Nations League - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

exile

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's not "group A". It's "league A"

You are adding to your own confusion by using the wrong names.

There are 4 Leagues- A,B,C and D. Each league is split into four groups 1,2,3 and 4.

Scotland are in League C group 1, for example.

The top 12 ranked teams are in League A. They are split into four groups of three teams. The four winners of each of those groups play semi finals and a final in June 2019 to decide who wins the Nations League trophy. These are NOT play offs.

The play offs for EURO2020 are separate and take place the the following March.

So the actual play-off are March 2020, just 3 months before the actual Euros?

Doesn’t leave much build up time/organising if we qualify through that route.

1 minute ago, McTeeko said:

Dose not matter to us, we would be at home anyway with a trip to wembley thrown in 😂

1 minute ago, McTeeko said:

If we qualify through that route the ticket situation will be interesting !!!!!

12 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Dose not matter to us, we would be at home anyway with a trip to wembley thrown in 😂

9 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

If we qualify through that route the ticket situation will be interesting !!!!!

Aye, still take it though! I’d just like the normal 6/7 month build up that teams normally get 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Or no build up at all - like we normally get? :lol:

Aye but I’m auld enough to mind the times we DID qualify - the actual qualifying, then the excitement of the draw, the booking flights and accom, buying match tickets, squad announcement and the general build up etc  

This new play-off route would cram all that into about 4 weeks!

As I say though - I’d still happily take it 😆

Just now, McTeeko said:

Aye but I’m auld enough to mind the times we DID qualify - the actual qualifying, then the excitement of the draw, the booking flights and accom, buying match tickets, squad announcement and the general build up etc  😆

Dad!

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

The Nations League finals are not the playoffs. I would be amazed if anyone from League A, never mind the 4 group winners, needs to enter the playoffs. 

The Nations League finals will take place in June 2019 which is in the middle of the qualifiers. This is why the 4 League A group winners are guaranteed a group of 5 in the qualifiers. 

The playoffs take place in March 2020. 16 teams will take part in these playoffs. I would imagine that all 12 League A teams will qualify through the qualifying groups in the traditional way (although there could be a shock I suppose). 

The teams that contest the playoffs will be the 16 best ranked teams from the Nations League that don’t qualify outright. 

It would be highly unlikely but I suppose a team could get to the Nations League finals and come 3rd or 4th in their qualifying group. If this happens then that team would enter the playoffs in March 2020. 

I'm more confused than ever now!

46 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I'm more confused than ever now!

I probably didn’t help matters by saying the playoffs will be contested but the 16 best ranked teams in the Nations League that don’t qualify outright as this is utter bollocks. 

If you win your Nations League group you are guaranteed a playoff place (if you need one).  

It’s really not a complicated process in principle. What does muddy the waters a bit is of you finish second in your group you won’t know if you’ve got a playoff place until after the qualifiers have finished but I suppose that’s not any different to the existing process. 

I am also still not clear on where the playoff finals will take place. From what I gather there will be a draw in November 2019 and one of the teams in each playoff group will be chosen to host the final. If we get to the final it seems we could be at home, away or it could be a neutral venue. I suppose we can worry about that if it happens. 

4 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Yeah, I prefer to not take our chance, let's just treat it as top or bust and at least then we have the right mentality. Footballers love an excuse to underperform.

Absolutely.

We would be bit unlucky not to get a playoff if we finish second though I think. 

Surely we won’t finish bottom of our group? 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely.

We would be bit unlucky not to get a playoff if we finish second though I think. 

Surely we won’t finish bottom of our group? 

thought there was four groups in each league, second gets you nothing unless Albania or Israel qualify the old fashioned way, very unlikely.

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

thought there was four groups in each league, second gets you nothing unless Albania or Israel qualify the old fashioned way, very unlikely.

There are 24 teams in Leagues A and B. The vast majority of them will qualify for Euro 2020 via the qualifiers. 

If, for arguments sake, all 20 qualified teams come from Leagues A and B, those two leagues will only require 4 playoff places.

League D will get 4 playoff places. 

That leaves 8 playoff places. The group winners in League C would all get a place and the other 4 places would go to the 4 highest ranked teams (based on Nations League performance) that haven’t qualified which, as far as I can figure out, would be the 4 runners up from League C. 

The above example is obviously pretty simplistic but the fact is 36 out of 55 teams will either qualify for Euro 2020 or get a playoff place.

If we exclude League D (they won’t get any more than 4 teams in the playoffs), then 32 out of 39 teams will either qualify for the tournament outright or will reach the playoffs. There will be seven 3rd and 4th placed teams from League C that will miss out but as far as I can see, 2nd place in our group really ought to be enough for a playoff. It might mean we play off against teams from a higher league but it would be better than nothing.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There are 24 teams in Leagues A and B. The vast majority of them will qualify for Euro 2020 via the qualifiers. 

If, for arguments sake, all 20 qualified teams come from Leagues A and B, those two leagues will only require 4 playoff places.

That leaves 8 playoff places. The group winners in League C would all get a place and the other 4 places would go to the 4 highest ranked teams (based on Nations League performance) that haven’t qualified which, as far as I can figure out, would be the 4 runners up from League C. 

The above example is obviously pretty simplistic but the fact is 36 out of 55 teams will either qualify for Euro 2020 or get a playoff place.

If we exclude League D (they won’t get any more than 4 teams in the playoffs), then 32 out of 39 teams will either qualify for the tournament outright or will reach the playoffs. There will be seven 3rd and 4th placed teams from League C that will miss out but as far as I can see, 2nd place in our group really ought to be enough for a playoff. It might mean we play off against teams from a higher league but it would be better than nothing.

I thought the most play Final places that could filter down to us would be two, the A and B ones and so just lead to three of the four group winners qualifying. no playoffs for the extra places league positions decide, 

36 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I thought the most play Final places that could filter down to us would be two, the A and B ones and so just lead to three of the four group winners qualifying. no playoffs for the extra places league positions decide, 

There will be 16 teams in the playoffs. 4 teams will be competing for each Euro2020 spot available.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I can’t really make out what you mean but there’s a difference between finals places and playoff places. 

16 teams will enter the playoffs but only 4 of those will qualify for the finals. 

24 teams take part in Euro 2020...Finish first or second in your Euro qualifying group, qualified! You do not take part in Nations League play offs, even if you win your group, you are promoted to next tier for next tournament. Scotland`s case up to group B......Draw in December 2018, either a group of 5 or 6 teams...Double headers in March / June / Sept / Oct / Nov. So possibly 10 games that matter in 2019, great after the droocht of this year so far.... I think we will be 3rd seeds. 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Holy moly. They really should just let everyone in to the euros at this rate. So hard to not qualify. 

4 hours ago, The Bunnet said:

24 teams take part in Euro 2020...Finish first or second in your Euro qualifying group, qualified! You do not take part in Nations League play offs, even if you win your group, you are promoted to next tier for next tournament. Scotland`s case up to group B......Draw in December 2018, either a group of 5 or 6 teams...Double headers in March / June / Sept / Oct / Nov. So possibly 10 games that matter in 2019, great after the droocht of this year so far.... I think we will be 3rd seeds. 

League B.:ok:

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I can’t really make out what you mean but there’s a difference between finals places and playoff places. 

16 teams will enter the playoffs but only 4 of those will qualify for the finals. 

I think I get it know, one team from each division must qualify for the finals with the remaining team coming from one of the four best teams not in a division play off based on their positions in the over all league, is that it?

5 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Holy moly. They really should just let everyone in to the euros at this rate. So hard to not qualify. 

24 teams out of 55 will qualify so less than half will be at the finals. It’s no different to Euro 2016 except there will be twice as many teams in the playoffs. 

I think the European Championships have been devalued a wee bit by increasing from 16 teams to 24 but none of us will be giving a shit about that if we qualify.

I have heard rumours that UEFA want to increase it further to 32. That would be ridiculous in my opinion but at least we’d probably qualify. 

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think I get it know, one team from each division must qualify for the finals with the remaining team coming from one of the four best teams not in a division play off based on their positions in the over all league, is that it?

There are only 4 Euro 2020 places available through the playoffs.

It’s highly unlikely that anyone from League A will need to enter the playoffs as they will almost certainly finish first or second in their qualifying group next year  (although this is not guaranteed). 

If all League A teams qualify outright then yes, the four finalists that qualify via the playoffs will come from leagues B, C and D. 

I can’t see any way for League D to get any more than their allocated 4 playoff spots (for the group winners) and the majority of League B will also qualify outright so there may well be some extra playoff spots for our league. 

Lets just hope we win our group then we won’t need to worry about sneaking into the playoffs via the back door if we don’t qualify next year. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There are only 4 Euro 2020 places available through the playoffs.

It’s highly unlikely that anyone from League A will need to enter the playoffs as they will almost certainly finish first or second in their qualifying group next year  (although this is not guaranteed). 

If all League A teams qualify outright then yes, the four finalists that qualify via the playoffs will come from leagues B, C and D. 

I can’t see any way for League D to get any more than their allocated 4 playoff spots (for the group winners) and the majority of League B will also qualify outright so there may well be some extra playoff spots for our league. 

Lets just hope we win our group then we won’t need to worry about sneaking into the playoffs via the back door if we don’t qualify next year. 

So one team from groups B,D and C will qualify via the nations league with other place up for grabs is that agreed? would appear to be strange though if any team that had not qualified for the  group B playoffs would probably end up with an easier route against weaker teams.

38 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So one team from groups B,D and C will qualify via the nations league with other place up for grabs is that agreed? would appear to be strange though if any team that had not qualified for the  group B playoffs would probably end up with an easier route against weaker teams.

League, League. 

I'm starting to think you are taking the pish.:lol: