Nations League - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

exile

21 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I believe IF we win tomorrow, we've guaranteed ourselves a home playoff IF we need that to qualify!

Norway 9pts (plus 5 goal difference)

Serbia 8pts (IF they beat Lithuania) 

Finland 6pts 

We are on 6pts with a plus 5 goal difference. 

Trying to not get too excited but IF IF IF Scotland just do it, just tomorrow, we'll have a playoff spot and a Hampden one too! 

How does that work with us having a 3 team group, do the other group winners points v the bottom seed not count?

The task is perfectly plain and the reward massive. Huge game for us, biggest in a decade with a real shot at qualification. Hope the fans turn out in good spirits even if the numbers aren't there. Be fantastic to end up the best ranked team in our division also given the doom and gloom (justified) of recent times.

5 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

They certainly have a great chance. I would presume they'll have a semi final at home too.

The Nations League Finals is played in Portugal in June 2019. They are using Porto and Giimares stadiums for the 2 semi-finals, a 3rd/4th play off and the final. It’s nothing more than a glorified money maker and you don’t even qualify or anything for winning it. 

It has nothing do with the play offs for Euro 2020.

They would only have a home semi-final play off at Wembley through Nations League A in March 2020 if they don’t automatically qualify for the Euro’s.  

Edited by magicTs

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

The Nations League Finals is played in Portugal in June 2019. 

It has nothing do with the play offs for Euro 2020.

They would only have a home semi-final play off at Wembley in March 2020 if they don’t automatically qualify for the Euro’s.  

I know it isn't related to the qualifiers but is it not 2 semis and a final to determine the winners of the actual nation's league?

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I know it isn't related to the qualifiers but is it not 2 semis and a final to determine the winners of the actual nation's league?

Not sure of the format, but it was announced the other day that Portugal would host it, seemed to be that they qualified first, so got it. That’s how I read it anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yes but it’s being played in its entirety in Portugal. No games at Wembley. 

6 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

I think a win tomorrow also would ensure us being in Pot 3 for the regular qualifiers. See Wales are still hanging in as a Pot 2 team

Winning would ensure pot 3. However, I think we will be in pot 3 regardless of the result tomorrow. It would take a number of highly unlikely results to put us in pot 4. 

Is it not the case that if there’s a spare place going in the Group C playoffs because 1 of the initial playoff teams qualifies via normal qualification, then the next best team in Group C gets that slot, And  if a Group C team also ends up in the Group B playoffs then it would be a lower ranked Group C team.  Seems fairer.

I think this Nations League playoff has a few swists yet.  I’m assuming Euro 2020 qualifaction will be 10 groups with the top 2 taking the 1st 20 places and the remaining 4 via the playoffs.  But if qualification goes to form, we could see all 12 Group A teams and 8 of the group B teams take those 20 places.  So there is only 4 Group B teams left, meaning a further 4 Group C teams are now into the playoffs.  But who plays who?  would the next 4 teams in group C end up in the Group A playoff, essentially gaining an easier passage than either of the Group B or Group C playoffs?  No doubt UEFA will have a cunnning plan....

27 minutes ago, Redondo said:

I think this Nations League playoff has a few swists yet.  I’m assuming Euro 2020 qualifaction will be 10 groups with the top 2 taking the 1st 20 places and the remaining 4 via the playoffs.  But if qualification goes to form, we could see all 12 Group A teams and 8 of the group B teams take those 20 places.  So there is only 4 Group B teams left, meaning a further 4 Group C teams are now into the playoffs.  But who plays who?  would the next 4 teams in group C end up in the Group A playoff, essentially gaining an easier passage than either of the Group B or Group C playoffs?  No doubt UEFA will have a cunnning plan....

I think UEFA would be fairly happy if that did happen. This system gives the top teams a second chance if they mess up in the group.

As it stands, this would be the Euro 2020 Qualifying Pots, for the draw to take place December 2nd. Germany would fall to Pot 2 if Poland can get a draw in Portugal. https://t.co/eTRb43zXsQ

Most teams from 1 and 2 will make but some from 3 will too. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

I think in that scenario the remaining 4 League B teams would be ranked in the order that they finished in the overall table and would play their respective League C teams (in reverse order). So if we take the overall standings as they are now and assume that all League A and the best 8 League B teams are away the draws would be Slovakia v Romania, Turkey v Hungary, ROI v Scotland and NI v Bulgaria.

How they then determine how the semi finals are split with regards to who plays who in the final is anyones guess. Maybe a draw much like the way they will determine who plays at home in the final.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think UEFA would be fairly happy if that did happen. This system gives the top teams a second chance if they mess up in the group.

As it stands, this would be the Euro 2020 Qualifying Pots, for the draw to take place December 2nd. Germany would fall to Pot 2 if Poland can get a draw in Portugal. https://t.co/eTRb43zXsQ

Most teams from 1 and 2 will make but some from 3 will too. 

If Germany fall down to pot 2 we will almost certainly draw them :(

6 hours ago, Redondo said:

Is it not the case that if there’s a spare place going in the Group C playoffs because 1 of the initial playoff teams qualifies via normal qualification, then the next best team in Group C gets that slot, And  if a Group C team also ends up in the Group B playoffs then it would be a lower ranked Group C team.  Seems fairer.

They will fill the spaces for the playoffs starting with league D and working up to league A. That way the lowest ranked space where no team occupies that space would be reallocated to the highest ranked team that needed it (but ensuring no group winner plays or could play a team from a higher league) and so on.

In reality league D should be very straightforward as none of those are likely to qualify via the traditional qualifiers so the playoff spaces would be filled from 1v4 and 2v4 from D as planned. League C also probably reasonably straightforward as all four group winners unlikely to qualify via normal qualifiers although one or two might. Any vacant spaces would go to next ranked league C teams (as group winners cannot play or potentially teams from a higher league).

Group B could get more complicated as several teams will qualify viamoemsl qualifiers and so won’t need their playoff spot. All four group winners realistically would qualify. So there would be more vacant spaces to fill (from league A first if any League A teams never qualified AND if all four group winners qualified as well).  League A playoffs almost certainly will contain non group winning teams from league B moving up to fill the vacant spaces as you’d expect all League A group winners to qualify and less than four non group winners to fail to qualify.

Sounds complex, but if you do it League by League, playoff space by play off space then it becomes much clearer.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

2 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

They will fill the spaces for the playoffs starting with league D and working up to league A. That way the lowest ranked space where no team occupies that space would be reallocated to the highest ranked team that needed it (but ensuring no group winner plays a Sam from a higher league) and so on.

in reality league D should be very straightforward as one of those are likely to qualify via the traditional qualifiers so the playoff spaces would be filled from 1v4 and 2v4 as planned. League C also probably reasonably straightforward as all four group winners unlikely to qualify via normal qualifiers although one or two might. Any vacant spaces would go to next ranked league C teams (as group winners cannot play teams from a higher league).

Grouo B could get more complicated a several teams will qualify and all four group winners realistically would qualify. So there would be more vacant spaces to fill (from league A first if and League A teams never qualified and if all four group winners qualified as well. League A playoffs almost certainly will contain non group winning teams from league B moving up to fill the vacant spaces.

I think this was perhaps a crucial typo. You mean 'none' right?