This weekends matches 2018/2019 - Page 51 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This weekends matches 2018/2019

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

Years of no sunshine. Why do you think Seattle in the States has the highest amount of US junkies?

You may be right, but the phenomenal summer this year seemed to make everybody even thirstier! 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

I’ll ask this question....if Neil is Asian would he suffer the same disgusting abuse?

Sadly, despite all the “its not his religion that causes this” we all know the answer and those who’ll answer “no” are part of Scotland’s massive issue.

Still ignoring the fact that Logan has had terrible abuse from celtic fans & players since he called out a celtic player for rasism, yet you wet your pants when Lennon gets abuse, Lennon is just as big a knob as Logan but Logans nae the brightest cookie in the jar whereas Lennon is supposed to be an intelligent person. Whoever threw the coin at Lennon, punched the keeper or threw coins at the refs assistants deserve to get hammered in the courts & banned from football for life.

59 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Sooo... your argument is that because some idiot (who we've no idea if they'd consumed alcohol and if he did, it was OUTSIDE THE STADIUM anyway...) misbehaved at a football match, every single football fan in Scotland should not be allowed to have a beer with their mates inside a ground. They can go and have 15 pints at a pub next to the ground though for 1/2 the cost. 

Top work. With that kind of nonsensical logic, you should be in politics. 

I didn't say any of that Parky. Why are you desperate to argue with me? 

My point is that bother like the other night only gives the folk who want to keep the ban in force plenty of ammunition. 

If folk want to get booze back into grounds then they'll have to ensure better behaviour in the grounds. 

Can't remember who posted earlier, but giving clubs a licence and removing it if there's trouble sounded a sensible starting point. 

Personally the way booze is sold in football stadia, as you've described earlier, means I'll never bother buying any. In much the same way as I wouldn't buy any of the hot "food" at Ibrox. 

43 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

The red wine analogy was simply trying to highlight that your implication (that if people want a drink then they somehow need it) was incorrect and that there’s a huge difference between wanting and needing.

Someone else mentioned it - it’s also about choices. I’d also just like to have the option of a beer at the football. I certainly don’t need it. 

As regards alcohol being sold in our grounds, I see more pros than cons. I guess it boils down to the fact that some will take it too far, but that’s the case for most things in life. 

Fair enough. I took it the wrong way, as I thought your point was saying needing rather than wanting. 

I wasn't intending to imply that just wanting a drink was a problem.

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yes because crowd trouble here is so much worse than in continental Europe.

Look at Italy/Germany/France/Holland and you'll see far, far worse crowd trouble on a weekly basis.

I'm aware of this but that wasn't my point. I was meaning the individuals attacking players and managers. 

Ive not seen that happen recently in Europe. As you say there's plenty of crowd trouble instead. 

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly. I like a pie and bovril at half time at the football, especially in winter as it enhances my enjoyment of half time. I could easily go without it though. I don't have a problem with pies or Bovril.

Same goes with having a pint before a game, I enjoy a pint with mates as it enhances my day in exactly the same way a nice glass of red compliments a good steak or pasta dish. Don't need it but it adds to the experience in a positive manner.

I can't believe RB can't get his head round that analogy......I think he's just being obtuse.

No, I was arguing at cross purposes with SMcoolJ. My other posts hopefully clear that up. 

And if you eat a pie at Ibrox you will definitely have a problem. They're feckin awful. 😀 

9 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Still ignoring the fact that Logan has had terrible abuse from celtic fans & players since he called out a celtic player for rasism, yet you wet your pants when Lennon gets abuse, Lennon is just as big a knob as Logan but Logans nae the brightest cookie in the jar whereas Lennon is supposed to be an intelligent person. Whoever threw the coin at Lennon, punched the keeper or threw coins at the refs assistants deserve to get hammered in the courts & banned from football for life.

Aye, Logan and Lennon get abuse all the same. It's not really comparable until folk start sending bullets in the post, coining him and trying to leather him on the sidelines though. Bookmark it in case that happens to Logan and you'll have a point then.

Surely if it was to be trialled, then a workaround could be achieved. Most clubs (I would imagine) in the premiership would have ticket scanners? A scanner at the tills says the ticket can have a couple of pints before 3pm and one at halftime? That way, it can be enjoyed, but not having people scoffing 6-7 pints beforehand and 2-3 at halftime. I know if I wasn’t drinking, I wouldn’t be queuing for someone to have the ones I’m entitled to. 

However, one problem I can see from being a st holder in the south stand at pittodrie, it would be very difficult to serve pints but not drink them whilst not being in the stand as it doesn’t have a concourse there, the stalls are all at the top of the stand and the match can be viewed from there. 

Edited by dandydunn

5 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, Logan and Lennon get abuse all the same. It's not really comparable until folk start sending bullets in the post, coining him and trying to leather him on the sidelines though. Bookmark it in case that happens to Logan and you'll have a point then.

The bullets in the post is from one group of fans/people who cling to a hatred hundreds of years in the making and don't want to change.

My point about Logan was that most clubs fans are guilty of abusing players/officials with very little done about it by the clubs, if celtic came out and condemned the abuse Logan gets it would reduce the risk of trouble same as my club should be doing more about the morons who still sing about Durrant ! 

51 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I didn't say any of that Parky. Why are you desperate to argue with me? 

My point is that bother like the other night only gives the folk who want to keep the ban in force plenty of ammunition. 

If folk want to get booze back into grounds then they'll have to ensure better behaviour in the grounds. 

Can't remember who posted earlier, but giving clubs a licence and removing it if there's trouble sounded a sensible starting point. 

Personally the way booze is sold in football stadia, as you've described earlier, means I'll never bother buying any. In much the same way as I wouldn't buy any of the hot "food" at Ibrox. 

Because you suggested that people who want to be able to have a pint at the game "need" it and have a problem if they can;t go without a pint for a couple of hours. It annoyed me. It annoyed me because it's the nonsensical bullshit that daft politicians and police chiefs come out with, in their attempts to continue treating football fans like scum. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

No, I was arguing at cross purposes with SMcoolJ. My other posts hopefully clear that up. 

And if you eat a pie at Ibrox you will definitely have a problem. They're feckin awful. 😀 

I know that, that's why I had scran in the Admiral on Waterloo Street pre match on Wednesday! I was meaning at RP where the pies are tasty.

35 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

The bullets in the post is from one group of fans/people who cling to a hatred hundreds of years in the making and don't want to change.

My point about Logan was that most clubs fans are guilty of abusing players/officials with very little done about it by the clubs, if celtic came out and condemned the abuse Logan gets it would reduce the risk of trouble same as my club should be doing more about the morons who still sing about Durrant ! 

Logan is a bellend though. Any abuse I've seen him get at RP is always due to him being a cunt before it and looking for a reaction.

37 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

You think a club should come out and condemn fans because a reasonable sized section of a support think a player is a banger and give him abuse during the game? Interesting. Probably wouldn't get round to playing many games with all the statements though.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Logan is a bellend though. Any abuse I've seen him get at RP is always due to him being a cunt before it and looking for a reaction.

No different from Lennon, Scott Brown & Kris Boyd then, as i've said Logans nae the smartest whereas the others I've mentioned are supposed to be, Boyds even got a newspaper column to spout his wisdom 😳 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Surely if it was to be trialled, then a workaround could be achieved. Most clubs (I would imagine) in the premiership would have ticket scanners? A scanner at the tills says the ticket can have a couple of pints before 3pm and one at halftime? That way, it can be enjoyed, but not having people scoffing 6-7 pints beforehand and 2-3 at halftime. I know if I wasn’t drinking, I wouldn’t be queuing for someone to have the ones I’m entitled to. 

However, one problem I can see from being a st holder in the south stand at pittodrie, it would be very difficult to serve pints but not drink them whilst not being in the stand as it doesn’t have a concourse there, the stalls are all at the top of the stand and the match can be viewed from there. 

Yes.

Only certain stands would be allowed, if the English model was followed. The bar also closes before each half starts too, I believe.

I'd also imagine if it was trialled, they'd likely not have it available at certain, high-risk, fixtures either.

I think you need to separate the two groups.

Your average football fan doesn’t like Neil Lennon because of his touchline antics (and on field antics in the past). I doubt the guy who threw the coin the other night did so for any reason other than Lennon wound him up and he couldn’t take it.

Crazy loyalists that send bullets in the post etc. clearly have issues with him that runs much deeper, whether it’s amplified as he’s a divisive character on the park, I’m not sure? I don’t think players from similar backgrounds have these problems? Martin O’neill Is northern Irish and has managed Celtic and the republic and to the best of my knowledge hasn’t had this, Brendan Rodgers likewise.

These scumbags are a problem, but I think they need to be separated from your normal football loony scumbag.

The first thing that needs to be done is to stop this habit of victim blaming. There is literally nobody at fault other than the idiot who threw a coin at Lennon (likewise the moron who tried to punch the Hearts goalkeeper). The more we try to make excuses for these scumbags, the easier it is to justify it.

10 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

The first thing that needs to be done is to stop this habit of victim blaming. There is literally nobody at fault other than the idiot who threw a coin at Lennon (likewise the moron who tried to punch the Hearts goalkeeper). The more we try to make excuses for these scumbags, the easier it is to justify it.

I agree with that.

I don’t think anybody is making excuses for coin throwers etc.

People are disputing the claims there are deeper reasons.

On Wednesday there was an action and an unacceptable reaction.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know that, that's why I had scran in the Admiral on Waterloo Street pre match on Wednesday! I was meaning at RP where the pies are tasty.

Admiral Cajun chicken burgers are the fucking bollocks.

5 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not sure I agree with that. Anyone that is saying he brings it on himself is trying to justify it to some degree.

It’s a fine line.

Looking at Wednesdays incident, it’s an action and reaction.

I thought it was funny when he was dancing in front of the Hearts fans, but I wasn’t surprised with the reaction it got. That’s not to say I think the reaction was acceptable.

Its more Macy’s point about the reaction being because it was a catholic from Northern Ireland that I disagree with.

17 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not sure I agree with that. Anyone that is saying he brings it on himself is trying to justify it to some degree.

He doesn't bring having coins thrown at him on himself. 

What he does do, is engage in wind-ups with thick scumbags who don't know where the line is. It's sad that some folk are so moronic that they can't control their emotions. 

Is Lennon to blame for these idiots? No. Could Lennon help avoid these situations occurring by altering his behaviour? Undoubtedly. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Wise move SH. 😀 

Not been down to Kilmarnock in a while but I believe your pie  supplier has changed. They still as good? 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Is Lennon to blame for these idiots? No. Could Lennon help avoid these situations occurring by altering his behaviour? Undoubtedly. 

Without wanting to derail this, I'm sure people use those type of points when talking about sex attacks. Dressed provocatively, asking for it, walking home alone etc. Could they alter their actions to prevent it? Undoubtedly. Again, it's just a form of victim blaming.