This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 53 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

It runs deep this stuff. So deep some people don't even recognise it in themselves. I note there has been no discussion over Neil Lennon's latest comments nor has there been hardly any input from the Edinburgh contingent on here. I think that tells you how uncomfortable having that conversationĀ  for some people is. It's high time this country faced up to it! #callitout

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, slasher said:

It runs deep this stuff. So deep some people don't even recognise it in themselves. I note there has been no discussion over Neil Lennon's latest comments nor has there been hardly any input from the Edinburgh contingent on here. I think that tells you how uncomfortable having that conversationĀ  for some people is. It's high time this country faced up to it! #callitout

Heā€™s a whinging wee cunt. Fuck all to do with where heā€™s from or his religion. The wee prick loves to play that victim card.Ā 

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Heā€™s a whinging wee cunt. Fuck all to do with where heā€™s from or his religion. The wee prick loves to play that victim card.Ā 

I was placed in a certain job and denied others because of my religion. I've been asked recently by a legal professional if I was a 'sticky tape'. I've been called a Fenian bastard, a taig, a paedo, a tarrier and a tattie munching bastard all this season. Am I a whinging cunt as well? You have no idea what that man has lived through and I completely get that his character is provocative, but not to this extent. Mourinho does exactly the same down South, the hatred up here's off the fuckin chart my friend.....for one reason only!

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

I was placed in a certain job and denied others because of my religion. I've been asked recently by a legal professional if I was a 'sticky tape'. I've been called a Fenian bastard, a taig, a paedo, a tarrier and a tattie munching bastard all this season. Am I a whinging cunt as well? You have no idea what that man has lived through and I completely get that his character is provocative, but not to this extent. Mourinho does exactly the same down South, the hatred up here's off the fuckin chart my friend.....for one reason only!

I'm going to go against the popular opinion amongst our support and say that I don't think most of it is down to him being an Irish Catholic living in Scotland. Maybe for a small group of hun fucks but not the majority who dislike him.

Clearly he didn't deserve to be hit with a coin but if Hearts hadn't had the goal chopped off leading to him winding their fans up then it wouldn't have happened. He was an Irish Catholic for the previous 93 minutes of the game and nothing was thrown. I think if a Scottish protestant manager had reacted the same then so would have the halfwit who threw the coin. I believe we have an arshole Hearts fan who shouldn't be going to football games, not an anti Irish Catholic bigot.

16 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I'm going to go against the popular opinion amongst our support and say that I don't think most of it is down to him being an Irish Catholic living in Scotland. Maybe for a small group of hun fucks but not the majority who dislike him.

Clearly he didn't deserve to be hit with a coin but if Hearts hadn't had the goal chopped off leading to him winding their fans up then it wouldn't have happened. He was an Irish Catholic for the previous 93 minutes of the game and nothing was thrown. I think if a Scottish protestant manager had reacted the same then so would have the halfwit who threw the coin. I believe we have an arshole Hearts fan who shouldn't be going to football games, not an anti Irish Catholic bigot.

Great post.

16 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Well said.Ā 

ItsĀ about time someone from ā€œthatā€ side said it.Ā 

No offence intended with the ā€œthatā€ šŸ‘šŸ½

Ā 

36 minutes ago, slasher said:

Slasher, Iā€™ve heard it all too growing up as a Catholic myself.

I cannot stick that cuntĀ Lennon at all. Is that because heā€™s a Catholic like me?Ā šŸ¤”

5 hours ago, slasher said:

110% correct. Uncomfortable conversation or just replies of ā€œthatā€™s bollox itā€™s cos heā€™s a cuntā€. The shame will always be in Scotland sadly as no cunt will address it.

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Obviously no a council job in North Lanarkshire/Glasgow?Ā Ā :ph34r:

Seriously though I get what you are saying but there is more than one reason he's hated. You will always get Loyalist trumpets bumping their gums due to his background but this does not explain why the universal hatred for Lennon in his playing days and management career. I cannot recall any other person in our game over the years who has been roundly booed and abused at all stadia. This is nothing to do with his background more to do with his abrasive style, attitude and distinct lack of class.

I've never liked him since that time he headbutted Alan Shearer's boot.

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Well said.Ā 

ItsĀ about time someone from ā€œthatā€ side said it.Ā 

No offence intended with the ā€œthatā€ šŸ‘šŸ½

Ā 

Well I am offended. This is a clear attack on my people and culture.

Never had you down as an anti Port Glaswegian, non practicing Catholic, bigot.Ā 

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

Slasher, Iā€™ve heard it all too growing up as a Catholic myself.

I cannot stick that cuntĀ Lennon at all. Is that because heā€™s a Catholic like me?Ā šŸ¤”

Same. Not bothered by O'Neill or Rodgers. don't like Lennon. Grew up as a Roman Catholic in the West of Scotland. Altar boy for 10 years. Kilmarnock supporter. I feel as if I've got a reasonable handle on what makes both lots tick. I don't dislike Neil Lennon due to anything else other than him being a fud. I would agree, however, that his background/religion is a factor for those who are already anti-Catholic, anti-Irish bigots.

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Classic Lennon.Ā 

Think most of it is to do with him as a person rather his place of birth or religion.Ā 

Do you think Lennon got similar abuseĀ when he was at Bolton?Ā 

Because if it was all down to him, he'd get abuse where ever he goes, no?

If it was all downĀ  to his action on and around the pitch, why doesn't someone like Naismith get the same treatment?Ā 

Edited by PASTA Mick

I will go against the grain and say i admire lennon. What he has had to put up with in our fucked up country is amazing. He must have some courage. But. And there is a but. He is obviously mjssing some wire in his head when he triesĀ to wind up heaets and rangers fans. I agree with yon ex chief of police in that he could easily start a riot. Its the way he is though. Like him or hate him. He brings colour to our game. And i for one like him.

27 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Do you think Lennon got similar abuseĀ when he was at Bolton?Ā 

Because if it was all down to him, he'd get abuse where ever he goes, no?

If it was all downĀ  to his action on and around the pitch, why doesn't someone like Naismith get the same treatment?Ā 

I forgot Naismith is well liked and respected by fans of all teams. It's not like abuse is ever hurled in his direction or people celebrated when he got injured last weekend...

What about Novo, there's a song about people wanting him to die, he's been confronted away from the pitch on numerous occasions with the results being filmed and widely spread on social media. Is that because of his religion as well?

Edited by theweestevie

I know this could be unpopular but I genuinely don't think you can get away from the fact that Lennon's background as a Northern Irish Catholic is a major player in all this. Yes, he is clearly passionate, sometimes aggressively so, but so are plenty others. It is a thing that's always there, a dam waiting to burst in certain supports, and when he shows his passions, it erupts (mixing my metaphors). No, not everyone who gets wound up by him is an anti-Catholic bigot, clearly not, but it's there looming large as an issue. It needs called out, this is an opportunity to properly tackle this.

7 hours ago, slasher said:

I'm Catholic, went to a Catholic school, have a name which is definitely irish sounding (first and second name) but I've never been asked any of these questions when going for a job. Not to say it doesn't exist but I've never heard any of my mates/Family mention it and the vast majority of them are RC (well from school/back home anyway)

I go to the football with guys who are catholic, CoS, Atheist etc but none of us give a fuck about it.

The treatment NL get's is bang out of order and physical abuse is not on but I can't take Celtic fans getting all high and mighty about verbal abuse when they spent most of the game at RP earlier on this season calling Kris Boyd a fat orange bastard.

A Club Open for all my arse. A club open to anyone who fits into the ideals of the Green Brigade.

Bigotry works both ways, you can't have a support who dishes out bigoted abuse each week and then slam others for the same.

Hugh Dallas had his windows smashed/death threats over a game of football not so long ago. The Hibs keeper got assaulted which is more dangerous than a coin being chucked yet it's barely been mentioned.

BR, MON etc etc are all high profile Northern Irish RC Mangers of Celtic and they've not had the same as NL so it's not solely down to his religion/background.

6 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Bang on the money.