Nations League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

exile

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/index.html

Seems it has its own flag, trophy and anthem...

But, does anyone understand it?

There is an explanatory video here

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/videoid=2527979.html?iv=true

It seems that it offers a chance of promotion and relegation, within its own tournament final (2019) (but they don't know where it will be yet), but also playoffs for the Euros (2020).

But it seems that there is a route for teams from all levels (A, B, C, D) to get into the Euros that way. So a chance for even lower ranked teams than us (from League D) to get into the Euros.

There is some mechanism we could get relegated, somehow pitched against the third placed teams in the other 'groups' in our 'league'. Haven't had time to figure it out yet...

Actually this seems like a pretty good FAQ from the SFA

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/uefa-nations-league-faqs/?rid=13925

How does promotion and relegation work?

• Promotion and relegation between the four leagues takes effect for the next edition of the competition as follows:
    • The four group winners in Leagues B, C and D are promoted to the next league up.
    • The four third-placed teams in Leagues A and B are relegated to the next league down.
    • In League C, the three sides finishing bottom of the groups of four will be relegated, along with the worst 3rdplaced side. That means that the side finishing bottom of group C1 (the group with three teams) would escape relegation if their record was better than one of the other 3rd placed sides (the results against the 4th placed team are excluded when comparing teams).

--- So from this I take it that there will definitely be four relegations from league C, but not necessarily one from each group. The bottom team in our group could escape relegation if record against top two better than at least one 3rd placed team in another group against the top two in their own group.

Edited by exile

If we get relegated from the group we’re in just now it will be a new low. 

No disrespect to Albania and Israel but if we can’t at least finish second in that group then we might as well chuck it. 

We are more likely to get promoted I think but that will just make it harder to win our group next time. At least we’d get to the playoffs if we do win our group though. 

21 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Our poor away record against teams who aren't garbage, and we have a halfwit in charge of the side now as well 

Seems fair, given that we haven't beaten anyone of note in an away qualifier since Croatia.

And that was in June 2013.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Only teams in the top leagues have a chance of an extra place at the euros (winners go into a knockout comp, winner gets the finals place), all other leagues are just relegation/promotion

No, that's not right.  Each league has their own play-offs for a place, competed for by the teams that haven't yet qualified.

How does the UEFA Nations League feed into the European Qualifier play-offs?

• There are sixteen European Qualifier play off placings available and four more countries will progress from the play off to EURO 2020.
  • Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final, drawn on 22 November 2019, played in single venues from 26–31 March 2020. 
  • This means that sixteen teams will be involved.

Will one of the nations in League D qualify? Is this a good thing?

• Yes, they will. UEFA believe that this will help to stimulate the development of the game throughout some of the smaller nations.
Edited by exile

If you're an optimist, they are creating more and more opportunities for qualifying

If you're a pessimist, they are inventing more and more ways of failing to qualify (including being beaten to it by League D teams)

League D teams could be the likes of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Georgia...

Here is some info on League C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_C

According to this we are the third highest ranked team (or put another way, just missed out of being in League B by a whisker)

If I follow correctly, each group winner automatically gets promoted to League B.

Also if I follow correctly, the group winners play off against others in the same league, so if we own the group we could be up against the likes of Hungary, Romania, Slovenia.

To get relegated we would have to come bottom of our group, and do worse against our group winner and runner up than the other third placed teams do against their group's winners and runners up, e.g. (if everything else goes to form as per tables in the link) to be relegated we would have to do worse against Albania and Israel than, say, Finland do against Hungary and Greece, and worse than Bulgaria (against Slovenia and Norway) and worse than Montenegro (against Romania and Serbia).

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

That's the way the video makes it seem. How do lower league teams qualify?

One of the teams from League D is guaranteed a place at Euro2020. There has to be at least one team from each Nations League at the Euro2020 finals

18 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I can see us struggling over at their places.

Hope I'm wrong.

I can’t see it being easy either but we shouldn’t have to win away to win the group. Two home wins and a couple of points away from home would do nicely. 

Even one away draw and a defeat could be enough as long as we win both our home games. 

12 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I expect us to lose both away ties tbh

Can’t see it. I fancy us to get at least one draw or victory away from home. 2-3 away points would be enough if we win both our home games.

I’m not saying it will be easy but it’s doable. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I can’t see it being easy either but we shouldn’t have to win away to win the group. Two home wins and a couple of points away from home would do nicely. 

Even one away draw and a defeat could be enough as long as we win both our home games. 

I haven't really got anything to back it up... I just think we'll make hard work of it over in Haifa and Shkoder...

I don't know why, but I just feel there's a ring of Georgia and Macedonia about Israel and Albania :lol:

12 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Our poor away record against teams who aren't garbage, and we have a halfwit in charge of the side now as well 

We haven’t exactly lost a lot of away games recently either, except to the top ranked teams, Slovakia and Georgia (the less said about that disaster the better). 

We’ve drawn with Slovenia, Poland and Ireland away so getting at least a point away against Albania and Israel isn’t exactly highly unlikely. 

5 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I haven't really got anything to back it up... I just think we'll make hard work of it over in Haifa and Shkoder...

I don't know why, but I just feel there's a ring of Georgia and Macedonia about Israel and Albania :lol:

Losing both away games wouldn’t exactly surprise me but I fancy our chances. 

We’ll certainly do it the hard way if we’re going to top the group. I can see is going into the last game against Israel at Hampden having to pump them 3-0 or something to win the group. 

I still don’t think too many folks have grasped that we are basically six matches away against similar or slightly lesser standard teams to ourselves from making Euro 2020.  It is so important to hit the ground running in September.

These four games in the Autumn and a Semi Final and Final against other pool C “mini league” winners in March 2020. This has to be our best chance of qualification, as I can’t see us being 1st or 2nd in our regular qualifiers in 2019. 

If we did secure a Play Off Spot in March 2020 we might even go into the regular qualifiers with a bit less pressure on us knowing we had the Play Off tucked away as back up.