Lifted Over The Turnstiles - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lifted Over The Turnstiles

I was given a copy of this book for my birthday - real recommended reading/viewing. It's a collection of rare photos "from the black & white era" of Scottish grounds. I've only been to around 10 or so Scottish grounds but even so, it's fascinating to see ones that have changed, ones that haven't (much anyway) & even looking at grounds I never visited, relating to the loss of 'real' football grounds that I've experienced in England.

I don't know if anyone else has seen it?

https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/lifted-over-the-turnstiles

Book sounds up my street.   “Time was passing like a hand waving from a train I wanted to be on," and all that.

Ally, I was lifted over them same turnstiles, and (unless my wee boy memory is screwed up, Hampden too?)   I still go to New DP on rare occasions, but have still never seen Accies win.   This will of course be of no surprise to viewers in colour or black and white.

Huddy, my birthday is in a couple of months, so here's hoping...

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Book sounds up my street.   “Time was passing like a hand waving from a train I wanted to be on," and all that.

Ally, I was lifted over them same turnstiles, and (unless my wee boy memory is screwed up, Hampden too?)   I still go to New DP on rare occasions, but have still never seen Accies win.   This will of course be of no surprise to viewers in colour or black and white.

Huddy, my birthday is in a couple of months, so here's hoping...

Start dropping the hints!

I just looked up Douglas Park - it was an Archibald Leitch one & the photo shows a large advert for Senior Service across the top next to one for 'Condor Sliced'. None of this Chinese gambling site nonsense back then :)

It talks about the Belfast Truss roof design as well - a kind of barrel which bears a passing resemblance to our old Cowshed (also a Leitch-designed ground).

a376eab2d02b499d14f91f1fcd55ca00.jpg

6_7.jpg?itok=qO4CUnSx

Dunno about architecture, but Douglas Park was my first ever floodlight game.   Packed, mid week cup game vs The Mighty Montrose.

Folk greet about midweek games for internationals; understandably given work & travel, but I always found them magical.   In fact I don't remember Scotland playing on a Saturday until fairly recently.   (I must have had something else to do until the 2000's :blush: )

Give me clouds of cold breath in the air on pre-seated terraces anytime.   (Under a coo-shed roof in the rain mind you...)

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Dunno about architecture, but Douglas Park was my first ever floodlight game.   Packed, mid week cup game vs The Mighty Montrose.

Folk greet about midweek games for internationals; understandably given work & travel, but I always found them magical.   In fact I don't remember Scotland playing on a Saturday until fairly recently.   (I must have had something else to do until the 2000's :blush: )

Give me clouds of cold breath in the air on pre-seated terraces anytime.   (Under a coo-shed roof in the rain mind you...)

I know what you mean. My first ever night match was a League Cup game against Leeds in 1974 (it turned out to be Brian Clough’s last game as their manager after they scraped a 1-1 with a late fluke in spite of us being two, soon to be three, divisions below them). I was 10 & the atmosphere was electric. I’ve loved night matches ever since. 

I inadvertently sneaked my wee boy into NDP last season.

:lol:

it was quite a long turnstile and he’d walked in ahead, so when I got to the window she hadn’t seen him and I didn’t let on.

Best result I’ve ever had at NDP!

:lol:

Earliest football memories are of getting lifted over at Fir Park, there was also a wee guy who stood at a wee wooden door on the big floodgate used to usher me in and wait with me until my dad got through. Yellow jackets nowadays would never do something like that.

16 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

My older cousin was part of the Accies mad squad around that time (when they actually had a good support with a wide variety of songs) and i can remember him going to that Montrose tie and he still talks about it

Think it was special as in the early to mid 70s Montrose regularly skelped Accies home and away

16 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

100%

There’s something magical about a game under the lights!

Actually midweek games are more accessible for me due to work and family, but I’ve always liked them.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

My older cousin was part of the Accies mad squad around that time (when they actually had a good support with a wide variety of songs) and i can remember him going to that Montrose tie and he still talks about it

Think it was special as in the early to mid 70s Montrose regularly skelped Accies home and away

Montrose v Hamilton Accies - was this  some kind of simmering rivalry back then that has now been completely forgotten about?

My first game under the lights was a game at Broomfield in the mid 70's, Airdrie v Dunfermline. My Da got done for speeding on the way there so we were a bit late getting in. Airdrie were already 2-1 up when we arrived. We left early as my Da was nightshift. It was 3-1 by then. When I checked the paper next day it had finished 5-2. 7 feckin goals and I only saw one of them! 😂

31 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Montrose v Hamilton Accies - was this  some kind of simmering rivalry back then that has now been completely forgotten about?

Surprisingly it would seem so

The Links Park Dynamo as they were known then

28th February 1973
The first Floodlit Match played at Douglas Park when Montrose were the visitors in a Scottish Cup Replay which the visitors won 1-0 in front of 10,100. It has been said that the crowd figure was nearer 14,000.

9thAugust 1973
Leeds United are defeated 4-3 at Douglas Park. Neil Hood scores a hat trick with Paul Hegarty getting the other.

14th April 1976
Allan Hughes made history when he came on as a substitute and scored a hat trick against Montrose at Douglas Park in the Spring Cup. The visitors won the first leg 3-1 and were 5-2 ahead in the second with half an hour to go. 5 goals were netted to give Accies a remarkable 7-6 win on aggregate. There were 30 seconds remaining when the winner was scored.

Edited by Ally Bongo