This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 56 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

27 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

The obvious problem in the first place is a club having 'a people' and 'a culture'.

#baggage

No the obvious problem here is you not recognising that I was having a joke with DandyDunn (who I also know away from the board, so thankfully he picked up on it at least)

On 11/3/2018 at 12:16 AM, slasher said:

It runs deep this stuff. So deep some people don't even recognise it in themselves. I note there has been no discussion over Neil Lennon's latest comments nor has there been hardly any input from the Edinburgh contingent on here. I think that tells you how uncomfortable having that conversation  for some people is. It's high time this country faced up to it! #callitout

So someone asks me, what's all this Neil Lennon stuff? Is Scotland racist?

And what do you say? No, it's just a tiny minority? No, it's not racist, just sectarian? No, he brought it on himself?

I mention it because the story is out there for all to see, beyond our borders, and beyond football, and it reflects on all of us, like it or not. And I am asked the question, I don't know how to answer.   

Edited by exile

I remember Stoke playing Leicester in the second leg of playoffs in 96 for the Premiership. Lennon was gesturing at the Boothen End throughout the game but absolutely shit his pants when the pitch invasion came - quickest he ever ran I reckon.  The majority of the 6-7,000 terrace were on the pitch and if there hadn't have been police horses and dogs across the pitch there would have been serious trouble.  Stoke fans were going on anyway and the majority were over the moon with even getting to the playoffs but with his nonsense was a catalyst for turning dark.  Stoke fans were far from angelic but we'd been on the week before at the end of the regular season with no meither at all.  Not one person on that pitch would have been after him for being a Catholic but there was defo complete weapons wanting to get a hold of him.    

I think he's a knob because he obviously hasn't learnt and could easily have incited a pitch invasion.  If it were up to me whoever chucked the coin should get banned and Lennon should get a hefty touchline ban but that is never going to happen.  Suggesting it's down to racism makes Scottish football look even more tin pot than it already is.  MON jumped about like a lunatic and never got half the shit.        

Edited by ThistleWhistle

On 11/3/2018 at 9:36 AM, Brassrubber said:

Why no discussion on the hibs fans attacks on Hearts fans Hearts goalie ,linesman - constant throwing of objects - flying tricolours wrecking the ladies toilets  but concentrate on one coin hitting a conman on the jacket ? 

Because an ignorant, knuckle dragging cunt threw a coin at the Hibs manager. Up until the moron did this the media would have had little option but to talk about the Zlamal incident, stuff being thrown from both sets of fans, and how physical and ordinary Hibs were. The BBC and Scotsman wouldn't have wanted to, but wouldn't have had much of a choice. And then a coin hit Lennon, and all bets were off. Headline news (front and back pages), all over social media, mentioned on Today on Radio Four, and on Football Focus today. The club's name is now associated across the UK with sectarianism and violence. In large part because of the ignorant actions of one cretin who calls himself a Hearts fan. I hope the club hunt him down and ban him for life, and he ends up in court and jailed.

With regard to the bigger picture, I find the events of last Sunday and then Wednesday very depressing. Those involved in sectarian singing and violence are a minority, but taint the name of the club (and those of us who follow it) with their actions. It has been on the increase over the last couple of years in my view. We can all talk about what fans of other clubs get up to, but I don't really give a fuck about them. We should be getting our own house in order. Anyone caught on CCTV or on a camera phone throwing something should be banned for life. Full stop. Same goes for anyone singing about being 'Up the their knees in Fenian blood' or writing 'hang Neil Lennon' on a wall. Any evidence of any of this should be passed to the police who should in turn be encouraged to take the strictest action possible. And the SPFL/SFA should act against any clubs that continue to turn a blind eye (or worse). Any club. 

Any suggestion that Lennon is partly responsible is plain wrong for me. All manager's have a responsibility not to do anything provocative, but nothing they do then justifies violence from a spectator. We can all probably imagine the abuse Lennon was being subjected to on Wednesday, with police, stewards and club officials standing nearby and doing nothing. I've only seen brief clips of it, but Lennon's 'calm down' gestures hardly struck me as being that provocative anyway. Whatever he did, you have to be a thug and stupid beyond measure to somehow believe that chucking something at him is an appropriate response.

The question I don't really see getting answered is why Lennon's experience as a player and manager has been so different in Scotland when compared with England, if it isn't sectarianism. I was impressed by his press conference on Friday when he spoke about his experiences in Scotland. It's well documented how different he is away from football, and he came across as thoughtful and articulate. To me anyway. He really does too often act like a prick on and around the pitch but it isn't just that. Most of us know that, and is high time this was faced up to, and those who continue to practice sectarianism in Scotland need to be dealt with. When they attach it to football they should be named, shamed, banned and (whenever possible) prosecuted.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You always know someone is a cunt when they run to the opposing fans to celebrate. 

Presumably reacting to being called a fat bastard from Aberdeen fans. Can't see the problem myself and well done to the away support for their amazing restraint in not throwing a coin at him.

11 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Presumably reacting to being called a fat bastard from Aberdeen fans. Can't see the problem myself and well done to the away support for their amazing restraint in not throwing a coin at him.

Well it's Aberdonians you're talking about...

They probably did chuck coins but had strings attached to them.

30 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You always know someone is a cunt when they run to the opposing fans to celebrate. 

He was there already, not like he made a point of running all the way up the pitch, bit of harmless fun. 

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye. Not like Boydy to run anywhere.

Good equaliser there, mon Killie back intae it.

Yeah sore one to lose as Aberdeen have been poor. Just hope they don't nick it in the end

4 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

No the obvious problem here is you not recognising that I was having a joke with DandyDunn (who I also know away from the board, so thankfully he picked up on it at least)

If only we knew each other, eh?

(Yes, Chris is a good lad.)