2001 A Space Odyssey ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2001 A Space Odyssey ?

Okay - Just watched this movie for the first time - I understand the beginning, basically the dawn of man adapting to our environment and finding bones & stone to use as tools / weapons, the said early humans (ape like) wake up one morning and find this monolith standing in front of them - the film jumps forward to present day and the space age, then the film goes weird (totally weird) now I understand the movie was made in the late 60's - but could someone try explain in pretty simple terms the story / meaning to this bizzare movie ??

Thanks in advanceĀ :lol:

Been over 30 years since I read the book but IIRC at the end of the story Dave Bowman the astronaut is taken by the monolith through the next evolutionary stage and becomes a "star child".

One of the best films of all time, really has to be seen on the big screen though. There's an excellent book just come out on the making of the movie to celebrate its 50th anniversary. Kubrick made great films but was an absolute nutter!

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2018/04/03/space-odyssey/

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Been over 30 years since I read the book but IIRC at the end of the story Dave Bowman the astronaut is taken by the monolith through the next evolutionary stage and becomes a "star child".

One of the best films of all time, really has to be seen on the big screen though. There's an excellent book just come out on the making of the movie to celebrate its 50th anniversary. Kubrick made great films but was an absolute nutter!

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2018/04/03/space-odyssey/

Ā 

Cheers TP - will have a read !!

I predict Kimba will post shortly that it was all a lot of masonic bullshit with Clarke and Kubrick being reincarnations of the DevilĀ 

From what i recall a lot of it is about the search for God, extraterrestrials and lots of other mad shitĀ 

It's a film i have never been able to watch start to finishĀ 

Found thisĀ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_2001:_A_Space_Odyssey

34 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I predict Kimba will post shortly that it was all a lot of masonic bullshit with Clarke and Kubrick being reincarnations of the DevilĀ 

From what i recall a lot of it is about the search for God, extraterrestrials and lots of other mad shitĀ 

Found thisĀ 

Arf, yer no wrong about the chosen one.

One of the best films ever made.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Found thisĀ 

Kimba being on the board is allowing Scotty a lot more spare time.

Not someone I would have hand-picked.

She's gone past the bus stop where she should have got off.

Hopefully you can see the difference between someone living a Christian life in the real world and someone who subscribes 100% to a worldview they found (and remain) on the internet.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Hopefully you can see the difference between someone living a Christian life in the real world and someone who subscribes 100% to a worldview they found (and remain) on the internet.

Doubt she was even on the bus..Ā 

On 8/14/2018 at 7:02 AM, glasgow jock said:

Okay - Just watched this movie for the first time - I understand the beginning, basically the dawn of man adapting to our environment and finding bones & stone to use as tools / weapons, the said early humans (ape like) wake up one morning and find this monolith standing in front of them - the film jumps forward to present day and the space age, then the film goes weird (totally weird) now I understand the movie was made in the late 60's - but could someone try explain in pretty simple terms the story / meaning to this bizzare movie ??

Thanks in advanceĀ :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-URy_Smyyk

Ā 

When you think about it's quite convenient that the monolith appears 6-8 million years ago (going by the hominid lineage diverting from the ape lineage)

We needed a monolith rather than 8 million years of evolution ?

Why did it not appear 60 million years before and warn the dinosaurs (who had already been around for well over 200 million years) that they were about to get wiped out by the effects of an asteroid skelping the planet ?

Or did it think they were too stupid and waited till they pissed off ?

Clearly they werent stupid to have survived as long not to mention some of them turned themselves into birds

Ā 

Who is it that's going around planting all those remains of them then ?

They are that professional they dont just plant bones and magic them into rocks but they also make fossilised poop too and leave that hanging about

And dont forget the tar pits and tree amber

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Praise God I got past the 'bus stop' of religious Christendom who add works to the glorious gospel of grace, making it a false gospel and hence them accursed.Ā  You still didn't answer any of the points I made as to why you aren't a sheep or the bride.Ā 

On 8/14/2018 at 7:22 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Found thisĀ 

Why would there need to be a search for God when He has already given us ALL the instructions we need in His Word?Ā  It's because the initiates don't like the only true God because He says we are sinners.Ā  Ā Sins of pride and self-righteousness again ....just like those in religious Churchianity who are trying to earn their way into heaven with works of the flesh.

Clarke was indeed an occultist, and if you look into Childhood's end and other stuff it gets very murky indeed.Ā 

13 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Where's your boasting in the cross of Christ Scotty?Ā  Ā  I haven't got anything to boast about in myself since God did all the work.

You don't seem to realise 'living the Christian life' is not part of salvation.Ā  It's salvation first - without works when someone BELIEVES the gospel. Then you read God's Word rightly divided and allow the SOUND DOCTRINE to get down into your inner man/soul.Ā  Ā  Get out of religious Churchianity while you can!

Edited by Kimba

5 hours ago, Kimba said:

Why would there need to be a search for God when He has already given us ALL the instructions we need in His Word?Ā I

He/She/It hasn'tĀ 

The words are written by menĀ 

All men are liarsĀ 

35 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Even when IĀ agree she doesn't accept it and still wants to argue (so what's the point?)

2 Timothy 3:16

If you go back to the thread it was on, you will see you did not respond after I posted the evidence that the rapture is part of the mystery given to Paul and cannot be found in the gospels plus why you are not the bride.Ā Ā Care to answer now?