This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 188 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

In 1973 an Old Firm league game kicked off at noon, ostensibly for the purpose of quelling trouble seen at previous games which had kicked off at 1500 on a Saturday.

Despite Celtic horsing Rangers 3-1 (Rangers scored in the last minute when a large part of their support had already vacated the premises), there was still trouble in the town afterwards. The noon experiment was never repeated at the time.

John Greig scored Rangers' goal to ironic cheers from the Celtic fans, to which he gave a good natured wave, and received a good natured response back.

Them were the days. Last week's atmosphere was a stark contrast to that.

Nowadays, season ticket holders of Thistle, St. Mirren et al don't bother turning up when the Ugly Sisters and their acolytes come knocking. You don't need to be smart to work out why.

Edited by Barney Rubble

24 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

At no time have I ever said that, maybe you need to go back and read the thread ?

No need for me to re-read as you've introduced a straw man.

(I asked a question.I never said you said.)

26 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I assume by ‘that game’ you mean the last OF match ?

The last Celtic/Sevco match, yes.

27 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I doubt the over-riding factor or the sole factor was TV, the potential for trouble was obviously a major factor.

Clearly.

28 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Where did I say otherwise ?

You never acknowledged it.

29 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Someone pointed out that Rangers had only played 5 games this season that KO’d at 3pm and I commented that I thought that was a disgrace...

Correct.

Now, what's the bigger disgrace?

The TV kick-off times or the need to babysit mongs?

33 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I can only suspect you’ve gone off on your Rangers/Sevco unhealthy obsession which has sent you off on a tangent ?

Nope, their away supports conduct themselves in a manner that best suits an early kick-off.

(As pointed out earlier, the TV kick-off times only mask that.)

35 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

To reiterate, a team ( any team ) having only 5 games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday is a shite state of affairs.

But why those two teams sooooo many times?

(If they were angels it wouldn't happen as often as it does.)

37 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

There will be a number of factors for this, none of them good, I suspect the main one will be the TV money.

That'll be the party line.

(You realise that a Celtic/Sevco game on TV and played behind closed doors would get a 3:00pm kick-off, don't you?)

39 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

If you want to continue ‘hitting the nail on the head’ with your ‘points that are so strong’  then crack on 👍

It's all that's left to do. :)

11 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Clearly.

Correct.

Nope, their away supports conduct themselves in a manner that best suits an early kick-off.

(You realise that a Celtic/Sevco game on TV and played behind closed doors would get a 3:00pm kick-off, don't you?)

‘Mongs’ ?

Very Christian of you. 👌

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

In 1973 an Old Firm league game kicked off at noon, ostensibly for the purpose of quelling trouble seen at previous games which had kicked off at 1500 on a Saturday.

Despite Celtic horsing Rangers 3-1 (Rangers scored in the last minute when a large part of their support had already vacated the premises), there was still trouble in the town afterwards. The noon experiment was never repeated at the time.

John Greig scored Rangers' goal to ironic cheers from the Celtic fans, to which he gave a good natured wave, and received a good natured response back.

Them were the days. Last week's atmosphere was a stark contrast to that.

Nowadays, season ticket holders of Thistle, St. Mirren et al don't bother turning up when the Ugly Sisters and their acolytes come knocking. You don't need to be smart to work out why.

The atmosphere last week wasn't as hostile or as bad as it's been portrayed in the media.

The trouble that followed in town is unusual, it's nowhere near as bad as it was, never the less, that's not an excuse for a stabbing.

The media have been ramping it up as they do, when the reality is far different, they've got a huge responsibility for all the crap that's happened this year. 

28 minutes ago, Mox said:

The atmosphere last week wasn't as hostile or as bad as it's been portrayed in the media.

The trouble that followed in town is unusual, it's nowhere near as bad as it was, never the less, that's not an excuse for a stabbing.

The media have been ramping it up as they do, when the reality is far different, they've got a huge responsibility for all the crap that's happened this year. 

What's was it specifically the media did which means they have to take huge responsibility for all the crap that's happened? 

Be specific

Perhaps is if the clubs did more to act like fucking adults..... that would maybe help. Instead we see clubs playing the victim card instead of taking responsibility, particularly rangers over the course of the season. Traynor even did a YouTube interview claiming rangers were being persecuted. Its fucking laughable and it plays into the media hands.

3 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Played OK today, created chances, didn’t take them. Should have won, didn’t. Winner was as good a goal as I’ve seen in a derby for a while.

Just as I saw it. We were the better team, their first goal was offside and we should have had a penalty. Their second goal was a cracker to be fair. on to Hampden now

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Clearly.

Correct.

Scotty. I am a wee bit lished in gala. U make yourself look a hypocrite thougj pal. No one calls jesus jeezo. Get over the hate which u guys are supposed to preach. Its rangers. Whether you like it or not.

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Despite Celtic horsing Rangers 3-1 (Rangers scored in the last minute when a large part of their support had already vacated 

Spot on, there was 1600 less home supporters in the ground for the Celtic game during the week that there was for the previous home game against Dundee, that may not sound a lot but that’s around 30% less. 

37 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Spot on, there was 1600 less home supporters in the ground for the Celtic game during the week that there was for the previous home game against Dundee, that may not sound a lot but that’s around 30% less. 

Maybe they aw moved roon tae the  sellick end 🤗

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Scotty. I am a wee bit lished in gala. U make yourself look a hypocrite thougj pal. No one calls jesus jeezo. Get over the hate which u guys are supposed to preach. Its rangers. Whether you like it or not.

As pointed out the last time you brought this up...

One can't compare Sevco to Jesus.

Firstly, Jesus died and rose from the dead.

He was the first to eternally do so.

Jesus wants everyone to know that He conquered the grave (and that through Him, we can too).

Sevco deny dying, and deny that they rose from the grave, and don't want to be challenged on this even though they are in liquidation, had to create an entirely new entity, had to legally change their name, get voted into the bottom tier of Scottish football by 29 other clubs, and despite Rangers finishing second the previous season, Sevco had to show accounts for their first three season of existence before being eligible to play in Europe. They even played their very first game v Brechin as 'Sevco' (so goodness knows how their fans can claim an unbroken history).

I don't hate.

The most loving thing I can do is tell you the truth.

"Billy... I'm sorry but your dog died. We can get the same breed and call the next one 'William' if you want, but Billy is gone."

I'm sure you realise that I'm not the kind of person who'd get peer pressured or bullied into believing 2+2=5, but remember... if the truth hurts, don't deny it... embrace it.

In the long run, it'll be for the best.

Sevco are the 'Living Dead'.

Jesus is the 'Living Living'. :)

------------------------------------------------------

Re: 'jeezo'

Unfortunately many do take the name of the Lord in vain.

It's not my job to convince you, but it is however my duty to show you...

“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. Exodus 20:7

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

As pointed out the last time you brought this up...

One can't compare Sevco to Jesus.

Firstly, Jesus died and rose from the dead.

He was the first to eternally do so.

Jesus wants everyone to know that He conquered the grave (and that through Him, we can too).

Sevco deny dying, and deny that they rose from the grave, and don't want to be challenged on this even though they are in liquidation, had to create an entirely new entity, had to legally change their name, get voted into the bottom tier of Scottish football by 29 other clubs, and despite Rangers finishing second the previous season, Sevco had to show accounts for their first three season of existence before being eligible to play in Europe. They even played their very first game v Brechin as 'Sevco' (so goodness knows how their fans can claim an unbroken history).

I don't hate.

The most loving thing I can do is tell you the truth.

"Billy... I'm sorry but your dog died. We can get the same breed and call the next one 'William' if you want, but Billy is gone."

I'm sure you realise that I'm not the kind of person who'd get peer pressured or bullied into believing 2+2=5, but remember... if the truth hurts, don't deny it... embrace it.

In the long run, it'll be for the best.

Sevco are the 'Living Dead'.

Jesus is the 'Living Living'. :)

------------------------------------------------------

Re: 'jeezo'

Unfortunately many do take the name of the Lord in vain.

It's not my job to convince you, but it is however my duty to show you...

“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. Exodus 20:7

Silly cunt. There’s no such thing as Jesus. I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too? 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know when the first highlights of the weekends games goes is on TV and on what channel?

BBC Scotland at 7:15, but they’ll probably be on YouTube earlier.