What currency? - Albania V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What currency?

Mark frae Crieff

The Albanian LEK is not a tradeable currency, so you cannot get any before you arrive there.

Bring Bank of Imperialist Oppressor's notes or Euros (or US dollars, Swiss francs) and you exchange them at the many currency places in the main cities.

A word of warning - do not exchange at places that take a % commission - rather stick to places that show the commission free exchange rate.

As always, if at all possible avoid exchanging in airports or ports of arrival for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Bring Bank of Imperialist Oppressor's notes or Euros (or US dollars, Swiss francs) and you exchange them at the many currency places in the main cities.

I'll second this.

When I was there last year, withdrawing money from an ATM came with a hefty fee though - not sure if that was down to my bank (which is Slovak) and the Albanian bank. Fortunately many places accepted Euros at a fair rate.

1 hour ago, wubbs said:

I'll second this.

When I was there last year, withdrawing money from an ATM came with a hefty fee though - not sure if that was down to my bank (which is Slovak) and the Albanian bank. Fortunately many places accepted Euros at a fair rate.

Good point - because this is a non-tradeable currency, do not use ATMs unless absolutely necessary, otherwise your home bank will murder you with charges.

Albania is one place when you bring hard currency with you and change as necessary.

Bring notes with Lizzie's head on it folks and you'll be fine.

Forget about using a card unless you want to make your bank smile.

Talking to the Albanian Bus administrator he told me that the Albanian LEK has dropped 14% against the Euro since I booked the buses but would honour my payment in Euros as agreed 3 months ago.......so looks like the Euro will get you more beer tokens

12 minutes ago, DavyP said:

Talking to the Albanian Bus administrator he told me that the Albanian LEK has dropped 14% against the Euro since I booked the buses but would honour my payment in Euros as agreed 3 months ago.......so looks like the Euro will get you more beer tokens

Assuming folk take a drink of course...

19 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Good point - because this is a non-tradeable currency, do not use ATMs unless absolutely necessary, otherwise your home bank will murder you with charges.

Think my bank charged me about 10%

On 8/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, Barney Rubble said:

There is no official exchange rate - the LEK is not a tradeable currency.

I swear by the Halifax clarity card, no charges for use abroad.  I paid for everything on it. Take out the hole in the wall and all you do is get a wee bit of interest. Just been in France for 2 weeks and not a single transaction fee and got €1.12 to the £1 whereas at Heathrow the money folks offered 93 cents.

I used  a card last time I was  in Albania  for work. 

no problem. 

im taking pounds english notes i got a lot of strange looks in tbilisi when i asked them to change scottish notes english notes no problem and the funny thing is there is more bloody english fake notes around than scottish lol might take some euros to be on the safe side and whatever shekels i have left

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CAT said:

When using an ATM in Albania, do you get the option to withdraw LEK or €?

From experience in Tirana, one of the terminals at the Intesa Sanpaolo Bank opposite Hoxha's house does so, and the one in the lobby of the Rogner Hotel on the main boulevard, and the one in the Taiwan centre. I would imagine the terminals at the Sheraton Hotel do so too.

Can't speak for Shkodra as I've never had to use an ATM there.

Edited by Barney Rubble

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

From experience in Tirana, one of the terminals at the Intesa Sanpaolo Bank opposite Hoxha's house does so, and the one in the lobby of the Rogner Hotel on the main boulevard, and the one in the Taiwan centre. I would imagine the terminals at the Sheraton Hotel do so too.

Can't speak for Shkodra as I've never had to use an ATM there.

Thanks for the reply.

Without doubt the best card to use abroad is the Starling Bank card. It is an online bank and its big selling point is that it is the ideal card to use for travelling. Great exchange rates with 0% commision. No fees for using abroad. Using the card at the moment will give you 142Lek to the £

You apply for a card online and is usually through the letterbox within a couple of days. Have used it in Mexico and Spain and its brilliant. Also gives you an instant price of exchange on your app so you can keep track of your spends.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:53 PM, @neaver82 said:

Without doubt the best card to use abroad is the Starling Bank card. It is an online bank and its big selling point is that it is the ideal card to use for travelling. Great exchange rates with 0% commision. No fees for using abroad. Using the card at the moment will give you 142Lek to the £

You apply for a card online and is usually through the letterbox within a couple of days. Have used it in Mexico and Spain and its brilliant. Also gives you an instant price of exchange on your app so you can keep track of your spends.

With you on this. Ordered my Starling card on Wednesday and card came 3days later. Recommended on many money sites and saves taking Euro’s or English notes.