Where Eagles Dare - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plane crash in Switzerland leaves 20 dead 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45076060

As Where Eagles Dare is one of my all time favourite movies my senses piqued when i heard it was a JU-52 and yes i believe it is the same plane used in the making of the film in 1968 - nobody has picked up on this yet !

I know this wont interest anyone but i thought i would share it :)

Where_eagles_dare4_zps562fd9c1.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

I remember reading about them as a wee boy - possibly in The Warlord (Iron Annie) - and learned that they were notoriously difficult planes to not so much fly but to manage

They had little idiosyncrasies from other planes and you needed to be well used to flying them

So the fact that some folk wanted to have a whirl in an 85 year old plane is one thing but flying over the Swiss mountains with one with that reputation is another

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Plane crash in Switzerland leaves 20 dead 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45076060

As Where Eagles Dare is one of my all time favourite movies my senses piqued when i heard it was a JU-52 and yes i believe it is the same plane used in the making of the film in 1968 - nobody has picked up on this yet !

I know this wont interest anyone but i thought i would share it :)

Where_eagles_dare4_zps562fd9c1.jpg

"Of the 20 people on the flight, 11 were men and nine were women, police spokeswoman Anita Senti said at a news conference."

• 2 weeks later...

'Twas a fine film indeed. Always hated yon big German wi the blond hair who tried to chat up the tidy burd, before sussing her oot coz she didnae ken where the toon hall was in Düsseldorf. Schoolgirl error on her part.

15 minutes ago, Marky said:

'Twas a fine film indeed. Always hated yon big German wi the blond hair who tried to chat up the tidy burd, before sussing her oot coz she didnae ken where the toon hall was in Düsseldorf. Schoolgirl error on her part.

Derren%20Nesbitt%20%20Where%20Eagles%20D

Derren Nesbitt - born in London

Was great at playing baddies in the 60s and 70s and still alive

Some interviews with him on Youtube where he discusses the film and his associations with Burton, Eastwood and Mary Ure

Mary Ure was born in Glasgow, married John Osborne then Robert Shaw

Took an overdose and killed herself in 1975 at the age of 42

I used to prefer Ingrid Pitt of the two girls in the film but now i prefer her - she really was lovely

Mary-Ure.jpg

where-eagles-dare-mary-ure-1968_a-G-9917

mary-ure-b630e36f-5b8b-4295-b454-096c14f

94698.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Some interviews with him on Youtube where he discusses the film and his associations with Burton, Eastwood and Mary Ure

I used to prefer Ingrid Pitt of the two girls in the film but now i prefer her - she really was lovely

Mary-Ure.jpg

94698.jpg

That’s the chap. Horrible big fecker.

Aye both girls in the film were very tidy.

Ingrid Pitt in Countess Dracula tho. 😍

Bloody nice for a bloodsucking demon of the night. 

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Mary-Ure.jpg

94698.jpg

I reckon that’s the youngest I’ve ever seen Robert Shaw in that picture above. He’s one of those actors who always seemed to look old to me. Reckon the first film I ever saw him in was the Sting and he still looked quite old in that.

He couldn’t have lasted much longer than Mary then? Say he definitely died in the 70s.

He was class in Jaws too.

14 minutes ago, Marky said:

I reckon that’s the youngest I’ve ever seen Robert Shaw in that picture above. He’s one of those actors who always seemed to look old to me. Reckon the first film I ever saw him in was the Sting and he still looked quite old in that.

He couldn’t have lasted much longer than Mary then? Say he definitely died in the 70s.

He was class in Jaws too.

Yep - he passed in 1978 only 51

He suffered from alcoholism and so did Mary Ure - presumably after she married him

There was a lot of make up in his roles (The Sting and Jaws) but there is a remarkable change from 71-78

More to do with letting himself go and the effects of the booze

This is 71

Robert_Shaw_headshot.jpg

His make up for Jaws in 1975

7628339.jpg?229

Force 10 from Navarone 1978

e3f4ac7075078381e5dc4048d462c358--male-f

Looks like he had to resort to a hairpiece

Edited by Ally Bongo

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yep - he passed in 1978 only 51

He suffered from alcoholism and so did Mary Ure - presumably after she married him

There was a lot of make up in his roles (The Sting and Jaws) but there is a remarkable change from 71-78

More to do with letting himself go and the effects of the booze

This is 71

Robert_Shaw_headshot.jpg

His make up for Jaws in 1975

7628339.jpg?229

Force 10 from Navarone 1978

e3f4ac7075078381e5dc4048d462c358--male-f

Looks like he had to resort to a hairpiece

That doesn’t look like Quint at all. He was much more grey than that in the actual film. 

Edited by Marky

1 hour ago, Marky said:

He's in one of the early Bond's with bleached blonde hair. Mind the scene with him fighting oor Tam on a train.

21 hours ago, Toepoke said:

He's in one of the early Bond's with bleached blonde hair. Mind the scene with him fighting oor Tam on a train.

Thought ah was well up on ma Bond films, but ah don't remember Boaby Shaw huvin a square go wi big Tam. Whit film?