Nations League - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

exile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

I'm pretty sure there a overal ranking that ranks the teams in order where the finish , so for example if we where to finish second we would need all the teams above us to qulify to get a playoff spot.

Win tonight and we get a playoff spot either way so let just do that ......

Edited by bookerman

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

I'm pretty sure there a overal ranking that ranks the teams in order where the finish , so for example if we where to finish second we would need all the teams above us to qulify to get a playoff spot.

Win tonight and we get a playoff spot either way so let just do that ......

While a draw tonight would take it out our hands I would guess that we would still get a play-off, albeit versus a League B side. There are still 8 play off spots for league A and B for teams that dont qualify.  You would have to think that of the 24 teams in A & B, 20 of them will qualify outright, would fancy the likes of a Serbia maybe sneak one depending on who they draw.

1 minute ago, bossman4 said:

While a draw tonight would take it out our hands I would guess that we would still get a play-off, albeit versus a League B side. There are still 8 play off spots for league A and B for teams that dont qualify.  You would have to think that of the 24 teams in A & B, 20 of them will qualify outright, would fancy the likes of a Serbia maybe sneak one depending on who they draw.

Hard to say for sure before the draw but I'd predict 10 teams from pot 1, 8 from pot 2 and 2 from pot 3. 

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

Yep

Scotland v Finland

Norway v Serbia

Winners play off in Portugal for a place at the finals. Teams can change depending upon the usual qualifying groups starting in March.

First I heard the final play off is in Portugal, they are hosting the Group A nation league final but not the play off final - those are not drawn until tomorrow I think and maybe then we might not know until the two play off semi finals even happen. I dont want to assume I know it all, did you read Portugal somewhere?

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Yep

Scotland v Finland

Norway v Serbia

Winners play off in Portugal for a place at the finals. Teams can change depending upon the usual qualifying groups starting in March.

I fancy us to make the final. I think Serbia are the strongest out of the other three; in a one off game, we could do it. We have a huge opportunity here; qualification is a real possibility - even without considering who we could get in the actual qualifiers.

Edited by Clyde1998

We are in league B in two years time, we have a guaranteed play-off spot in the bag should we need it, we have home advantage as top seed playing Finland unless either teams qualify automatically, secured pot 3 for the proper qualification, some decent prize money for winning our group and getting closer to securing pot 3 for the world cup qualifiers that are drawn next June. This game was HUGE. 

Edited by romanticscot

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

First I heard the final play off is in Portugal, they are hosting the Group A nation league final but not the play off final - those are not drawn until tomorrow I think and maybe then we might not know until the two play off semi finals even happen. I dont want to assume I know it all, did you read Portugal somewhere?

Yep, I think you are correct, and Im mistaken.

Our semi final is at Hampden, and Norways will also be at home, then one of us will host the final it appears.

8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Yep, I think you are correct, and Im mistaken.

Our semi final is at Hampden, and Norways will also be at home, then one of us will host the final it appears.

Not so. The final will be a draw I think tomorrow, not sure if it will be made public or wait until the semi's are done.  Not knowing if you made it to the final then scrambling for tickets and acomadation for a few days notice is going to be rough. 

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How far apart are the semis and final? Surely they are in two separate international breaks

Are they really expecting fans to be able to book flights 3 days before the final

They're both in the same break. Apparently, there's some draw to determine the final venue - so we should know where we could be playing in advance, at least.

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Not so. The final will be a draw I think tomorrow, not sure if it will be made public or wait until the semi's are done.  Not knowing if you made it to the final then scrambling for tickets and acomadation for a few days notice is going to be rough. 

This is what wiki says..

1.  Host of the final to be drawn in November 2019 between the two semi-final pairings.

Just now, kumnio said:

This is what wiki says..

1.  Host of the final to be drawn in November 2019 between the two semi-final pairings.

I have no idea how UEFA are going to do this, they are 4 different potential outcomes currently, but any of us 4 teams could qualify automatically so there are dozens more possibilities.

If we are in the top 2 of our proper group, then our play of goes to Israel who would then become 4th seeds.  

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I have no idea how UEFA are going to do this, they are 4 different potential outcomes currently, but any of us 4 teams could qualify automatically so there are dozens more possibilities.

If we are in the top 2 of our proper group, then our play of goes to Israel who would then become 4th seeds.  

Yep, lets just hope we dont need the playoffs.

All four countries could conceivably change by then.

If we don't qualify hopefully Serbia do.  We would then have a semi final at Hampden against Bulgaria (possibly slightly tougher than Finland) but would mean after we empty them the final would be against Norway or Finland. A home draw for the final (which is made on 22nd November 2019) would be so massive for our chances. I'd fancy us to qualify right now if we we had the 2 games at home.