This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 152 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

It’s a fine coincidence that this somehow appears after last nights Clarke outburst. Timing is everything. I’m willing to bet nothing has actually occurred....

You mean apart from the arrests you've been looking for? 

Done a bit of digging for macy. The three guys arrested according to the daily record were Henrik Murphy, Sean itwisnyme and Brendan bobby lennox mcfallon. The three come from the coatbridge area and been accused of a phone call to mr beaton saying 'you're getting it ya dobber'. The case continues. Still no proof they are cellic fans mind macy ☺

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Sutton bang on the money once again last night. It’s not just a West coast issue it’s the whole nation. Those pretending it’s not are feeding the cancer. 

I assume you're talking about sectarianism? If so, Sutton is talking shite. As much as I like him sticking up for our game, almost everything else he says is garbage.

That'll be the issue swept under the carpet again for the year.

Celtic and rangers in the spotlight for it again - check

Blame society and get politicians involved - check 

Issues statements (huns and SFA) with no substance or real intent to them - check

The deflection tactics always works and now we've completed the cycle because it's a Scottish society problem. It's really not, apart from some isolated incidents, where I'm from nobody gave ir gives a fuck about whether you were Catholic, British, protestant or of Irish heritage, most of us had to wait till we visited the west coast or experienced the old firm being in town to know what the fuck it was all about. 

Tom English and Pat Bonner had to come to Glasgow to experience this nonsense, Tom English spent years in northern Ireland too. That tells you a lot in my opinion.

Celtic and rangers are the vehicles used, to be honest the huns have a far bigger problem but both clubs Imo could and should be doing a lot more but they don't want to, especially rangers, they actively encourage it.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I assume you're talking about sectarianism? If so, Sutton is talking shite. As much as I like him sticking up for our game, almost everything else he says is garbage.

Issues statements (huns and SFA) with no substance or real intent to them - check

The deflection tactics always works and now we've completed the cycle because it's a Scottish society problem. It's really not, apart from some isolated incidents, where I'm from nobody gave ir gives a fuck about whether you were Catholic, British, protestant or of Irish heritage, most of us had to wait till we visited the west coast or experienced the old firm being in town to know what the fuck it was all about. 

Tom English and Pat Bonner had to come to Glasgow to experience this nonsense, Tom English spent years in northern Ireland too. That tells you a lot in my opinion.

Celtic and rangers are the vehicles used, to be honest the huns have a far bigger problem but both clubs Imo could and should be doing a lot more but they don't want to, especially rangers, they actively encourage it.

Exhibit A.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

To be fair, if Tom English said that then he's either a lying bastard or must have been in a coma when he was living in Northern Ireland. 

6 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

To be fair, if Tom English said that then he's either a lying bastard or must have been in a coma when he was living in Northern Ireland. 

I did think that was strange but I think he was referring to the abuse he gets and some of the songs, he's never heard them in either Ireland. It was from Thursday's podcast after the Celtic v Valencia match. Pat Bonner said the same.

Edited by vanderark14

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I never said it was “normal” behaviour. 

I never said you did, I said a few Yahoo's did. 

Apologies, my post was worded poorly. I meant you think.its exaggerated but a few Yahoo's who think it's normal behaviour will agree with you.

Edited by vanderark14

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I did think that was strange but I think he was reffeting to the abuse he gets and some of the songs, he's never heard them in either Ireland. It was from Thursday's podcast after the Celtic v Valencia match. Pat Bonner said the same.

Ok well if he means he's not had it personally then I suppose that could be true. But sounds like he's implying that it's worse here than over here, which simply isn't true.

I also don't believe it's as big a problem as here as some people make out. Other than having songs sung at football, and the odd run in with an orange walk, being Catholic in Scotland hasn't affected me much and I'm 33.

Ideally the songs (and the orange order) would go away, but i don't think Scotland is this hotbed of sectarianism that some people hysterically make out after a few chants by morons at a football game. I doubt most of them even care outside the football either tbh.

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Ok well if he means he's not had it personally then I suppose that could be true. But sounds like he's implying that it's worse here than over here, which simply isn't true.

I also don't believe it's as big a problem as here as some people make out. Other than having songs sung at football, and the odd run in with an orange walk, being Catholic in Scotland hasn't affected me much and I'm 33.

Ideally the songs (and the orange order) would go away, but i don't think Scotland is this hotbed of sectarianism that some people hysterically make out after a few chants by morons at a football game. I doubt most of them even care outside the football either tbh.

Agreed. 

Fair play to Clarke etc for calling it out, that level of abuse is going to piss you off and I’m not validating what he went through but aye in terms of every day life in the west of Scotland I never came across anything. 

4 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I agree that it's not a hotbed throughout Scotland, it's magnified because the OF are on tv and in the spotlight. That itself means it should be stamped out but as I said, rangers encourage it.

I don't think it should be played down or it will be deemed acceptable which in this modern world, it's not.

Before any of the resident Yahoo's get upset, i dont get angry at the songs. They don't affect me but I do resent people saying it's a Scottish society problem

"Funny" story from when me and the missus visited Belfast a few years back.

Went on one of those open top double decker tour bus and the woman doing the speaking spent an hour telling us how much things have changed in the north, pretty much suggesting that all sectarianism had disappeared, then we turned up to some loyalist area and the locals made the bus re-route as they were out for a Sunday afternoon orange walk. We did get some magnificent views of the bonfires with effigies of the pope and flags of the ROI on our alternative route though. I assumed they were also fans of the barmaid from EastEnders because they had KAT written everywhere as well...

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Agreed. 

Fair play to Clarke etc for calling it out, that level of abuse is going to piss you off and I’m not validating what he went through but aye in terms of every day life in the west of Scotlad I never came across 

If people down play the issue they validate it. 

It could easily be eradicated through education and proper punishments handed out to clubs but there's no appetite to stamp it out. 

2 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

"Funny" story from when me and the missus visited Belfast a few years back.

Went on one of those open top double decker tour bus and the woman doing the speaking spent an hour telling us how much things have changed in the north, pretty much suggesting that all sectarianism had disappeared, then we turned up to some loyalist area and the locals made the bus re-route as they were out for a Sunday afternoon orange walk. We did get some magnificent views of the bonfires with effigies of the pope and flags of the ROI on our alternative route though. I assumed they were also fans of the barmaid from EastEnders because they had KAT written everywhere as well...

Excuse my ignorance but KAT?