Ayr Races - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was at Ayr Rces yesterday, Ladies Day. Had Grandstand tickets, the experience was underwhelming to say the least. 

The sports bar was like being in a giant bookies shop,  with drinks in cheap plastic cups and really poor choice of spirits and wine. Ie. no choice. I realise that  alcohol  is not a top priority at the horse racing but it really was shit. The food choice was worse.

Then we had an X factor winner warbling out the usual ballads.  

I am supposed to be going with my family in Sep for the Gold Cup. Does anyone know if the Club tickets provide a better experience? The thought of the weather being crap and being stuck in the sports bar all afternoon is not too appealing. I really am normally pretty relaxed about things but it was a bit rough and ready for the effort of digging out my best frock.  

Not sure I am interested enough to fork out on hospitality as it would be a stretch for my young daughters but if it is only real option I may consider it. 

Any tips on how to make the most of the day would be appreciated. I have tried looking online but there is very little  information. 

I was there yesterday myself and pretty much hated the entire set up. The fact that the Club stand and Grandstand were on the same ticket along with the entertainment (which was shit) being on at the same time as the races made it feel more like a wedding reception than a race meeting.

Ayr racecourse certainly aint changed for the better IMO but at least at the Gold Cup the horse racing will be the main focus.

3 hours ago, fishcumnock said:

go into Ayr first then club tickets pick your horses at start of meeting and get a good spot to view.

get a breakfast in Hourstons to set you up. might be there myself. enjoy anyway.

Thanks. Is the area that you can get in with a club ticket (above the sportsbar  ) better than the sportsbar? 

1 hour ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

I was there yesterday myself and pretty much hated the entire set up. The fact that the Club stand and Grandstand were on the same ticket along with the entertainment (which was shit) being on at the same time as the races made it feel more like a wedding reception than a race meeting.

Ayr racecourse certainly aint changed for the better IMO but at least at the Gold Cup the horse racing will be the main focus.

A wedding reception is exactly what it was like. But at least you get a seat at a wedding reception. There were young girls sitting on the floor in a circle with their handbags in the middle. I thought the non-branded gin I was drinking had transported me back to Toledo Junction 1981.

What normally happens in that bar when it is afternoon races,  surely Mr X Factor winner doesn't turn up at every event? With my luck Lulu will be at the Gold Cup.  

Edited by TDYER63

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Now there's a blast from the past!!  Albeit I wasn't frequenting quite as early as 1981!! :wink2:

Gee thanks. I could have done without the exclamation mark reinforcing the point 🙄

I worked in Minstros at the top of the road. I wore a hat with a feather in it  when I went for a night out. It was quite unique in Paisley in those days 🙂

It wasnt a glengary ....

4 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

been to the national at Ayr.  Club much better than the Grandstand in my opinion.  More space, champagne tent better feel.

Thanks, I know the focus should be on the horses but I wouldnt know the difference between a thoroughbred and  Shrek’s donkey so the overall experience is important.  I think it could be a good day if done right and within budget.   

I have just found out there is Club Premier too,  in a marquee by the finishing line . You are guaranteed a seat which is a big plus, though that ticket is 40 quid dearer than a normal club ticket. I could buy a reclining armchair from Ikea for that. They dont allow you to bring your own food and drink into the races,  but to my knowledge  there are no rules on armchairs. 

Does anyone know if the club premier is worth the extra money ? 

Maybe I should just go to Ikea for a hot dog 🤫 

We were there last year on a Club ticket - absolutely loved it and found it way better to Ladies Day at Hamilton Race course but we didn't hang around for the post-race nonsense at either racecourse.

19 minutes ago, jenblueeyes said:

We were there last year on a Club ticket - absolutely loved it and found it way better to Ladies Day at Hamilton Race course but we didn't hang around for the post-race nonsense at either racecourse.

Great, a woman’s input ! ( no disrespect guys I appreciate all feedback  ❤️)  

Can I ask a few questions please Jen.

Was it Ladies Day last year or the Gold cup ? 

Was it standard club ticket and if so  did you get a seat? If so how early did you need to be there, eg were you there for opening?   I know i seem obsessed with getting a seat but I have a bad back, ironically for sitting at a desk for too long 🙄

Now for my next obsession. Was there much of a choice of wine/ spirits or was it just the wee individual bottles of wine  and a plastic cup ? If I get a seat this question is not as important  as I am a generally happier person with a seat. 

Was the food choice more than scotch pies and hotdogs ?

Even a sandwich ? 

23 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Great, a woman’s input ! ( no disrespect guys I appreciate all feedback  ❤️)  

Can I ask a few questions please Jen.

Was it Ladies Day last year or the Gold cup ? 

Was it standard club ticket and if so  did you get a seat? If so how early did you need to be there, eg were you there for opening?   I know i seem obsessed with getting a seat but I have a bad back, ironically for sitting at a desk for too long 🙄

Now for my next obsession. Was there much of a choice of wine/ spirits or was it just the wee individual bottles of wine  and a plastic cup ? If I get a seat this question is not as important  as I am a generally happier person with a seat. 

Was the food choice more than scotch pies and hotdogs ?

Even a sandwich ? 

It wasn't Ladies Day - we were there the day before.

We were drinking champagne so I can't comment on the wine options. It was proper bottles of champagne but good quality plastic glasses.

Food wasn't great. You had to go back into the grandstand and it was just the stuff on offer in there. Can't remember what it was but I remember being unimpressed.

We were there for the start so there were lots of seats available at that time. Filled up pretty quickly though.

Think it was just the basic club ticket but I'm not sure as I didn't sort them - I'll try to find out.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:18 PM, TDYER63 said:

I was at Ayr Rces yesterday, Ladies Day. Had Grandstand tickets, the experience was underwhelming to say the least. 

The sports bar was like being in a giant bookies shop,  with drinks in cheap plastic cups and really poor choice of spirits and wine. Ie. no choice. I realise that  alcohol  is not a top priority at the horse racing but it really was shit. The food choice was worse.

Then we had an X factor winner warbling out the usual ballads.  

I am supposed to be going with my family in Sep for the Gold Cup. Does anyone know if the Club tickets provide a better experience? The thought of the weather being crap and being stuck in the sports bar all afternoon is not too appealing. I really am normally pretty relaxed about things but it was a bit rough and ready for the effort of digging out my best frock.  

Not sure I am interested enough to fork out on hospitality as it would be a stretch for my young daughters but if it is only real option I may consider it. 

Any tips on how to make the most of the day would be appreciated. I have tried looking online but there is very little  information. 

You've gone aw snobby Sis. I remember the day when you were happy wi the donkeys at Ayr beach and a pokey hat.

Damn disgrace!

On 8/13/2018 at 6:30 PM, TDYER63 said:

Gee thanks. I could have done without the exclamation mark reinforcing the point 🙄

I worked in Minstros at the top of the road. I wore a hat with a feather in it  when I went for a night out. It was quite unique in Paisley in those days 🙂

It wasnt a glengary ....

That hat fair got around! Will anybody be wearing square toed cowboy boots? I’ve 3 pairs of dungarees arriving soon (as mentioned on elite board) you can borrow a pair and between them and your feathered hat there won’t be a person near you the entire day, therefore seats galore. 😎😎

12 hours ago, G-Man said:

That hat fair got around! Will anybody be wearing square toed cowboy boots? I’ve 3 pairs of dungarees arriving soon (as mentioned on elite board) you can borrow a pair and between them and your feathered hat there won’t be a person near you the entire day, therefore seats galore. 😎😎

Oi!

What goes on Elite Board STAYS on Elite Board.

Oh, and you have email!

Edited by Flure

On 8/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Club is far better. More room, better tents etc and get to see parade ring/finish line a lot easier.

If you are going Gold Cup day it'll be sold out and about 4 times busier than it was on Saturday!

Ladies day always a wee bit quieter but in recent years even it has been busy.

17 hours ago, jenblueeyes said:

It wasn't Ladies Day - we were there the day before.

We were drinking champagne so I can't comment on the wine options. It was proper bottles of champagne but good quality plastic glasses.

Food wasn't great. You had to go back into the grandstand and it was just the stuff on offer in there. Can't remember what it was but I remember being unimpressed.

We were there for the start so there were lots of seats available at that time. Filled up pretty quickly though.

Think it was just the basic club ticket but I'm not sure as I didn't sort them - I'll try to find out.

Seems to be the opinion that club is a reasonable step up so I think I will  go with that. I am not bothered about it being really busy so long as I am not standing all day getting knocked about , I am only a wee thing.

Maybe I could go dressed as a jockey , that should guarantee a seat 🤫

Jen, I think with club premier your table is  in a marquee next to the ground , so if you werent in there it was probably standard club you had,  which is good news.

Many thanks for your info. 

14 hours ago, Marky said:

You've gone aw snobby Sis. I remember the day when you were happy wi the donkeys at Ayr beach and a pokey hat.

Damn disgrace!

I would still be happy with a donkey, how cool would it be to parade around the racecourse on a donkey. And even better,  I would have a seat ! 

You gtf, I am no taking lectures on snobbyness from a guy who parades around Italy with a new pair of Gucci shoes in a handbag. 

13 hours ago, G-Man said:

I havent heard from Fairbairn since I mentioned the hat. Unfortunately he may actually remember me ,  which is a concern 🙁 I wonder if I barred him from the pub I worked in at the time 🤫

I will check out the dungarees on the board that should not be mentioned. Is one of the pairs in Mr Tidys size ? Just wondering if you had taken up my idea of the joint work venture ?  

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I havent heard from Fairbairn since I mentioned the hat. Unfortunately he may actually remember me ,  which is a concern 🙁 I wonder if I barred him from the pub I worked in at the time 🤫

I will check out the dungarees on the board that should not be mentioned. Is one of the pairs in Mr Tidys size ? Just wondering if you had taken up my idea of the joint work venture ?  

I first went to Toldeo Junction around 1992-1993 so it's unlikely our paths would have crossed!  The only pub I've ever been barred from in Paisley was the old Cafe Borgia for saying something "unforgivable" to the guy behind the bar.  He wouldn't tell my mates what I said and I have no recollection of the event so to this day I'm none the wiser!!

28 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I first went to Toldeo Junction around 1992-1993 so it's unlikely our paths would have crossed!  The only pub I've ever been barred from in Paisley was the old Cafe Borgia for saying something "unforgivable" to the guy behind the bar.  He wouldn't tell my mates what I said and I have no recollection of the event so to this day I'm none the wiser!!

I was the ‘guy’ behind the bar 😡