The End of Subscription Sport's TV? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The End of Subscription Sport's TV?

I see Sky and BT between them have managed to lose Italian, Spanish and Dutch Football TV rights. Eleven Sports have won the rights. They only offer their package online and UK and Ireland subscribers cant actually sign up as Eleven Sports don't operate here. There is the odd game on Facebook which you can see if your register with them. I can see Sky and BT losing more ground to the new boys in the next few years. 

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Stupid question probably, but does that mean pubs won’t have the Spanish games, unless they stream them?

I quite like going for a pint on a Sunday night and watching the early Spanish game.

That’s exactly what it means. 

USPGA at the weekend was a farce.  Instead of trying to widen the net on a declining sport the PGA chose to sell out to the highest bidder and preclude half the world from watching it.  I subscribed to Eleven Sports and managed to HDMI it to my tele - but it was crap.  If is wasn't a major (which s shouldn't be but that's another topic), i wouldn't have bothered.

I feel a conversation with SKY coming - anyone got any tips on getting a decent deal?  I believe Amazon Prime has picked up some of the EPL (I'm not so bothered about that) but if Sky has now also lost Spanish football, that's an issue.......  

Gutted about this love my foreign football, ditched sky when they lost the Spanish then was going to get bt till they lost the Italian. Eleven sports reviews aren't very complimentary, hopefully somebody picks up the highlights package surely the demand is there

3 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

USPGA at the weekend was a farce.  Instead of trying to widen the net on a declining sport the PGA chose to sell out to the highest bidder and preclude half the world from watching it.  I subscribed to Eleven Sports and managed to HDMI it to my tele - but it was crap.  If is wasn't a major (which s shouldn't be but that's another topic), i wouldn't have bothered.

I feel a conversation with SKY coming - anyone got any tips on getting a decent deal?  I believe Amazon Prime has picked up some of the EPL (I'm not so bothered about that) but if Sky has now also lost Spanish football, that's an issue.......  

2 things. The sport is staying steady in the States and why shouldn’t the USPGA be a Major? 

27 minutes ago, macy37 said:

2 things. The sport is staying steady in the States and why shouldn’t the USPGA be a Major? 

Think the wide view is that golf is a declining participation sport and the US is no exception to that.  Will try and dig out some references.  There are three majors in the US which does not seem fair for a global sport. Clearly the USPGA is the weakest of them. Unfortunately, like everything else in sport these days, money is the key factor.  I'd prefer to see a fourth major that is moved around Asia/Africa/Middle East - this would do more for the sport's interest levels.

1 hour ago, SMcoolJ said:

Think the wide view is that golf is a declining participation sport and the US is no exception to that.  Will try and dig out some references.  There are three majors in the US which does not seem fair for a global sport. Clearly the USPGA is the weakest of them. Unfortunately, like everything else in sport these days, money is the key factor.  I'd prefer to see a fourth major that is moved around Asia/Africa/Middle East - this would do more for the sport's interest levels.

The USPGA actually has the strongest field of any Major. It’s a great Major Championship now. If any should go it’s the Masters. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Is here any chance any of this could derail the EPL gravy train?  I see in the news today that Bournemouth could play in an empty stadium and still make a massive profit.  

Probably not as it's just opened the bidding war even wider.

7 hours ago, macy37 said:

The USPGA actually has the strongest field of any Major. It’s a great Major Championship now. If any should go it’s the Masters. 

9 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I reckon that rather than move one (the uspga), they should take it in turns to move. So one year, the US Open moves, the next it’s the USPGA, the next it’s The Open (must go somewhere at least linksy), and then, well, I dunno if it’s possible for the Masters to move.

I’d be gutted if the Open were ever to move, though. I have major issues with it going to Royal St George - it’s just to keep southern English happy. Birkdale superb and Lytham ok tho. Hoylake I dunno.

41 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I reckon that rather than move one (the uspga), they should take it in turns to move. So one year, the US Open moves, the next it’s the USPGA, the next it’s The Open (must go somewhere at least linksy), and then, well, I dunno if it’s possible for the Masters to move.

I’d be gutted if the Open were ever to move, though. I have major issues with it going to Royal St George - it’s just to keep southern English happy. Birkdale superb and Lytham ok tho. Hoylake I dunno.

Sure I read somewhere that from next season the US PGA is moving to May to accommodate TV scheduling, thus making the Open the last major of the golfing year - basically April to July there will be a major each month. Apparently also moving other big tournaments on the PGA calendar as they clash with the NFL.

10 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Sure I read somewhere that from next season the US PGA is moving to May to accommodate TV scheduling, thus making the Open the last major of the golfing year - basically April to July there will be a major each month. Apparently also moving other big tournaments on the PGA calendar as they clash with the NFL.

Aye, the PGA is going to May so that they can fit the FedEx Cup or whatever the end of season money grab is in before the NFL starts in early September.

Players Championship in March, Masters in April, US PGA in May, US Open in June and The Open in July.

Not sure how that will affect some of the bigger European Tour events - could be negative for the BMW PGA at Wentworth but perhaps the end of season events in Middle East could benefit.