Berra Out for 6 Months - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Berra Out for 6 Months

Brummie Hibs

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d hardly say it’s a crisis. Berra isn’t exactly Paolo Maldini. 

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  He might not be Paulo Maldini but our best centre half by some way.  Our options are terrible.  I would have been tempted to go Berra and Souttar for the club partnership.... Souttar this season has looked better but still a potential bombscare.

hendry...  oh dear... miles away.   McKenna injured... mulgrew?  Maybe need to look at Liam Lindsay but he has not featured so far...

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  He might not be Paulo Maldini but our best centre half by some way.  Our options are terrible.  I would have been tempted to go Berra and Souttar for the club partnership.... Souttar this season has looked better but still a potential bombscare.

hendry...  oh dear... miles away.   McKenna injured... mulgrew?  Maybe need to look at Liam Lindsay but he has not featured so far...

Since Souttar came back from injury last season he has been excellent alongside Berra. Be interesting to see how he fares in Berra’s absence having taken on the armband. 

Still only 21 but seems to have cut out the brain farts that he was prone to in his teens. 

19 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He’s really not that good. I’m not even 100% convinced he’d be a certain starter next month.

Even if McLeish was intending to start Berra (which in fairness he probably was), whoever replaces him won’t be much worse than him. 

Berra is nearly 34. We are going to have to replace him at some stage and this will force McLeish to do it now so it might not be the crisis you suggest. 

I don’t want to be disrespectful to Albania but I’m hoping our defence won’t be challenged too much by them at Hampden. 

McKenna should be back for our away games in October so I’m not overly concerned with Berra’s injury. 

7 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Don't know why people think McLeish was going to start Berra - he wasn't part of Eck's two squads so far, and even though McLeish gave it the whole 'not ruling anyone out', it seemed clear to me that Mulgrew and the younger defenders were his preferences anyway

Well I would seriously question his judgement... our best defender and still wants to play.

I don't think Berra was in line to start anyway.. so not the biggest problem we could have. McKenna getting injured was a bigger deal, but hopefully he'll be back fit by the time the games come around.

Mulgrew, McKenna, Hendry, Hanley and Tierney if needed.
Lindsey's in League One now, but opened with 2 clean sheets at least.
Not see the games, but Bates has played both for Hamburg.
And Devlin hasn't done himself any harm with his performances against Burnley.

So we don't have lots of experience, but we're starting to have a decent number of bodies that might be capable, and that's a better place to be than we were a couple of years ago relying on Greer with no prospects on the horizon.

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Well I would seriously question his judgement... our best defender and still wants to play.

He’s certainly not our best defender. Even best centre half would be pushing it. Our central defence has been like the Keystone Cops at times over the last few years, Berra or no Berra. 

I think we’ll manage ok without him.

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s certainly not our best defender. Even best centre half would be pushing it. Our central defence has been like the Keystone Cops at times over the last few years, Berra or no Berra. 

I think we’ll manage ok without him.

I should have said centre half...   aye our defending has been terrible because we don’t have any good centre halfs.  Berra bes5 of a bad bunch.