled a gun, the other guy havd a knife. Both had scarves over their faces. 

I hadn't long left the pub at the end of pedestrianised bit in the centre.

I was warned by the airport taxi driver not to walk alone in Luton

Lesson learned.

It really is a hellhole.

Stay together and get taxis to hotel!!

F*cking hell - This has been a bit of an education 😀

As we all know, TA opinion on Kaunas is divided...

Whereas TA opinion on Luton appears to be unanimous!

Seemingly, luton has a population of 210'000 and as Catchart Circle said; it will be the weekend.

I can't be the only footsoldier flying Tel Aviv - Luton - Glasgow (?)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure me and a couple of others had a night in Luton before going to Vilnius last year. Sure, it was a bit crappy and all, but we found some bar open until 1am with pints of Amstel for £3.50 so all was not lost. Bar was round the corner from one of those EasyHotels, not far from the station.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

You can get a bus to Hitchin from the airport. Small market town with a good selection of pubs and places to eat. 20 minutes in the bus. St Albans is also a good shout but the station is a bit out of town. Harpenden is probably better in terms of access from the station but it has less to offer. The verdict on Luton has been passed and it has been found guilty of being a shithole. Can't argue with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...